Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

Who is cobalt, I sorry never heard of him or her
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"racoonangel" wrote:Who is cobalt, I sorry never heard of him or her

Cobalt is Atom's brother. He first appeared in the manga story named after him in 1954, and was created as a substitute for Atom when Atom is needed to stop a disaster and is unavailable. So he is sort of a younger brother for Atom. He was originally destroyed in the 1956 manga story, "Midoro Swamp".

When the 1960s anime was created, Cobalt was brought back, this time with the cover story of having been an earlier prototype of Atom. Therefore in the anime, Cobalt is Atom's older brother. He was brought back as a comic relief character for the series.

When Atom was resurrected for the 1980s anime, Cobalt's role was supplanted by Atlas, who was made from the same design as Atom.

As stated in previous posts to this thread you can see Cobalt in two of the covers. (3/66 & 10/66)

For the US produced English dub of 1960s Mighty Atom anime he is named Jetto.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Heh, your answer is much more helpful than anything I could ever come up with... I had planned on answering at some point, but I wasn't feeling well when I first saw the question. ^-^;
lolwut

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Re: MIGHTY ATOM CLUB--the covers

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 6.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 6.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

This is an update:
Originally as I posted the covers from the Mighty Atom Club magazine I used the episode guides available then to try to match the manga story featured in each issue. As there were no listings for the March, April, and May, 1965 issues I presumed that no Mighty Atom manga story appeared in those issues. As I did not have the actual issues I felt safe in the above statement. It wasn't until BrutalDawnFawn who actually owns at least two of the above magazines that we now know that the March and April 1965 issues feature a manga adaptation of the anime episode I call "Earth Defense Squadron" (or the original Astro Boy series episode, "The Moon Monsters.")

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB COVER FEATURING TI-TAN.jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB COVER FEATURING TI-TAN.jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

We have also determined that the Mighty Atom Club issue dated 6/1966 features an adaptation of the anime episode, "The Robot Fortress" also known as "The Mystery of Amless Dam." (That one thanks to BrutalDawnFawn & Jeffbert.")

My theory for why these manga were not listed in any episode guides is that they were adaptations of anime episodes that had already aired and were not original stories being published in the magazine before they were adapted to anime episodes.

Any one having any information as to whether any Atom manga were published in the May, 1965 issue and the July, August, September, October and November 1966 issues and the Oct. & Nov., 1965 issues also are welcome to post info here.--Astrobuddy

P.S. The Feb. 1965 issue featured the last installment of the manga episode, "Jangaru Makyo" aka "Jungle Kingdom", a translation I borrowed from a book celebrating Dr. Tezuka's 40th anniversary.--Catch the Future! -AB
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 3 (2).jpg
MIGHTY ATOM CLUB# 3 (2).jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 2544 times

UPDATE: The May, 1965 issue has the last installment of the "Earth Defense Squadron" manga.--Astrobuddy
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

teugene50
On a Flight into Space

Postby teugene50 » 3 years ago

Ooooh!!! lalala!!

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Postby BrutalDawnFawn » 3 years ago

Ohh! I didn't know we had a thread for this! I should've looked before I made a new one. :oops:

Anyhoo, I found some higher quality cover photos than the tezukainenglish ones. it's from a previous sale, but they kept the cover scans. they even have some of the inside pages posted!
They're not quite in order, but close
https://k.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoJa.html?index=619603

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Great BrutalDawnFawn! I just have one question for you. Is the manga episode in the 6/66 issue complete or does it state to be continued in the next issue?--Astrobuddy

BrutalDawnFawn
Kokoro Robot

Postby BrutalDawnFawn » 3 years ago

ASTROBUDDY wrote:Great BrutalDawnFawn! I just have one question for you. Is the manga episode in the 6/66 issue complete or does it state to be continued in the next issue?--Astrobuddy
yeah sure :)

It says it will continue in the next issue (July), which Robot Fortress does end in that issue.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Thank you, BrutalDawnFawn! At least now we know that even though it was not listed in any episode guide there were Atom manga in those issues of Tetsuwan Atom Club magazine.--Astrobuddy "Go, Go, Go!" "Catch the Future!'

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”