documentary
Elvis: That's The Way It Is (1970)

1:45 AM
documentary
Divine Madness (1980)

3:30 AM
documentary
ABBA: The Movie (1977)

This schedule does not match the one one my DVR!?

In part it reads:

The T.A.M.I. Show
Recording 9/4 8:00 - 10:15p
Let the Good Times Roll
Recording 9/4 10:14p - 12:03a
Saturday, September 5
ABBA: The Movie
Recording 9/5 3:30 - 5:30a

Elvis is in there somewhere, but I am not interested.

The TAMI Show is new to me, and its wiki page lists groups also new to me. I am a fan of Oldies, and have been for years, but never heard of that group.

I had an audio cassette of Let the Good Times Roll long ago. It is much better with video. Some of the performers talked about the discriminatory treatment they got back in the day. Bo Diddley fries his own chicken while detailing such things. L. Richard tears his shirt into shreds and gives the to screaming fans.

EDIT: More of the same in the next few days, including one about Otis Redding. I know of only that one song of his.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Re: ROCK & ROLL documentaries on TCM Fri 09/04 - Sat morn 09/05

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 3 years ago

Yes I too found this interesting. Growing up as a child of the sixties. I knew most of the groups in the T.A.M.I. Show. I thought it unfortunate that not enough time was given to Chuck Berry, as none of those acts would be, if it wasn't for his influence. (Especially since the Beach Boys, "Surfing U.S.A." was taken from Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen"!) ( I already have a copy of "Elvis:That's the Way It Is" as I'm a big Elvis fan.)

Otis Redding was one of the kings of soul. A few of his songs show up in different movies. For example, his "These Arms of Mine" shows up in "Dirty Dancing". His version of the Bing Crosby's "Try a Little Tenderness" appears in "Pretty In Pink" in the scene where Jon Cryer lip synches to the song. He also originated and wrote the song, "Respect"! Before Aretha sang it and it became an anthem for women, it was about a man wanting a little respect from his woman when he comes home from work. So I hope you caught it.--Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

Yes I did. I guess the one most frequently played, in fact, the only Otis R. song I knew about until watching that very short film, was made later. I think I heard that it was published posthumously.

Did you watch any of the others? I still have some left not yet watched. Jimi at where ever among them.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

I watched some of them as I did not record them.,But I did watch "The Divine Miss M" a concert film about Bette Midler which I had not seen before and found itvery interesting. She was some performer and one can see how she influenced later female stars like: Madonna and Lady Gaga,etc.

Of course if you have never seen: "Monterey Pop" or "Woodstock" you might find them interesting depending on your taste in music.-Astrobuddy

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 3 years ago

Damn! I somehow must have deleted JIMI AT MONTEREY!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

You might be able to catch it thru your subscriber provided free On-Demand!--Astrobuddy

Return to “General Discussion”