Tenma'63

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

Personally I always felt Tenma built him this way on purpose so he can protect himself, but maybe his insane fantasy of robots ruling over humanity caused him to subconsciously give Atom weapons.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Saruta
Metro City Citizen

Postby Saruta » 12 years ago

The thing is, it could not be Tenma's sole decision. The money was not his, and you don't go around building WEAPONS in a state facility without supervision. AIs - yes, you pretty much do. But not weapons.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

"Saruta" wrote:The thing is, it could not be Tenma's sole decision. The money was not his, and you don't go around building WEAPONS in a state facility without supervision. AIs - yes, you pretty much do. But not weapons.

There is nothing in the manga or in he anime that implies otherwise, other then Tenma's own madness. Dont forget he got in trouble and lost his job because he USED all of the money to built Astroboy

Other then the American movie which didn't really follow the originail storyline the military had nothing to do with Atom.

Visit my DA account!

Saruta
Metro City Citizen

Postby Saruta » 12 years ago

In Astro'63 Tenma did not lose his job after spending the money to make Astro, nor did he keep him as some sort of secret (as in Astro'80). On the contrary, he continued to use individual teachers for Astro, and judging by their looks, they are university professors or something like that. And some years passed like that, too.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 12 years ago

This topic is interesting! But I believe you are overlooking the reality of Japan in the 1960s. After losing the great Pacific War (as WWII was known to the Japanese), they were occupied by the Allied Forces, mostly Americans and were not allowed to have a military; only a self-defense force. So the military would have little say in the construction of robots. No, the creation of Astro Boy was a clandestine project under the direction of the head of the "Institute of Science" who had gone "mad" and back then no one questioned "the boss". Astro Boy has these capabilities or these seven powers because Dr. Temma was creating a substitute for his son and wanted him to be able to protect himself from any harm.
Remember Tezuka was creating a future where technology would help Japan as well as the rest of the world. The military, as depicted in "Astro Boy" were always presented as "brainless boobs"; "General Windy Bags" in "The Million Mammoth Snails" episode comes to mind. Dr. Temma (or Boynton as in the English language dub), was very autonomous and did not answer to anyone as he does in the 1980s version.
Yes the involvement of the military is an aspect of the later versions of Astro Boy, not so much for the Dr. Temma of 1963.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

"Saruta" wrote:In Astro'63 Tenma did not lose his job after spending the money to make Astro, nor did he keep him as some sort of secret (as in Astro'80). On the contrary, he continued to use individual teachers for Astro, and judging by their looks, they are university professors or something like that. And some years passed like that, too.

Oh I have the 60's series on dvd but without any English subs I was sure that the looking at the characters that worked with Tenma on Atom it wasn't realy a big world projecct bu more of personal project.

That and the piano.

Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”