How long have you been a fan of Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

Back in 2003 they released a few Astroboy comic books in Dutch. So that is like almost 9 years for me?

Wow, I need to celebrate it next year,
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Amaryllis
Kokoro Robot

Postby Amaryllis » 12 years ago

I first saw Astro Boy when the 2003 version was airing on Cartoon Network, and I'm pretty sure I saw at least the first five episodes, and I was in high school at the time. A few years later, after I finished Monster by Naoki Urasawa, I wanted to start reading his new work Pluto, and I thought to myself, "Might as well start reading the original too." But at that time, my local library network only had the first two volumes of Astro Boy. (So I decided to read some of Tezuka's other manga, like Metropolis, MW, and Apollo's Song.)

Then, some time after I finished Pluto, some generous soul was kind enough to donate more volumes of Astro Boy to their local library, so I began regularly checking out the volumes, and it got me interested enough to track down a few episodes of the anime to watch as well. Yes, I get most of my Astro Boy fix through my local library.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Amaryllis! I'm thrilled to hear that you've been able to read the manga through your public library. I think it would be wonderful if there was a Tezuka foundation of some kind which served the purpose of getting his works into public library systems!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Higeoyaji
Banned

Postby Higeoyaji » 12 years ago

I mentioned before about my father being a Japanese immigrant. He wanted to get into animation so Tezuka was a huge influence on him back in those days. So he got me into it when I was a child. I was around 9 or 10 when the 80s show came on television. That's when I became a fan of it, and I loved the show since then.

I don't have any least favorite characters in the Tezuka star system. (Not sure if it's called that.) But Atom is probably my 2nd favorite Tezuka character. Higeoyaji (aka Shunsaku-ban aka Daddy Walrus etc.) is my personal favorite. I haven't read all of the manga books yet though, I've only read the first three books.

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 12 years ago

well I remember seeing some of the Canadian dub when I was a kid, didn't even remember about it for years until I saw a friend of mine watching "old dog new tricks" from the 2003 dvd set, it drifted back into the reassesses of my memory until I saw a preview for the movie while at another movie, this sparked enough for me to want to see the movie, then the movie sparked more old memories, shortly after that I joined here and the rest you all know.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”