Astro Boy the movie hate it or love it.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Amaryllis
Kokoro Robot

Postby Amaryllis » 12 years ago

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:Which is really strange you would even think those kind of people aren't even anime fans than.

It's not that strange; it's just a difference in taste. Let's take me as an example - I'm a huge anime/manga fan, but at best I'm a casual fan of Tezuka, and that's mostly because of the historical influence he had on Japanese media. (I mostly prefer modern stuff, unless we're talking classic melodramatic shoujo; that stuff's awesome too.) If someone likes the classics, that's great! But if someone doesn't, whether it's because it's dated or it just doesn't suit their tastes, that's okay too.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

"Amaryllis" wrote:[QUOTE=Tetsuwan Atom;198914]Which is really strange you would even think those kind of people aren't even anime fans than.

It's not that strange; it's just a difference in taste. Let's take me as an example - I'm a huge anime/manga fan, but at best I'm a casual fan of Tezuka, and that's mostly because of the historical influence he had on Japanese media. (I mostly prefer modern stuff, unless we're talking classic melodramatic shoujo; that stuff's awesome too.) If someone likes the classics, that's great! But if someone doesn't, whether it's because it's dated or it just doesn't suit their tastes, that's okay too.[/QUOTE]Yeha i cuess so i kinda have that with alot modern manga dispite my love for Urasawa and Oda i kinda find many modern manga lazy art style and all kinda the same looking not bad or something but just not as iconic as old one's anime is just fine in that prespective altough i'm still not found cdi and 3d i cuess at times.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

I defenitely think you have a point there Amaryllis, I myslef am more of a new schooler when it comes to anime and manga. That being said, I do think it's unfair that some people don't at least respect old school anime or manga. After all, if those didn't exist, we might never have the curent past decade or so of anime and manga titles to enjoy.

I'm not saying everyone has to like old school stuff, I just feel that it should at least be respected instead of ignored completely.
Last edited by Prettywitchiusaka on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Needed to explain my point a bit better

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:I defenitely think you have a point there Amaryllis, I myslef am more of a new schooler when it comes to anime and manga. That being said, I do think it's unfair that some people don't at least respect old school anime or manga. After all, if those didn't exist, we might never have the curent past decade or so of anime and manga titles to enjoy.

I'm not saying everyone has to like old school stuff, I just feel that it should at least be respected instead of ignored completely.

Thank you very much. I sometimes feel very frustrated with today's anime or heck Animation fans in general, have zero respect for historical Anime Manga series that has helped today series to even appear in daylight. Heck I am part of this generation and I felt this way since I was 14 and notice how much attention Naruto got but hardly anyone I know knew the Name Miyazaki or Tezuka! that should be saying something.

If someone doesn't like the old school Astro Boy manga fine but at least RESPECT if. If not for Atom there wouldn't be an American Astro Boy movie which is in the end not a terrible but still a Kiddy - dumded down version of Astro Boy which isn't that bad its just that it didn't took the chances it had which is kinda sad.

Another thing that bugs me is that often is that alot of people just look at one page of Astro Boy manga and say they dont like it without reading it. There missing out so much. My brother who isn't even that big of a fan of Anime but both me and him enjoy Tezuka's work and were fans of Satoshi Kon. He isn't that big on Astro Boy but even he felt that the movie adaption isn't really giving a true view of Atom's character and heart of the story. None the less I hope people who will also read Pluto if they find Tezuka's writing and art to outdated for their taste. Pluto is also like the movie an very original take on Astro Boy's story only not dumbed down for laughs but matured as well fleshed out Tezuka's themes in more modern and fair light.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

This is a fabulous thread! There are sooo many valid points being made all around.

I'm of the "original" Astro/Atom generation, and woefully ignorant of virtually ALL modern anime/manga, so I'm a bit biased in the opposite direction, but I have a feeling I can suggest why so many younger people aren't aware of/shun Tezuka in general and Astro in particular: thanks to the Internet and explosion of "new school" anime, there is an "overload" of newer anime/manga with new series breaking all the time.

I look through my Right Stuf catalogue and find virtually NOTHING about Astro Boy, the single title that started that whole company.

People born after 1970 grew up with Pokemon, Sailor Moon and other characters (and Transformers, TMNT), not Astro. And look how difficult it is to find places to legally view Astro/other Tezuka anime. So how is another generation supposed to be exposed to these great stories? It's a shame, but I hope sometime soon we'll all be able to easily see/read these works, and THEN I think you'll see a broader acceptance.

The upcoming Pluto movie could help, I believe. If it's done as well as the manga, it could really shine the light on why Astro Boy is such an important franchise.

I certainly didn't hate the movie, but by no means was it as compelling as the original series. I agree that the characters seemed to be modified to fit their voice actors physically and also in personality. Hamegg was a skinny, nervous, mean-spirited Italian man - Nathan Lane is a heavy-set comic with enough of a heart to shelter homeless children.

I actually like Astro portrayed as a young teen - but did you notice in some scenes he is literally half Tenma's height (and the soldiers picked him up and hung him upside down as if he were a toddler). If Astro is supposed to be 4'6" as a nine-year-old boy HOW TALL IS TENMA? 10 feet tall?

I'm an artist, so seeing his scale shifting all over drove me nuts! I don't believe for ONE SECOND there is a 13 year old guy would let his father pick him up and carry him away as Tenma did when he took him home for the first time.

Tezuka Productions really should have used the movie as an opportunity to introduce people who were seeing Astro for the first time in the movie to discover his history, and make abridged versions of his original manga/anime available. Or maybe do a retrospective of how his story has been retold over the years.

It seems maybe Tezuka wanted Tenma to be less rejecting of Astro as the years went by, and maybe that's why the movie was structured the way it was (with Ochanomizu, my other hero, relegated to the status of a "supporting actor."). The REAL Dr. O never would have let Astro leave on his own, he would have taken him back home with him, right then and there! :wub:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Or at the very least, O'Shay would find Astro while he's being hunted, let him escape, and throw out his best "I AM A MAN" punch before going to find Astro again.

jmb2891
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jmb2891 » 12 years ago

Seeing as how the movie practically introduced me to Astro Boy, I would not say I hate it. Heck, when I first saw it, I liked it enough to make my step-brother watch with me the second time. After watching the 2003 & 80's anime's, I liked both of them better than the movie, then I got to reading the manga.
That said, the movie did have its moments: as stated before, Nathan Lane did an excellent job as Hammegg, Freddie Highmore nailed it as Astro (the dual arm cannons were an awesome addition), Donald Sutherland as President Stone, and I didn't hate Cage as Tenma (granted, I actually kinda like Nicolas Cage).
One part I never liked was the RRF. I get that they were added to appeal to small children, but they were annoying. Another thing is, the 2003 anime made me a huge fan of Tenma's, and, despite what I said above, the movie counterpoint doesn't hold a candle to his any of his other incarnations.

Prettywitchiusaka hit the nail on the head on the first page post.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Please check out:
My YouTube Channel
My Ultimate-Guitar Profile

Lilrawr
Metro City Citizen

Postby Lilrawr » 12 years ago

"__franny__" wrote:I didn't knew Astro before the movie , so after watching it i was felt curiosity about how Astro was orginally ,and i like the original ATOM best xD so i've got obsessed with the mangas and series and all that xD
with the 2009 Astro Boy movie , happend the same thing that with the Ga ' Hoole saga in my opinion , I mean , they just took the basic concept , the name of the characters and build-up a totally new story , creating characters and situations that where not in the original.
I don't know if i hate the movie , i just like it xD i used to love it the first time i saw it (my parents even bought the original to me xD) but after seeing the old anime series and reading the mangas i realized that the movie is ...nothing compared to them. I'm not saying tht the movie is bad. BUUUT i'm saying that the manga and anime are AWWEEEEEESOMEEE *-*

This is basically my same story
:lol:
Dreams Only Last For a Night

I :heart: :astro:

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 12 years ago

HI- HUGS : I LOVE THE MOVIE but wish they would had made it more like SOZIN'S COMET- THE FINAL EPISODES OF AVATAR AANG SERIES!- I LOVE HOW BOTH AANG AND ASTROBOY CARED ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE AND IN ASTROBOY'S LIFE HOW HE CARE ABOUT BOTH HUMANS AND ROBOTS. THEY made SOZIN'S COMETS almost they way i would had wanted it done- AANG REFUSED to kill even while being controlled by powerful AVATARS from his past! I would had wanted the ASTROBOY movie to be almost exactly like TEZUKA made ASTROBOY! I STILL LOVED the movie AND CRIED WATCHING IT! GUESS I LOVE BEING A ASTROBOY FANGIRL FAN! HUGS AND PRAY EVERYONE ETERNAL SALVATION AND SAFETY AND HAPPINESS ALWAYS

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 12 years ago

when I saw the movie it triggered some of the oldest readable memories in my head, got me started as an astroboy fan so if it weren't for the movie I would never have come here.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”