cut scenes from the 1980s astro boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
gamera
Kokoro Robot

cut scenes from the 1980s astro boy?

Postby gamera » 11 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knows what scenes and from what episodes are cut out of the North American Astro boy 1980 box set by Manga video, a very decent boxset I must add! Thanks!

GreenDarthVader
Kokoro Robot

Postby GreenDarthVader » 11 years ago

Well, there are 51 episodes (52 in japan) so just compare to the episode list on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy_%281980_TV_series%29

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

"gamera" wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows what scenes and from what episodes are cut out of the North American Astro boy 1980 box set by Manga video, a very decent boxset I must add! Thanks!

Mostly the scenes from Japanese episodes 1 and 2 involving a young Atlas, which have been merged into a single episode.

I recall perhaps 3 deleted scenes which were on the Australian Madman's boxset and not on Manga Entertainment's (but I can't recall exactly how many nor which ones anymore), and I know of a small one which wasn't on either.

Overall, it would have been the closest possible boxset to the original series if it hadn't been for the cuts in the first two episodes. :d oh:

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Even the DVD box set was butchered? That's lame...
Come to think about, we were paying for junk DVDs who are not worth of our money.
I really wish the brasilian TVs to no longer get american adapted works for their translation.
We even get junk in the DVDs, sigh...
There is a example of DVD which is worthy buying:
Dengeki Sentai Changeman which come with both dub and japanese with subtitles.
Back them, our series were not butchered like the animes which were adapted for USA.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

"GreenDarthVader" wrote:Well, there are 51 episodes (52 in japan) so just compare to the episode list on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy_%281980_TV_series%29

To be precise, the first and second episodes were basically cut in certain parts and combined into one episode for the American release. If I remember correctly, it was mainly scenes involving Atlas that were cut.

It's too bad since, like Astro Forever said, it's the closest a North American box set has gotten to being like the Japanese version.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toshio
Banned

I read the scene which Uran sings with herself was cut-off from episode 30, that's too lame.

gamera
Kokoro Robot

Postby gamera » 11 years ago

They have all the uncut versions up on the tezuka anime you tube ch

Toshio
Banned

"gamera" wrote:They have all the uncut versions up on the tezuka anime you tube ch

Which means the DVDs are pure junk.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:I read the scene which Uran sings with herself was cut-off from episode 30, that's too lame.

It was back in both DVD boxset. I don't remember if it was right in the episode on Manga Entertainment's boxset, but it was in the extras DVD of Madman's.

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 11 years ago

Several scenes were cut even before we dubbed them. If I recall correctly, they mostly had to do with violence, but there was also a live-action scene with Tezuka. I think it was the episode where Astro gets a girl robot's legs. This is 30 years ago, so I could easily be mistaken. I need to collate my scripts with the DVDs.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”