Character Expansion- Uran/Zoran

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Character Expansion- Uran/Zoran

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

Being a franchise, Astro Boy is often open to re-interpretation. I think that can safely be said by this point. And as a result, new writers can come in and expand upon these characters. They can shed new light on them, maybe even reinterpret them in a way the audience has never considered possible. In the end, it really all depends on whether or not it fits the character.

Now for those of you who recall, I had done a similar thread a few months earlier discussing ways to expand Ochanomizu's character. But what's interesting is that the one that really sparked this question in my head was Zoran.

If I remember correctly, I once saw littleacorn talk about how she wished they would've done more with Zoran, instead of just trying to make her the bratty sister. I while I do like Zoran the way she is, I think there are ways you could expand upon her character. That will be today's topic.

Now I personally think that you could expand on Zoran by perhaps giving her a bit more responsibility than she has to begin with. After all, Astro's always off saving the day, while she gets into her own little adventures. So what do I mean by give her more responsibility? I mean actually put her in a position where she can actually help out in society, and be a bit more like her big brother.

This was something that was done in one episode of the 2003 series and some of the original manga (don't quote me on that though), and I think that by itself could be the basis of a great character arc for Zoran.

I've mentioned it before, but I am slowly but surely working on a film treatment for an Astro Boy film series (in addition to the other 500 projects I've got going on right now). Zoran would not show up until the second film, but both that and the following film would have a small character arc in which she would have to learn about responsibility.

The basic outline I have right now is that Zoran starts off being bratty and irresponsible. As this is going on, the Pluto arc is commencing. Zoran ends up somewhat comforting Astro, but that's only after she meets Pluto, and they get to know each other. As her sweeter nature comes out, she tries to change Pluto, even as he sticks to his programming. It's only after Pluto's death that Zoran decides to take responsibility for the power she has and actually asks Astro to teach her how to fight in the third film.

Unfortunately, Zoran actually doesn't believe she should hold back against humans, much to her brother's dismay. After a few mishaps and learning a bit more about the human world through what eventually becomes the Blue Knight, she realizes her responsibility is to protect humans, not to harm them regardless of the reason.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

How do you think Zoran could be expanded upon?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

Yes, it makes sense that she would get more responsible as she gets older and comes to understand the world better. But I also think she should keep her tendency to seek freedom. In a way, Astro is almost too perfect and Uran (along with other characters) brings something else. Sometimes it can also lead to interesting and different adventures. :)

If she keeps her hot temper but displays it when coming at somebody's rescue, like she often does in the 1980 series, then she's still true to herself and displays a better sense of responsibility as opposed to just getting in trouble.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Actually, you raise a good point. The reason Zoran is so appealing to me is that despite her gentler nature, she's a likeable troublemaker. She pushes Astro's buttons in a way only a little sister would do, and the same applies to the other characters she interacts with. So yeah, I totally get what you're saying.

One way I could see that working is if Zoran does eventually side with her brother in not hurting humans, but still does her own thing on the adventures she goes on with him. In other words, still be a foil to Astro. It is my opinion that the best kind of character development is not a complete personality overhaul, but instead a more simpler, realistic approach where the character learns something, and still remains the same with that lesson intacted to their decisions and actions. And that, is really what Zoran would need. At least in my opinion.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:One way I could see that working is if Zoran does eventually side with her brother in not hurting humans, but still does her own thing on the adventures she goes on with him.

Yes, that would work; her personality can also trigger adventures, such as of the 1980 episode "The Robot Stuntman", for example.

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 11 years ago

random humorous post about the topic.

I wonder how Zoran would feel if she expanded??????? lol
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

As in literally got bigger, or wanted a bigger role like her brother.

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

I was makeing a joke about the title "Character Expansion".

though on the topic of a bigger role, wasn't she all jellos of astro in the 2003 series??????

ooohh I just remembered that there was a manga story where she actually got bigger, rather a lot bigger. lol
Last edited by diehard67 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added something
twitter

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Ah, I thought so.

Yes, there was an episode like that, and it was done very well there (minus those stupid DD girls). I'm merely arguing that that would make a great basis for a character arc for Zoran, provided you give it to the right writer.

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

DD girls?¿
twitter

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of Sailor Moon season one finale when I wrote that.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”