181 Ghost Manufacturing Machine

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 13 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:Thanks, Strange Wings! Yes, this is a remake of #8, of which I did make a thread, but the image hosting was lost. :lol:

In the 1st image, there are small characters written above the larger ones, which as they are more complex, I assume are kanji.

The small characters above the Kanjis are being called "furigana" and serve as a Kanji-reading aid. You spot them often in books aimed at a younger audience not yet able to read the Kanji-writing correctly.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;126517]Thanks, Strange Wings! Yes, this is a remake of #8, of which I did make a thread, but the image hosting was lost. :lol:

In the 1st image, there are small characters written above the larger ones, which as they are more complex, I assume are kanji.

The small characters above the Kanjis are being called "furigana" and serve as a Kanji-reading aid. You spot them often in books aimed at a younger audience not yet able to read the Kanji-writing correctly.[/QUOTE]
Hmm. I know about katakana & hiragana, is this one of these?

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 13 years ago

Yes, furigana is usually written in hiragana style. However, strictly speaking, if you consider the chinese/japanese pronunciation of the Kanjis, the furigana reading aid is supposed to switch between katakana and hiragana:

- Chinese pronunciation ('On-reading') = written in katakana
- Japanese pronunciation ('Kun-reading') = writtten in hiragana

This way it's easier to distinguish between the both ways of reading.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Thanks!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

BTW, there was quite a bit of damage the the films in this episode, I think it was from a liquid spilled on it.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”