The message Astro boy gives to us.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 12 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:[QUOTE=Strange Wings;196523] :lol: :lol: :lol: Touché!
I didn't know there was a GIF around from that scene! :lol:

I think somebody had made a gif of that scene before I did, in fact I thought you were the one, but I may be mistaken. ;) [/quote]
:lol: If so, it must have been years ago. Maybe you're right, but I can't seem to remember.

"Astro Forever" wrote:I'd never thought of this episode that way! :lol: I try not to think too much of what may be strange, as long as an episode is coherent within the rest of the series. In this case, I must admit that there are many other strange underground/hidden worlds, but no other episode with creatures living on the clouds. :eek:

Perhaps I searched a bit too hard for reasons to rant about Snow Leopard. :p However, the episode's rather moderate animation stuck in my mind, so it has become a convenient target for me. That one episode just doesn't live up to the rest of the 80's episodes in terms of animation quality (my opinion only). ;)

"Astro Forever" wrote:I think one of my main problem with the 2003 series is that I find that the message is too often made too obvious! Sometimes I feel the message is more powerful when not said out loud, when the action speaks for itself instead. But I don't know if it's only because I've watched it first as an adult. :confused: All I can say is that I don't get this feeling when watching the 1980 series.

I see what you mean. Perhaps the '03 series has suffered too much from editing, which may have lead to certain rather obvious messages. I can't judge here, since I only saw a couple of episodes with french dub, and only excerpts from the english one (Candy Milo's voice for Astro made me cut it very quickly ;) ).
I wonder about the series' impression on me if I had watched it in my native language myself.
Impressions we had as children often outweights our adult analytic views, thus I'm not sure if I had gotten hooked by the Astro Boy series so firmly if I hadn't wachted it when I was a kid.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolidiumSherlock
Kokoro Robot

Postby SolidiumSherlock » 12 years ago

Wow, You two alone filled up this topic up to 3 pages!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:Perhaps I searched a bit too hard for reasons to rant about Snow Leopard. :p However, the episode's rather moderate animation stuck in my mind, so it has become a convenient target for me. That one episode just doesn't live up to the rest of the 80's episodes in terms of animation quality (my opinion only). ;)

Perhaps that episode didn't strike me that way because I like the idea of "What do we do when we rely so much on technology and there is a power outage?" :p I see what you mean by the awful drawing style though. There are other episodes I don't like for this reason even if I like the stories. For me it's "The Monster of Clarken" that I don't like, but it's not because of the style or animation (they are beautiful!), I just don't get the underwater monster story, I guess.

"Strange Wings" wrote:I see what you mean. Perhaps the '03 series has suffered too much from editing, which may have lead to certain rather obvious messages. I can't judge here, since I only saw a couple of episodes with french dub, and only excerpts from the english one (Candy Milo's voice for Astro made me cut it very quickly ;) ).
I wonder about the series' impression on me if I had watched it in my native language myself.

Oh, I see! One example: even if I like the story arc in the last 6 episodes very much, at one point there is Astro who makes this long speech about humans and robot (I chose this one because you can see it even if you don't understand the language). It's fine, it fits in the story, but I don't recall the 1980 Astro making such a long speech anywhere. The 1980 Astro seems to want to make a difference through smaller gestures and conversations, in his everyday life. :D

"Strange Wings" wrote:Impressions we had as children often outweights our adult analytic views, thus I'm not sure if I had gotten hooked by the Astro Boy series so firmly if I hadn't wachted it when I was a kid.

I wish I had time to get into other animes, but adult responsibilities get in the way! :rolleyes: I'm afraid I wouldn't even have watched the series; but even if I had, I doubt it would have reached me deeply the way it did, myself.

"SolidiumSherlock" wrote:Wow, You two alone filled up this topic up to 3 pages!

I only made my first appearance at the end of page two! ;)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

While the anime has beem dumbed down to 'tolerance and freedom for everyone' which itself is never bad and a very nice way to teach kids tolerance the manga however obvious shows what kind of Messages Tezuka wanted.

Robots being used as labor work and created to look like fairy tale characters which bothered Astroboy

reference slave labor

- equality for robots not being used as slaves ect
is obvious a message and reference to the civil rights movement of blacks

- Robots wanting the right to change gender

Most likely a reference to transgender and sex change operation.

-Robots gaining the rights to marry humans

Probably a reference to gay marriage.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”