is there ever such a thing as a flawless adaptation?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Solarcat20
Rocket Ball Champion

is there ever such a thing as a flawless adaptation?

Postby Solarcat20 » 8 years ago

I read some "complaints" about different shows from astro to super man, by fans and critics (yeah I have wa tched the nostalgia critic before). But is there ever a flawless adaptation or story for that matter? :unsure:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

I would say no. Everything has its flaws. Especially adaptions. Doubly so when they're made without the creator's input. I mean, even the Japanese version of the 2003 series has flaws and it's one of the best Astro Boy adaptions in my opinion.

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 8 years ago

I'd be happy with accurate translations from Japanese to English, with no cuts footage or soundtracks personally.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

Even with my most loved adaptations there is room to critique and and "wish they had done X differently". Being heavily engrossed in the DC Comic fandom where both live action and animated adaptations occur around various story archs several times a year I see this process constantly, and as a result it has made me more lenient concerning adaptations than a lot of people :lol: Even with some adaptations I have to question what they were thinking cutting X out or changing X plot-specific thing.

Most of the time I can just brush off various adaptations as "It's just an AU to the original" and it helps me sleep at night.

I used to get so upset with differences between versions as a teenager it would really tax me and my sleep would suffer, so I had no choice but to make peace with it instead of gnawing on it like a surly dog with a bone. So for me at least the "Alternative Universe" excuse really helped me.

However I realize not everyone is in agreement with this kind of logic and it bothers them a lot.

As for Astro Boy in specific I am satisfied with the translations and dubs of all three series, is there room for improvement? YES, particularly with the editing. However overall I am satisfied, which if this were a paper being graded that would be about a C.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”