How do you create pictures from DVDS?

Off topic discussion.
wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby wildpegasus » 18 years ago

So I see a lot of people here can take pics from the Astoboy show and put them on the computer so I was hoping someone could answer my question here. How do you take still pictures from say a DVD or take a picture from a DVD movie and put it online?

Remember I know absolutely nothing so respond as if I know absolutely nothing.

Thanks

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

I use the software Power DVD to watch my DVDs on my computer. There is a "Capture image" function (the icon is a little camera). I click on it, then I just paste the image in a picture software. It doesn't matter which one, even MS Paint (which comes with windows) will do it.

You might have to resize the picture though. When I watch a DVD, the image is 4:3 on my screen (as it should be), but when I paste it, it's wider than it should be. I suppose that it is encoded this way, and that the DVD software or player makes the correction, so you might have to adjust the width and height of the image.

There is one more thing you should know. There is an overlay feature in computers that might prevent this function from working if it's on by default in yours. Even if you just use the printscreen function of your keyboard to capture the image (which I used when I was watching little videos in Windows Media Player, for example), it won't work. DrFrag explained me how it worked and told me how to solve this problem in the second post of this page.

Hope this helps. :)

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

I'm still trying to figure out how to get everything working as of now. What I have on my computer when I bought it was Cyberlink Producer Gold, something called ARcade which plays my DVDs and NTI CD and DVD Burner 7. THough I know this computer doesn't have a DVD burner but it does have a CD burner. I tried getting the free trial of NTI CD going but I know I screwed that one up bad.

I'll be back with more questions some day or others. Thanks for the response.

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

I'm using a random program I found called Printscreen 3.1 and I managed to make a screen capture. The problem is when I click on its properties like I usually do when I want to transfer a picture to photobucket the description isn't descriptive enough? and it doesn't transfer. It's the same deal I believe with the sample pictures Windows gives you with you buy a computer. I don't know how to transfer them. Help!

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

Never mind. I think I figured it out.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by wildpegasus@Nov 30 2005, 10:23 PM
I'm using a random program I found called Printscreen 3.1 and I managed to make a screen capture. The problem is when I click on its properties like I usually do when I want to transfer a picture to photobucket the description isn't descriptive enough? and it doesn't transfer. It's the same deal I believe with the sample pictures Windows gives you with you buy a computer. I don't know how to transfer them. Help!

Do you mean this program? I googled it just so I would know what you were doing. :) So I assume the program creates the file?

I don't understand why you have to click on a picture's properties to transfer the picture. :huh: To me the picture properties are when you right-click on it when you are in your Windows Explorer and select "Properties". Is that what you mean? And where do you get the message saying the description isn't descriptive enough? From Photobucket or the software?

Since I know that you have Windows, I'll give you another method that I'm sure will work no matter which software you have.

1) Pause the DVD to get the image you want;
2) Hit the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard;
3) Open "MS Paint" (Start -> Programs > Accessories -> Paint);
4) In Paint, go to Edit -> Paste; now you should see your screen in Paint.
5) Click on the "Select" tool (it's a dotted rectangle);
6) Use it to select the part you need in the screen: click on the corner of the area you want to keep and let go the mouse button in the opposite corner of the selection.
7) In Paint, go to Edit -> Copy;
8) Click on File -> New; Paint will ask you if you want to keep the screen as it was, you may choose to do so if you are afraid of messing up, but if you do so, just go back to the window running the DVD and hit "Print Screen" again. ;)
9) Click on Edit -> Paste in Paint.
10) Click on File -> Save, give it a name and save it in your computer.

If you could find the "Print Screen" option in your computer, you would just have to do steps 3 and 4 since the image will already be only what was on the DVD and not the whole computer screen (unless you were in full screen mode). In that case though, you might want to resize the picture, if only to get the right proportions, but Paint doesn't allow it. But I suggest leaving that for a future message, let's just try to get an image file first! :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by wildpegasus@Nov 30 2005, 11:07 PM
Never mind. I think I figured it out.

Ooops, I was still typing my message. So, what was it? :)

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

It was the same problem you were having previously where you had to readjust your computer settings.

I'm not out of the woods yet though. The DVD I have with my video footage on it won't play on my computer drive. It'll play some recorded DVDs but it won't play the one I just made

I just can't seem to win!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Originally posted by wildpegasus@Dec 1 2005, 12:03 AM
I'm not out of the woods yet though. The DVD I have with my video footage on it won't play on my computer drive. It'll play some recorded DVDs but it won't play the one I just made

I just can't seem to win!

Then it must be because of the format of the DVD, or the format of the file on it. :huh:

Well, at least you are a step closer! :)

wildpegasus
Rocket Ball Champion

A step closer. I'm fooling around with the pictures right now. I tried some trial software and it worked but for only 30 minutes. I'll figure it out. THanks for the help. The world needs more people like you.

Return to “General Discussion”