Official releases/videos

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Official releases/videos

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

With so many members asking where to watch Astro Boy or buy certain parts of the series, it only makes sense to create a list with links to official home releases of Astro Boy as well as links to official streams. If someone asks where to buy legal copies of the anime or manga, this thread will be a good resource to point them to.

If you can help us out by naming official releases and/or legal streaming video sites for Astro Boy, please do so!

This post will be updated periodically as new releases and streaming video sites for Astro Boy come out.

Please do NOT share links to illegal downloads, torrents, or streaming video of any Astro Boy anime, any Astro Boy manga, any Astro Boy soundtracks or any of the Jetter Mars anime. Also, do NOT ask us for illegal downloads, torrents, or streaming video of any Astro Boy manga, anime, or soundtrack releases. We do NOT condone illegal file sharing and do NOT condone illegal stream sharing on Astro Boy Online Forums.

Streaming video:

1963 Series

1980 Series

• Tubi (51 Episodes, English Version)

Soundtracks:

1980 Series

Astro Boy: Original Soundtrack

• Publisher: Japanimation
  • Release Date: April 7, 2003
  • Basic Description: Contains the entire Japanese soundtrack of the 1980 Astro Boy series. This is an import from Japan.

Availability:
  • Amazon (Song titles are incorrect on the listing, but not on the physical soundtrack itself.)

2003 Series

Astro Boy: Original Soundtrack Score

• Release Date: April 7, 2003
  • Basic Description: Contains the first half of the Japanese soundtrack from the 2003 Astro Boy series. This is an import from Japan.

Availability:

Astro Boy: Original Soundtrack Part 2 (Music from Metro City)

• Release Date: June 1, 2004
  • Basic Description: Contains the second half of the Japanese soundtrack from the 2003 Astro Boy series. This is an import from Japan.

Availability:

2009 Movie

Astro Boy: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

• Publisher: Varèse Sarabande
  • Release Date: October 20, 2009
  • Basic Description: Contains the entire soundtrack from the 2009 3D-animated Astro Boy film.

Availability:
  • Amazon
  • Most streaming music providers, online retailers, and consumer electronic stores

Manga:

Original Manga

Omnibus Volumes

• Publisher: Dark Horse
  • Release Date: 2015-2017
  • Basic Description: A re-release of the original Dark Horse manga, but with a few more chapters included in each volume. There are 7 volumes in total. Volumes were released trimonthly.

Availability:

Original Dark Horse Volumes

• Publisher: Dark Horse
  • Release Date: 2002-2004, 2008
  • Basic Description: The original English release of the manga translated by Frederik L. Schodt. 23 volumes were released in 2002-2004. In 2008, Dark Horse released a 2-in-1 manga with the first two volumes.

Availability:
  • Amazon (All 23 volumes, including the 2-in-1 release)

Anime:

1963 Series

Rightstuf Sets

• Distributor: Nozomi Entertainment/Lucky Penny Entertainment
  • Release Date: 2006, 2009
  • Basic Description: Covers the entirety of the English dub for the 1963 Astro Boy series. The 'Ultra Limited Edition' DVD Box Sets contain 52 episodes each and a plethora of extras, including deleted scenes from the Japanese version of the show (along with commentary on why those scenes were deleted), two episodes with Japanese audio and English subtitles, an interview with Fred Ladd on the show getting localized in America, an original character art gallery, merchandise image gallery, and a vintage black-and-white behind the scenes featurette of Mushi Production.

Set 1 includes the Japanese version of Episode 1 and 20 with English subtitles, and Set 2 includes the Japanese version of Episode 56 (Earth Defense Army) and Episode 193 with English subtitles, along with Episode 34 (Midoro Marsh) being presented with Japanese commentary from the original animators along with English subtitles.

The 'Mini Collection' sets contain 25 episodes each and have a couple extras including an interview with Fred Ladd and a few commentaries.
Availability:

1980 Series

DVD Collection Box Set

• Distributor: Manga Video
  • Release Date: November 22, 2005
  • Basic Description: Includes the 51 English episodes as well as 51 episodes with the Japanese language track and Japanese audio track (the original Japanese Episode 1 and 2 are combined into one episode. The full Japanese versions of Episode 1 and 2 can be purchased from the Madman Deluxe Collection set listed below). Also includes English subtitles, textless opening and closing sequences with lyric subtitles and the original Japanese songs, Japanese vs. English episode comparisons, and deleted scenes, among other extras.

Availability:

Region 2 DVD Box Set 1

• Distributor: Geneon Universal
  • Release Date: October 25, 2001
  • Basic Description: Includes the first 26 episodes of the 1980 Astro Boy series on 5 discs. This set only has Japanese audio and Japanese subtitles. Full-screen presentation.

Availability:

Region 2 DVD Box Set 2

• Distributor: Geneon Universal
  • Release Date: October 23, 2009
  • Basic Description: Includes the latter 26 episodes of the 1980 Astro Boy series on 5 discs. This set only has Japanese audio and Japanese subtitles. Full-screen presentation.

Availability:

Region A/1 Blu-ray Box Set 1

• Distributor: キングレコード (King Records)
  • Release Date: December 11, 2013
  • Basic Description: Includes the first 26 episodes of the 1980 Astro Boy series on 4 discs. This set has Japanese audio along with the English dub from Episode 3 to Episode 26. No subtitles included. Full-screen presentation. Includes a full-color booklet.

Availability:

Region A/1 Blu-ray Box Set 2

• Distributor: キングレコード (King Records)
  • Release Date: March 12, 2014
  • Basic Description: Includes the latter 26 episodes of the 1980 Astro Boy series on 4 discs. Also includes a bonus DVD disc with textless opening and ending credit sequences. This set has Japanese and English audio. No subtitles included. Full-screen presentation.

Availability:

[Image currently unavailable]

Region 4 Astro Boy Deluxe Collection Set

• Distributor: Madman
  • Release Date: November 10, 2004
  • Basic Description: Includes 11 DVDs with all 51 episodes of the English version, the Japanese version of Episode 1 and 2, the Japanese version of Episode 1 from the 1963 series, an exclusive booklet, original art gallery, character profiles, a history of Astro Boy, and an Osamu Tezuka biography.

Availability:
  • Possibly discontinued. Best option right now is through auction sites.

2003 Series

[Images currently unavailable]

Region 3 Korean DVD Boxsets

• Publisher: Columbia Tristar (Korea)
  • Release Date: April 28, 2004 (Season 1), December 20, 2004 (Season 2)
  • Basic Description: Along with the Taiwanese release, this is the only known home release of the 2003 series that contains English subtitles on it. Only the first 24 episodes were released. Every volume is presented in anamorphic widescreen and contains Japanese and Korean audio tracks, with English, Japanese, and Korean subtitles.

Availability:

[Image currently unavailable]

Region 3 Taiwan Release

• Publisher: Catalyst Logic
  • Release Date: August 2, 2004
  • Basic Description: Along with the Korean release, this is the only known home release of the 2003 series that contains English subtitles on it. Contains only the first 12 episodes. Presented in anamorphic widescreen and contains Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Thai audio tracks, with English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, and Thai subtitles.

Availability:

Little Astro Boy (2014 Series)

Region 2 DVD Set

• Distributor: Happinet
  • Release Date: November 3, 2015
  • Basic Description: Contains all 8 episodes of the original Little Astro Boy series. English and Japanese audio tracks with only Japanese subtitles.

Availability:

Movies:

2009 Movie

2010 Release

• Distributor: Summit Entertainment
  • Release Date: September 12, 2010
  • Basic Description: Contains the 2009 3D-animated full-length feature film. English audio and English subtitles. Multi-format, widescreen.

Availability:
  • Amazon
  • Most streaming movie providers, online retailers, and consumer electronic stores

Spinoffs:

Manga

Atom Cat

• Publisher: Digital Manga Publishing
  • Release Date: June 25, 2013
  • Basic Description: Written by Osamu Tezuka from July 1986 to February 1987, Atom Cat is a spinoff of the Astro Boy manga featuring a young manga fan named Tsugio who likes to read Astro Boy. Tsugio finds a kitten in a box and names it "Atom"; the kitten eventually gains superpowers and becomes Atom Cat.

Availability:

Marine Express manga

• Publisher: Home-sha (physical releases), Shueisha (digital releases)
  • Release Date: 2016-2018
  • Basic Description: Manga adaptation of the 1979 Tezuka special, Marine Express. Authored and drawn by Shigeto Ikehara. ALL RELEASES ARE IN JAPANESE.

Availability:

Digital releases:

Physical releases:

Atom: The Beginning

Manga

• Publisher: Shogakukan Creative
  • Release Date: 2015-Present
  • Basic Description: Volume releases of Atom: The Beginning, the prequel manga to Astro Boy written by Tetsuro Kasahara, drawn by Masami Yuuki, and edited by Makoto Tezuka, the son of Osamu Tezuka. Contains five chapters in each volume.

Availability:

Anime

• Label/Distributor: NBC Universal Entertainment Japan
  • Release Date: August 23, 2017 (Box 1), October 4, 2017 (Box 2)
  • Basic Description: Contains the Atom: The Beginning anime in Blu-ray format. Box 1 contains Episodes 1-6, while Box 2 contains Episodes 7-12. Special features include a unique storage box for the Blu-ray case drawn by Tetsuro Kasahara with the inner jacket drawn by Takahiro Yoshimatsu (character design and key animator for the ATB anime, as well as the chief animation director for Episode 12 for the ATB anime), a drama CD, textless opening and ending sequences, a special 100 page booklet, and the original soundtrack for the series. These Blu-rays are region free. There are no English subtitles on either release.

Availability:

Jetter Mars

Region 2 DVD Set

• Label/Distributor: Avex Marketing
  • Release Date: March 27, 2009
  • Basic Description: Contains all 27 episodes of Jetter Mars. 4:3 fullscreen presentation with no subtitles.

Availability:

• Product is out of print. Auction sites are your only option.

Osamu Tezuka Sakuhinshu Jetter Mars Original Soundtrack

• Label/Distributor: Columbia Pictures
  • Release Date: June 24, 2009
  • Basic Description: Contains most of the soundtrack for Jetter Mars; some instrumental tracks are unfortunately not included. Soundtrack is incorrectly listed as a video game soundtrack; it's actually the soundtrack from the Jetter Mars anime.

Availability:
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 85 times in total.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

I have a question about the 80's Astro Boy series DVD: On what disc are uncut episodes 1 and 2 on?

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

It seems that the 1980 series is now out of print and only used copies are available with new NOS ones showing up rarely ($600 for one available on amazon!). If you want the 1980 series DVD's, I'd advise looking on Ebay. I was able to get a used copy in like new condition for around $25 with shipping. You might have to wait for a bargain to show up, but it happens.

Paying for Hulu's subscription to watch the 2003 series ELV isn't worth the money when you can buy the entire DVD collection for under $20. There are so many of them for sale on ebay and elsewhere, both used and new that it isn't funny.

The Right Stuf collections of the 1963 series is still in print, getting the full set (two boxes) will set you back just under $200 brand new. Used ones show up on Amazon and ebay from time to time, if you can get them for under $70 each in good shape consider it.

Right Stuf is also selling the Kimba boxed set for under $53, and Princess Knight (two boxes) for about $30 each set.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

I have the set, but I can't seem to find some of the extras.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

In the 1980s ELV DVD set the full first uncut 2 episodes with Atlas in them are not available. They are not included in the set and to see them you must hunt them down elsewhere. :(

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

So, the Amazon description lied...

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

I wouldn't say it LIED but rather it is slightly misleading. The ELV sort of combined episodes 1 and 2 together and cut out a lot of Atlas scenes (why I am not entirely sure).

It does have deleted scenes, but not ALL scenes that they decided to cut out. So they aren't lying entirely. It is pretty annoying though.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

^
Lied probably wasn't the best term, I apologize. At the time of the post, I was miffed that I had spent $30 on the set and it didn't come with what it said it would.

Amazon wrote: Special Features
51 Half Hour Episodes in English
Two Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
Alternative Angle Opening Storyboard Sequence
Original Character Art Gallery
Textless Opening & Closing Sequences featuring Song Subtitles & Original Japanese Songs
Orignal Manga Cover Artwork Gallery
Merchandise Gallery
Japanese vs. English Episode Comparisons (Deleted Scenes) featuring Exclusive Footage from the Original Japanese Episodes with English Subtitles
Character Profiles
Exclusive 24 Page Booklet

So far (I haven't examined the DVD thoroughly, so I could be wrong ), I haven't found JPN episodes 1 and 2, JPN vs English comparison, or the Merchandise Gallery. Now, this may be a case of false advertising, but there also maybe some offers that feature the DVD set that contains those features.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

I did say in that other thread that the first two complete episodes with subs are on the Australian set. That description seems to be partly for the 1960's anime.
I'm on Twitter.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

^
You did mention that, and perhaps I should have listened. However, I did end up finding the first two episodes by other means (though I would like them in better quality, so I may end up buying the Australian set relatively soon).

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”