Character Expansion- Dr. Ochanomizu

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Skymouth
Kokoro Robot

Postby Skymouth » 12 years ago

Lol! Good thing in the 2003 series Ochan didn't sneeze every time he got upset like in the original!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Yeah. To be honest, having seen the first episode of the 60's series, I found that sort of odd. Though in all fairness, I can understand why that was there. After all, the anime process was still fairly new at the time, and they were probably trying to explore what could be done with the medium in terms of mixing comedy and drama.

What I find really awesome though is that Ocahnomizu has been voiced by the same seiyu not ocne, but for a grand total of three times! It might be just because I like his Japanese voice, I just think that's so cool!

Skymouth
Kokoro Robot

I've not heard his Japanese voice, sadly. I admit I was a bit perplexed that he had a British accent in the movie though... but the movie (which was the first Astro Boy I saw) was what turned me into an Ochannomizu fangirl in the first place.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Well, you can always look up Japanese clips of Astro Boy on this websit e if you want to hear Ocahnomizu's Japanese voice.

http://tezukaosamu.net/en/index.html

Skymouth
Kokoro Robot

Thanks much!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

You're welcome.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

@ Skymouth - the original Ochanomizu (Elefun) in the American dub had an English-y accent. I don't know what possessed the voice actor to come up with that - but my guess is because it's a very "nasally" sounding voice! I'm old enough to have seen the orignal B&W anime, and the dopey nose jokes used to annoy me, too - even as a kid.

Let me recommend you check out the Pluto manga's version of Ochan. He is AN ANGEL and if you love him now, you're gonna love him even more, because you DO get more of a "backstory" - including his late wife (OMG he talks to her photo), his daughter and little grandson, how he tried to save an abandoned robot dog - and also when he chases after Atom (who has just freaked out). Oh, God . . . Ochanomizu may not have Tenma's "looks" but he is SOOO soulful . . . well, he's like Astro, only human. And not "cute."
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

You know April, seeing your comments really makes me want to read Pluto. Hopefully after tomorrow, I can get around to it and soon.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”