Pluto Anime Announced for 2020

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Re: Pluto Anime Announced for 2020

Postby Shiyonasan » 6 years ago

jeffbert wrote:Still, condensing all that into 6 hours. Even less, when it is dubbed into English, more commercials will be wanted! I hope CR carried the subbed version!

I think your math is a little off; if the episodes for this were going to be the standard 23 minute length that TV anime run, then it would be 4 hours, not 8.

However, there's two things to consider:

1. The episodes for this are going to be "long", meaning that they'll run longer then the standard 23 minutes.

2. Since the episodes are long, this series may not be a TV series, but rather an OVA. Keep in mind that the article does not explicitly say whether this is going to be a TV series or not. If they want to have long episodes to cover all the material from each volume, an OVA would be perfect for this type of anime.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 6 years ago

I honestly don't think length will be an issue. Hour long episodes of shows are becoming a common thing (in the US at least). Sherlock even had hour and a half episodes if I remember correctly...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 6 years ago

I thought they were 1 hour time slots, thus, the 40 minute/episode assumption. about 5.4 hours give or take a few minutes.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 6 years ago

What are some other long format anime? The only one I can think of right now is Ghost in the Shell Arise but I think they were technically movies.

SuwaHana
Metro City Citizen

Postby SuwaHana » 6 years ago

Hour long timeslots for shows have been common in asia for at LEAST two decades as far as I know. Look at the Chinese show, Princess Returned Pearl, from 1998-1999, and the Korean show Jewel in the Palace from 2003. Both shows run for 40+ minutes. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was how they decided to do Pluto, although I suspect that 40 minute runtimes are generally reserved for more serious or live-action shows. Maybe it's unorthodox for an anime to be treated the same way, but I can't say for sure. Either way, this information is interesting.

Takao
Kokoro Robot

Postby Takao » 6 years ago

It's not rare in Japan to have movie series. This could easily be an 8-part theatrical event, like Digimon Adventure Tri.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”