Fixing the 2003 Japanese Dub Subtitles

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Fixing the 2003 Japanese Dub Subtitles

Postby Meeshell » 8 years ago

So a thought has crossed my mind to try and use software to fix the horrid subtitles in episodes 25 - 50 (or...some maybe). Really anyone could do this I think but I am going to test it and see if it works.

The problem with these subtitles is no one proof read them, and they probably used some auto translate software (I dunno for sure) because sentences are broken and words are used incorrectly. The way they translate the names is proof too (Uran is Wulan).

I'll see how it goes. Maybe it won't be possible. Btw I don't speak Japanese but I can make sense of what they are trying to say most of the time. Sometimes though the sentences make NO sense.

Thoughts?

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

It works great I edit the text files that came with the torrent download, my only concern though is how do I get a edited version available to anyone? I don't use torrents at all, this is only time I've used it.

Also this is kind of fun, its like proof reading.... wait thats fun? Oh well.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

Here is episode 50 that I did eons ago. The conclusion was still untouched, however.
I'm on Twitter.

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Hah you know whats funny I just did episode 50 too. Its a great final episode

Waker112
Kokoro Robot

Postby Waker112 » 8 years ago

I would think you could upload the sub files to a site like mega upload or media fire.

On a related note, I'd love to see proof read subtitles to those episodes if you were to make them.
I'd help spread it around too if you would like me too!

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

I've done my favourite episodes, total of like 5 I think? Sure is a possibility. Reading broken english for a hour or so tho... makes my brain fuzzy haha.

Waker112
Kokoro Robot

Postby Waker112 » 8 years ago

I suppose it would lol! I might try my hand in an episode and see what it's like.
I've never been to great at writing assignments when i was in high school, but I've been speaking English my whole life so it shouldn't be to hard to tell when somethings off and how to fix it!

any tips of how you do it?

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

Yeah, I saw the subs for 25-50. I get that they came from a Hong Kong bootleg so the Japanese to Chinese to English translation would come out... funny but I'm surprised who ever ripped those subs didn't think; "gee, maybe I could fix this before putting this up anywhere."
Ah well, gave us this gem;
Attachments
Astro needs sauce.png
Astro needs sauce.png (192.05 KiB) Viewed 5246 times

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 8 years ago

Funny as it is quite clear despite the weird language :p "Sauce" must probably be understood as "juice", which would be "power".
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Even though he clearly says "energy" in that sequence, if memory serves. :D (The pronunciation is off, naturally; but if you're used to the way pronunciations are usually handled in Japanese, at least in regards to English borrow words, it's easy enough to determine what is actually being said. Sometimes more competent subbing in earlier segments helps.)
lolwut

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”