FUTURAMA's apparent homages to MIGHTY ATOM

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

FUTURAMA's apparent homages to MIGHTY ATOM

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

FUTURAMA's apparent homages to MIGHTY ATOM includes as I recall, the 1st episode of season 6 in which robot versions of Fry & Leela were made because they were assumed dead. I do not know if any intentional borrowing occurred, but it is funny to see plot elements, & even entire episodes that just seem too similar to AB eps to be pure chance.

PARASITES LOST is the one most apparently based upon a B&W episode, BACTERIA CORPS (I think that was the E version's name). While FANTASTIC VOYAGE may be better known, it did not have an entire civilization of microscopic creatures in it, as did the AB episode (& two earlier manga stories, 38TH PARALLEL & TUBERCULOSIS), which obviously inspired the B&W ep.

I have been making note of FUTURAMA eps that have such content, but forgot where I put them. :hyo:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 11 years ago

I remember the one with the robot Fry and Leela but I never connected it with Atom. Interesting though

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 11 years ago

there was an ep of sea-quest in the third season that was vary similar to Marine express.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

DemonFoxProductions
Kokoro Robot

Postby DemonFoxProductions » 11 years ago

He, he, he... I'm thinking of writing a Futurama/Astro Boy Fanfiction, Technically based on the anti-Kokoro robot movement. ('Kokoro' means 'heart') And the similarities Blue Night and Bender has (as in, 'Kill all humans!')

All people in Metro City.... Surprised to see a bending robot drinking beer, and belching red-hot flames.

DemonFoxProductions
Kokoro Robot

Postby DemonFoxProductions » 11 years ago

I just read that a toy 'Astro Boy' was one of the prizes of the ring toss in Futurama Comic: 'Rust In Peace'

animegirlalways
Metro City Citizen

Postby animegirlalways » 11 years ago

This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I own seasons 1-7 of Futurama on DVD and never made any connections between the shows. :)

:heart: :astro:
Last edited by animegirlalways on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I would like to see Uran from 1980 series crushing "Gender Bender".

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

"animegirlalways" wrote:This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I own seasons 1-7 of Futurama on DVD and never made any connections between the shows. :)

:heart: :astro:

I think the REBIRTH episode, if not modeled on the Tobio/Atom story, at least seems to be. Fry & Lela robots made because neither Fry nor Lela could live without the other. :p

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”