Why you hated the Astro Boy Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

I liked the movie, but Nicolas Cage.... He needs to work on his acting a bit. (My mother likes Nicolas Cage though. XD)
I had no problem with the movie, cause it's what really got me into Tezuka's works more, and Astro boy for that matter.

At least Black Jack didn't make a US movie. It would be ruined. (They already ruined the OVA 90s series by making an English dub with a bad voice cast. They should've never done that, but oh well. :p ) I'm glad Japan got ahold of it. :D (If you haven't seen the Young Black Jack film, then you should. It is absolutely amazing! I wouldn't have picked a better cast! :lol: ) Though, it would be interesting to see a 3D animation movie of Black Jack, but not by americans. (They tend to screw things up a bit in their own way, though I had no problem with the Astro boy 2009 moive, but if it was with Black Jack, then I would probably have over billion problems with it.)

Wow. Did someone here just say the Urasawa is the 'new' Tezuka? That's a lie. There will only be one Osamu Tezuka, and that is Osamu Tezuka himself hon! :tezuka:
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 10 years ago

I won't touch the movie. I'll be happy eternally reviewing my BD rips of the 2003 series and my box set of the 1963 series. I thought everyone here loved that westernized mess--it's reassuring to see people sharing my sentiments about the lack of quality and effort.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

I waited two whole years for this movie to come out. From 8th grade to 10th grade, I followed every single press release, every leaked screenshot or concept art, and went with my brother to the movie on opening night. I even bought those movie adaptation comics.

It wasn't until five months later that I was able to admit that the movie was a profound letdown. My brother and I were huge fans of Astro Boy at the time, and I'm pretty sure that the movie is responsible for making him lose interest in the entire series. Why is Ochanomizu two feet tall? Why did they change Tobio's death so drastically? Why is everything in the movie blue and brown? Why did the movie end on such a jarring moment with a manga reference most casual moviegoers wouldn't get?

Keep in mind that at the time, I still had a huge schoolkid crush on Dr. Tenma from the 2003 anime. I went to the movie, and then this Nicolas Cage Gary Stu monstrosity appears on screen:

If anything at all, I do like how Cora wasn't intended as a love interest. It's really not easy to find movies with female characters who don't serve to only become the love interest.
Last edited by Fauna on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 10 years ago

"tailz" wrote:I liked the movie, but Nicolas Cage.... He needs to work on his acting a bit. (My mother likes Nicolas Cage though. XD)
I had no problem with the movie, cause it's what really got me into Tezuka's works more, and Astro boy for that matter.

At least Black Jack didn't make a US movie. It would be ruined. (They already ruined the OVA 90s series by making an English dub with a bad voice cast. They should've never done that, but oh well. :p ) I'm glad Japan got ahold of it. :D (If you haven't seen the Young Black Jack film, then you should. It is absolutely amazing! I wouldn't have picked a better cast! :lol: ) Though, it would be interesting to see a 3D animation movie of Black Jack, but not by americans. (They tend to screw things up a bit in their own way, though I had no problem with the Astro boy 2009 moive, but if it was with Black Jack, then I would probably have over billion problems with it.)

Wow. Did someone here just say the Urasawa is the 'new' Tezuka? That's a lie. There will only be one Osamu Tezuka, and that is Osamu Tezuka himself hon! :tezuka:

If anyone gets to make a Black Jack movie, we need it to be Japan so Black Jack can be played by Kenichi Matsuyama XD

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

The movie had its good points, and its bad. I wish they had been truer to the original manga characters. They should have dropped some Hyotantsugi into the mix someplace. I was glad to see Mustachio and Tezuka cameos in there. President Stone should have been replaced by Duke Red, or Lamp. Tenma's character was toned down, he's not the mad scientist he is in the manga and especially in the 2003 Anime. I think it works. Dr. Elphun/O'Shay/Ochanomizu was reduced to a minor character, which sorta makes sense if you leave Tenma in charge of the Ministry of science. He actually IS a short character, in the Anime Astro is almost as tall has he is, and Astro's height is somewhere between 4-4.5 feet according to the manga.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

Postby falloutflowers » 9 years ago

I may be a bit late to this thread, but i'm just going to write a comment anyway.

I was still quite young when the film came out, and didn't know anything about Astro Boy. It was my younger brothers idea to go see the movie because it came out right around his 8th birthday. Personally, being the young arrogant girl that I was, made fun of the movie because it was for "boys". However, still being very young, my mother wouldn't allow me to stay home when they went to go see it in theaters. So I had to tag along.

Half way through the movie, I was practically in love with it. (Remember, I hadn't seen anything Astro Boy related before seeing the movie. So who was I to judge?) After that, my mother went ahead and ordered the 80's series on Netflix for me. I absolutely loved it. So then she got me the 2003, and I was basically in love with Astro Boy by then. I'm also currently watching the 60's series right now on youtube.

I'm not a fan of the film as of right now, but I need to keep in mind that was what introduced me to Astro Boy.
I wouldn't say it was complete trash and shouldn't have been made, because without it our fan base wouldn't be as big as it is today.
[FONT="Garamond"]"Humans are lost. Alone, they struggle in the darkness, and hurt themselves in fear. They don't know where they came from, or where they're going."[/FONT]

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

Postby Daiya Mondo » 9 years ago

i'm plenty late too but my story-slash-relationship with the 2009 astro boy movie is probably a bit different than your guys'. back then, i didn't know anything about astro boy... other than he was supposedly very popular and well loved. and that he was a robot, which i only knew from the tv promos on ytv advertising the 2003 series. i remember reading about the movie back when "anime insider" was still around, the writer for that little article lamenting that it was going to be cgi.

i never followed it, i don't even remember seeing trailers for it and to be honest, i had completely forgotten that there was an astro boy movie at all. my dad had bought the dvd, thinking that it would be a good movie for my (then) three year old brother. he fell in love with this movie. he would watch it all day and all night (read: until he had fallen asleep since you know, three year olds), as soon as it would end, he would make us play the thing again. it was like this for several months, maybe three?

he made us call him "toby" for a bit, he was so in love with this movie. i hated this movie, more so because i was always stuck watching it with him. i knew jack all about astro boy at the time and i definitely wasn't planning on changing it any time soon. i can't really say it was the movie that had killed my interest, but it certainly didn't help.

i remember finding the characters very annoying, the character designs fairly unpleasant (here's to you, nicolas cage doctor tenma) and the story very confusing? this was arguably my first introduction to the astro boy mythos, i had no idea that it was more-so a retelling of the origin. i just kind of accepted and assumed that it was 100% canon.

looking at it now after watching the 2003 series (and a bit of the 60s and 80s) and hearing fauna's story about her and her brother's relationship with this movie (both in this thread and in person), i can't help but stare at this and marvel at it. i also notice a lot more things wrong with it, like the drab colors for one and how weird these choices are.

i love nathan lane as hamegg, if that's a positive thing about this movie.

tl;dr: i don't like this movie because my three year old brother was obsessed with it for three months and it was just NON-STOP AROUND THE CLOCK "CALL ME BILL" IT'S ASTRO BOY.
ImageImage!

icon commissioned by birries!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Did anyone notice how Hamegg was played as Fagin from Oliver?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

Hm, interesting observation, Tetsuwan Penguin. I read the novel, but never saw any stage, film or TV version of Oliver Twist. I do not recall the details of the film well enough, but I assume Hamegg had the kids out stealing robots or parts.

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 9 years ago

I couldn't even hate this movie cuz I was just bored by it. The style of the movie wasn't anything innovative, the new characters weren't memorable, and old characters didn't have much personality, the voice-acting overall wasn't very good, and the story itself wasn't very engaging.
I feel like that was a lot meaner than I intended but I'm really not trying to hate on the movie; I felt like it had some potential and if it had been executed better it could have been an okay movie. Based on the trailers I thought I was going to hate it but just ended up feeling eh. One thing I do appreciate about this movie though, was how many people it seemed to have introduced to the series.
I don't think I'll go too much further than that cuz it would pretty much be me talking about elements I thought were bland, etc.

But one last thing- I felt really silly when after reading through this thread that the character I thought was just some pseudo-Hamegg was, in fact, Hamegg. I must be losing my hearing cuz I could have sworn they were calling him "Hammock" :blush:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”