Fixing the 2003 Japanese Dub Subtitles

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Meeshell » 8 years ago

"Waker112" wrote:I suppose it would lol! I might try my hand in an episode and see what it's like.
I've never been to great at writing assignments when i was in high school, but I've been speaking English my whole life so it shouldn't be to hard to tell when somethings off and how to fix it!

any tips of how you do it?

If you torrented the whole series you get the video files and a text file with each video/episode. The text file is the subtitles. Aegisub is a program I downloaded to edit the subtitles. Its a mixture of just going through it and fixing what I can, then watching it to see where the really strange sentences are and try to make sense of it. Sometimes I reference the english dub too if there is no other way, but I can tell that the japanese script is so much sweeter then the english dub.

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

"Dragonrider1227" wrote:Yeah, I saw the subs for 25-50. I get that they came from a Hong Kong bootleg so the Japanese to Chinese to English translation would come out... funny but I'm surprised who ever ripped those subs didn't think; "gee, maybe I could fix this before putting this up anywhere."
Ah well, gave us this gem;

Haha thats pre good. Often it's just crazy broken sentences or even terms, like in some episodes they call Professor Ochanomizu "Tea Waiter", I'm watching it like, wtf is a tea waiter but you can hear them clearly say "Ochanomizu Hakase" hakase is what they say for professor/doctor.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Actually, his name translates to "tea water" I believe. So they aren't even spelling the translations right. :p
lolwut

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

and I'm pretty sure the Japanese was translated to Chinese and then translated to English so certain words would naturally get lost in translations making the end result... awkward XD

Waker112
Kokoro Robot

Postby Waker112 » 8 years ago

Thanks Meeshell!
Would you mind telling me what episodes you've already done?
just so we don't overlap, and can get other ones done

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

"Waker112" wrote:Thanks Meeshell!
Would you mind telling me what episodes you've already done?
just so we don't overlap, and can get other ones done

Well like 49, 50, 31, 29, uhhh 39 I think. I haven't looked into it again since as I don't have a reliable source to upload it to if I did this. But some have mentioned a Megaupload?

I dunno I rarely download. I wish I could just make it as a torrent but wouldn't I need to keep my torrent programs so people could get it. I don't know.

Waker112
Kokoro Robot

Postby Waker112 » 8 years ago

"Meeshell" wrote:
Well like 49, 50, 31, 29, uhhh 39 I think. I haven't looked into it again since as I don't have a reliable source to upload it to if I did this. But some have mentioned a Megaupload?

I dunno I rarely download. I wish I could just make it as a torrent but wouldn't I need to keep my torrent programs so people could get it. I don't know.

unfortunately I don't know to much about uploading stuff either, If I start working on these I will look into it more and let you know too!

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 8 years ago

Atlas: So....you run on apple sauce?

Astro: "Smack" no dufus, you know what that means.

Atlas: Well....it's a funny translation for energy.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Meeshell
Rocket Ball Champion

"dannavy85" wrote:Atlas: So....you run on apple sauce?

Astro: "Smack" no dufus, you know what that means.

Atlas: Well....it's a funny translation for energy.

Hot sauce for sure

Kitty Lue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Kitty Lue » 7 years ago

I sure seem to be bumping a lot of old-ish threads lately... I swear it's not on purpose... :whistling:
But anyway, I've been fixing some of the subtitle files, too, lately (though manually in notepad, since I didn't want to bother finding the other software). I've mostly worked on episode 50 (go figure), but also on 25 and I may have touched on others. If anyone's interested, I can find a way to link the subtitle files here and keep fixing more of them. Also, if anyone else can link proofread subtitle files here, that'd be great! It'd be that much less work overlap.
I can either link them here from my Google drive and fight with it until it actually allows access from here, or do what I did with the subtitle code I made for the trailer of Atom: The Beginning; put it in a spoiler and give instructions on what to do with the copied text to make the subtitle file. So is anyone interested? :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”