Astro Boy/Princess Knight to be in Brazilian Crossover Comic

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Astro Boy/Princess Knight to be in Brazilian Crossover Comic

Postby Shiyonasan » 12 years ago

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-02-18/tezuka-brazilian-crossover-comic-to-be-published-this-month

Anime News Network wrote:Tezuka, Brazilian's Crossover Comic to Be Published This Month

Prolific Brazilian comic creator Mauricio de Sousa will publish his crossover comic with the characters of the late manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka later this month. This will be the first time that Tezuka's manga characters will be officially drawn by an overseas artist in a work not directly based on Tezuka's own works.

Tezuka's Mighty Atom (Astro Boy) and Princess Knight will join the characters of de Sousa's Monica's Gang to help stop illegal deforestation in the Amazon's tropical rainforest.

Tezuka and de Sousa first met in 1984, and they developed an enduring friendship. They agreed to make a comic calling for world peace, but unfortunately, Tezuka passed away in 1989, several weeks after their last meeting.

In 2009, de Sousa met Tezuka's editor in Italy and asked if he could use Princess Knight and other characters in his comic on deforestation. The editor readily agreed, citing the two creators' friendship.

Source: Jiji Press

Sounds pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind reading this if I ever got the chance.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Finally! I admit, I did start reading some of his works some time ago because I was excited about this crossover. They're great!
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

Took him long enough De Sousa had already plans for this 3 years ago i kinda fergot about it already wonder what took him so long :confused: .

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 12 years ago

This sounds great. :D

Incidentally Astro did have a sort of crossover with Princess Knight during the 1980's series episode "The Time Machine". Astro and Black Jack in fact met each other and travelled back in time to meet a very similar character to Princess Knight. She was based upon the princess heroine but neither Choppy nor any of the other standard cast from Princess Knight appeared. This princess was an adult character loosely based upon Princess Knight. She did have the same official name Sapphire.

This story has been discussed elsewhere on the boards.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

WOW!! Great news! Thanks for the scoop Shiyonasan! I'm not familiar with the other characters, but anyway to get Astro/Tezuka out into the marketplace I'm supporting with my $$ whenever possible!

MORE INFO ON THIS HERE

[url]http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/culture/AJ201202010008[/url]

AJ201202010009M.jpg
AJ201202010009M.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
AJ201202010010M.jpg
AJ201202010010M.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Last edited by AprilSeven on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: found more info and art!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Wow, the guy's got Tezuka's drawing style down pretty well, huh?

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 12 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote: [attachment=]1392[/attachment]

:w00t: Even KIMBA and BLACK JACK and PINOKO!!!! That is just FABULOUS! :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

:lol: Interesting news!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 12 years ago

I'd love to get a copy of this when it comes out! It always warms my heart seeing people who really love Tezuka working with his characters :heart:

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

I love to get a copy of this. If this issue is already released I am going to ask my mother when she visits her family in Brazil this year to look this one for me.

Funny enough my mother did bring me other comic's of this same artist a few years ago I kinda liked the style but couldn't really read it. No idea this guy was this influenced by Tezuka! I should have known some of his characters are Tezukaish.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”