Astro Boy the movie hate it or love it.

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Astro Boy the movie hate it or love it.

Postby Hikari Tail » 12 years ago

While there is a part of me that likes this movie there are also parts of the movie that makes me dislike it and I feel that the new generation of Astro Boy fans who met atom trough the movie have very wrong perspective on Atom ( not here to judge but just going to by some examples )

I will discuss the points of why I dislike the movie but they changed a lot of big parts which lost the point of Atom it self.
Tenma is not the same Tenma as in any adaption of the manga or movie. His rejection of Atom seems to come out of nowhere he only seems to reject Astroboy because he discovered a part of his son that he never saw before ( at least according to the director ) to me that just wonders..what part? the part where he wants to have fun while studying. Is that really a legit reason to tell you're son to leave? I am just sorry but the motives and actions of Tenma in the movie are just so incredibly weak.

Another point is that Astro boy in the movie is not..Astro but Tobio, Tobio in a body of a robot while Astro Boy did had various parts of Tobio's mermories within him he differed from Tobio. Heck he has the brain of a 60 year old scientist not a brain of a young boy.

The robot discrimination was played of for laughs which bothered me. This is the entire point that drew me so much on Astroboy the civil right and equality was all a wink-wink towards the discrimination on blacks/jews/gays/women and it became a 4 minute joke in the movie.

I am sorry but it just seems very Insulting towards Tezuka's message. So while there are parts of me that loves this movie I feel very conflicted when I think deeper and watch the movie for a third time and see things I rather wish I did not see.

I just wish they would make a movie based of Omega Factor. Now that was story that while differed from it's sourch material it grabbed Tezuka's message and made it gold.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Amaryllis
Kokoro Robot

Postby Amaryllis » 12 years ago

I quite enjoyed the 2009 film. There were points it reminded me more of Futurama than Astro Boy, which did make for a pretty weird experience, and I would've liked to see more of the setting. I don't think it insulted Tezuka's message at all, although the shortness of the film did mean it got watered down a bit. But even the original manga has it flaws and Tezuka's philosophizing falls short at several points, especially in the earlier stories. I don't believe the film gives younger fans the wrong perspective on Astro at all; to me, what Astro Boy is about is a human robot trying to overcome adversity and making the world a better place, and those themes were also present in the film.

If anything, I think the 2009 film and the 2003 anime are the most accessible way to introduce modern audiences to Astro Boy. I'll be the first to admit that several parts of the manga haven't aged well at all, and for me personally, the manga mainly interests me because I want to learn more about the history of Japanese manga in general.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

"Amaryllis" wrote:I quite enjoyed the 2009 film. There were points it reminded me more of Futurama than Astro Boy, which did make for a pretty weird experience, and I would've liked to see more of the setting. I don't think it insulted Tezuka's message at all, although the shortness of the film did mean it got watered down a bit. But even the original manga has it flaws and Tezuka's philosophizing falls short at several points, especially in the earlier stories. I don't believe the film gives younger fans the wrong perspective on Astro at all; to me, what Astro Boy is about is a human robot trying to overcome adversity and making the world a better place, and those themes were also present in the film.

If anything, I think the 2009 film and the 2003 anime are the most accessible way to introduce modern audiences to Astro Boy. I'll be the first to admit that several parts of the manga haven't aged well at all, and for me personally, the manga mainly interests me because I want to learn more about the history of Japanese manga in general.

I respect you're opinion but respectfully disagree, I agree on the 2003 anime but not in the 2009 movie/ Manly because Atom in both manga game and all the anime adaptions has a strong sense of justice defending the equality for everyone ( and robots specially ) while in the movie he seems more interested in having fun with his human friends then listing to his fellow robots plea for help.

I do understand you're point that its a more modern way to introduce Astroboy but the 2009 feels kind of kiddy while the 2003 version can be enoyed by all ages. Take example for my brother. He is not a huge fan of Astro boy but he felt the 2009 was really childish and thought the 2003 anime had more dept while being modern.

You forget that Astro Boy's one of its biggest point was fighting for Robot rights and Astroboy protecting that. It just seems in the movie untill the last act that he wants to fit in with the kids from under and fitting in with the humans rather then explore his fellow robots. After all in various issues Astroboy is shown to be disgusted and horrified when seeing other Robots being abused in the movie it is shown only small bits of this. This I find sadly because I have found 2009-Astro Boy movie fans to complain that the anime Astroboy is too kind too sweet :/

Visit my DA account!

Kirara
Banned

Postby Kirara » 12 years ago

i thought the movie was ok....

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

Well i don't like it that much but i sure don't hate it i have seen it twice by now the first time illigal because it wasn't coming out in theathers in my country for about 6 mhonts or so and then in the cinema wich was kinda awkward but yeha.

And it was kinda made more for children than should have been but they still did some things that movies like that ussally don't do so it's fine but i kinda din't liked that kora character either because the relationship between here and astro boy was kinda that of a tipical pixar movie they where really trying to go for that

But i still like it, i however still have to pick it up on Blu-Ray or DVD so that does say something how long has it been argain ? but Hell Yeha i own Dragonball Evelution twice :lol: and i still have to get the Speed Racer live action movie also.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 12 years ago

Hmm...My likes and dislikes about the movie. Well, I might as well just start with the likes section.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed watching the filler time on earth. Yes, it doesn't tie well into the main plot. But for me personally, Astro's down time on earth was very colorful, and very fun to watch.

I also rather like this film's interpretation of Hamegg; yes, he's no where near as cruel as his previous incarnations. But I almost wonder if that makes him a bit more threatening. I mean he takes in orphaned kids to work for him, he feeds and provides shelter for them, and they help him fix up robots for Mortal Combat tournaments without ever being the wiser. Call me crazy, but even if the twist that he's evil is obvious, I still wonder if it's slightly effective for the character in that regard. Also, I really liked Nathan Lane as Hamegg, that was good casting in my eyes for this version fo the character.

Now for the dislikes section, I have three major complaints with this film.

The first is just how O'Shay's role has been diminished. I don't know if it was due to scripting (or simply not knowing what to do with him), but I don't really get the logic of making him a minor character. Not only is O'Shay a really ncie guy, but he's probably the most proactive character in the series next to Astro. If something's gone wrong, you better believe he'll be there to try and find a solution to the problem. If someone's in trouble, you better believe he'll jump in and protect or defend them, because THAT's how O'Shay roles! Okay, I'm going a little overboard, but you get I mean. O'Shay needs to be a main character; he should have been support for Astro after he ran away. Heck, he needs to be more prominent to show that he's the anti-Tenma.

Speaking of Tenma, let's get to the meat and potatoes regarding him. First off, I don't care for his design in teh movie. That might seem a tad bit nitpicky, but his design just bothers me, it barely even resembles Tezuka's character model. That nitpick aside, let's get to some other things. First off, I don't mind that he's a bit different in this version, since his role is always different depending on which Astro Boy cannon you follow. However, I have to agree with Hikari; if you're gogin to make Tnema a bit more mentally healthy, at least show that he's at least selfish and obsessed with his job, and may likely be consumed by darkness if driven too far. I also don't care for Cage as Tenma; he just feels like he's just phoning in his lines. Though for all I know, it could have been an issue with the script and not him, who's to say.

Actually, now that you mention how illogical his reasoning for disowning Astro is in this Hikari, I almost wonder if that might have been a great way to flesh out this version of Tenma. Let's say that maybe he does disown Astro for being too different from Tobio, as teh film pogresses, he begins to wonder if he even really knew his son like he thought. We could probably get flashbacks showing him being too busy to spend time with his son, and have him realize that he was never really around for other parts of his son's life. In my mind at least, this would be a great way to further explore Tenma's faults as a person, but also show his resolve to change those flaws, which would give more credence to his sudden change in character motivation in the film's third act.

Speaking of Tenma's relation to his "sons", let's get to my other mjaor problem; how Tobio's death is handled. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; vaporizing a child is far more (if not just as) traumatizing than a car accident. Not only that, but I don't think it works for Tenma. Yes, I like that he blames himself for his son's death. But Tenma is already fairly mentally unstable, and the death of his son is always a tragic, heartbreaking experience for him. Wouldn't seeing his son vaporized RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM be enough to send him completely off the deep end?

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. There's a few other things such as the robot right issue and the humor, but I have very mixed feelings on those two aspects of teh film.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:Hmm...My likes and dislikes about the movie. Well, I might as well just start with the likes section.

To be honest, I actually enjoyed watching the filler time on earth. Yes, it doesn't tie well into the main plot. But for me personally, Astro's down time on earth was very colorful, and very fun to watch.

I also rather like this film's interpretation of Hamegg; yes, he's no where near as cruel as his previous incarnations. But I almost wonder if that makes him a bit more threatening. I mean he takes in orphaned kids to work for him, he feeds and provides shelter for them, and they help him fix up robots for Mortal Combat tournaments without ever being the wiser. Call me crazy, but even if the twist that he's evil is obvious, I still wonder if it's slightly effective for the character in that regard. Also, I really liked Nathan Lane as Hamegg, that was good casting in my eyes for this version fo the character.

Now for the dislikes section, I have three major complaints with this film.

The first is just how O'Shay's role has been diminished. I don't know if it was due to scripting (or simply not knowing what to do with him), but I don't really get the logic of making him a minor character. Not only is O'Shay a really ncie guy, but he's probably the most proactive character in the series next to Astro. If something's gone wrong, you better believe he'll be there to try and find a solution to the problem. If someone's in trouble, you better believe he'll jump in and protect or defend them, because THAT's how O'Shay roles! Okay, I'm going a little overboard, but you get I mean. O'Shay needs to be a main character; he should have been support for Astro after he ran away. Heck, he needs to be more prominent to show that he's the anti-Tenma.

Speaking of Tenma, let's get to the meat and potatoes regarding him. First off, I don't care for his design in teh movie. That might seem a tad bit nitpicky, but his design just bothers me, it barely even resembles Tezuka's character model. That nitpick aside, let's get to some other things. First off, I don't mind that he's a bit different in this version, since his role is always different depending on which Astro Boy cannon you follow. However, I have to agree with Hikari; if you're gogin to make Tnema a bit more mentally healthy, at least show that he's at least selfish and obsessed with his job, and may likely be consumed by darkness if driven too far. I also don't care for Cage as Tenma; he just feels like he's just phoning in his lines. Though for all I know, it could have been an issue with the script and not him, who's to say.

Actually, now that you mention how illogical his reasoning for disowning Astro is in this Hikari, I almost wonder if that might have been a great way to flesh out this version of Tenma. Let's say that maybe he does disown Astro for being too different from Tobio, as teh film pogresses, he begins to wonder if he even really knew his son like he thought. We could probably get flashbacks showing him being too busy to spend time with his son, and have him realize that he was never really around for other parts of his son's life. In my mind at least, this would be a great way to further explore Tenma's faults as a person, but also show his resolve to change those flaws, which would give more credence to his sudden change in character motivation in the film's third act.

Speaking of Tenma's relation to his "sons", let's get to my other mjaor problem; how Tobio's death is handled. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; vaporizing a child is far more (if not just as) traumatizing than a car accident. Not only that, but I don't think it works for Tenma. Yes, I like that he blames himself for his son's death. But Tenma is already fairly mentally unstable, and the death of his son is always a tragic, heartbreaking experience for him. Wouldn't seeing his son vaporized RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM be enough to send him completely off the deep end?

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now. There's a few other things such as the robot right issue and the humor, but I have very mixed feelings on those two aspects of teh film.

You make very valid points. They could have made this American movie without Dr Oh Shay his role was so usseless that it was really a shame. I always saw Shay as Astroboy's mentor but also his second father. The man that Tenma never was able to be for Atom.

I was also happy with Hamm Eggs role but again I felt sad that like Tenma instead of making him more fleshed out based on his real Model they again based his model on the voice actors. And all your points on Tenma. yeah pretty much agreed.

Visit my DA account!

__franny__
Kokoro Robot

Postby __franny__ » 12 years ago

I didn't knew Astro before the movie , so after watching it i was felt curiosity about how Astro was orginally ,and i like the original ATOM best xD so i've got obsessed with the mangas and series and all that xD
with the 2009 Astro Boy movie , happend the same thing that with the Ga ' Hoole saga in my opinion , I mean , they just took the basic concept , the name of the characters and build-up a totally new story , creating characters and situations that where not in the original.
I don't know if i hate the movie , i just like it xD i used to love it the first time i saw it (my parents even bought the original to me xD) but after seeing the old anime series and reading the mangas i realized that the movie is ...nothing compared to them. I'm not saying tht the movie is bad. BUUUT i'm saying that the manga and anime are AWWEEEEEESOMEEE *-*

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

"__franny__" wrote:I didn't knew Astro before the movie , so after watching it i was felt curiosity about how Astro was orginally ,and i like the original ATOM best xD so i've got obsessed with the mangas and series and all that xD
with the 2009 Astro Boy movie , happend the same thing that with the Ga ' Hoole saga in my opinion , I mean , they just took the basic concept , the name of the characters and build-up a totally new story , creating characters and situations that where not in the original.
I don't know if i hate the movie , i just like it xD i used to love it the first time i saw it (my parents even bought the original to me xD) but after seeing the old anime series and reading the mangas i realized that the movie is ...nothing compared to them. I'm not saying tht the movie is bad. BUUUT i'm saying that the manga and anime are AWWEEEEEESOMEEE *-*

well this is a good way :) you also read the mangas and other animes which makes me happy cause various Movie-Only fans of Astro boy deem the manga to old and crappy. They do not understand the underlyine themes of Atom .

Visit my DA account!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 12 years ago

"Hikari Tail" wrote:[QUOTE=__franny__;198898]I didn't knew Astro before the movie , so after watching it i was felt curiosity about how Astro was orginally ,and i like the original ATOM best xD so i've got obsessed with the mangas and series and all that xD

well this is a good way :) you also read the mangas and other animes which makes me happy cause various Movie-Only fans of Astro boy deem the manga to old and crappy. They do not understand the underlyine themes of Atom .[/QUOTE]Which is really strange you would even think those kind of people aren't even anime fans than.
Last edited by AprilSeven on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: gentler, kinder adjective :-)

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”