My Tezuka Art

Off topic discussion.
mr skunk
Robot President

My Tezuka Art

Postby mr skunk » 18 years ago

I didn't want to post this with my Astro Boy art, on the account of it's other Tezuka works. This first picture is from the film "Metropolis" and involves spoilers for the end of the movie. If you haven't seen the end of the movie and don't want to be spoiled, I suggest not looking at the pic...... but I really would like it if you did..... :heart:

This picture was drawn in July of 2005. I had always been meaning to do a piece portraying Rock's agony. This is a mixed meadia, so I used many different mediums, including marker, prisma color, and crayon.
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Arrghhh! Metropolis is difficult for me. The manga is merely OK, and the film...ugh...just the idea of having the guy who animated akira do a tezuka film seems completely twisted to me. Not sure the film or manga have much of anything to do with each other. Weird!

This and your other illustrations are nice though! Tried to think of what scenes by Tezuka I really find moving, but strangely drawing a blank. I always find myself coming back to Leo, but that's just me...

Edit: I think from Leo what I am most moved by isn't even fully developed in the manga, but in Kimba (though the English does not lend the scene much power), namely in the episode 'such sweet sorrow' as Tonga comes to destroy the animals (and the culture that Kimba has created). Unlike in the manga (where the scene comes and goes far too quickly), in Kimba, the animals recognize that this is THE END and there is nothing they can do to save their lives so they sing--sing to celebrate their all too brief culture and theif friendships. I wish the whole thing was better executed because it is altogether heart-wrenching. One of the few points where Kimba escapes from the fluff factor that all too often makes the series feel too watered down.
Last edited by O2Destroyer on Sat May 20, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 18 years ago

Well it's the fact that American adults just don't get or understand the complex storytelling Tezuka left behind for other animators to follow. Look at Naruto, I've not seen such a complex anime storyline so detailed and so full of moral emotional subjects such as friendships, concern for the lost lives of friends. The anime has great hooking power, when we started showing it on the ship television network when our carrier was in the Persian Gulf last year we had over 400 sailors show up to watch the first Naruto movie in subtitle.

How many of us here will admit that we learned things from Kimba and Astro that we still remember as adults? This is why Tezuka is still loved as the Father Storyteller but unfortunatly when his works get into the hands of Westerners, they totally batch it up.

mr skunk
Robot President

dannavy85 wrote:How many of us here will admit that we learned things from Kimba and Astro that we still remember as adults? This is why Tezuka is still loved as the Father Storyteller but unfortunatly when his works get into the hands of Westerners, they totally batch it up.

It's a pity. Another reason why a lot of his works are not realeased in the U.S.

mr skunk
Robot President

Time for more art! :D

This was drawn a little more than a year ago. My friend in Washington state wrote a fanfiction on the movie Metropolis. Well, she entered in a contest at her school and it won first prize and got sent to a company! :w00t: Anyway, in order for them to accept the story, it had to have cover art. She asked me to do it.

The fanfiction is called "Never Quite the Same" and it's absolutely incrediable. I suggest reading it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2443404/1/

She puts so much detail, and dialouge only where it's needed. It is so beautifuly written and carries a sense of maturity a girl of her age should not yet have. Absolutely amazing.

Oh, and she dedicates it to a girl named Rocku. Who is me. :cool:

mr skunk
Robot President

I forgot to mention how grossly out of proportion the streets are.... :sick:

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 18 years ago

:cool: :cool:
That's supurb!!
I very much like the coloration of the clothes. :)
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 17 years ago

Woo Wee! I completely forgot this thread was here. This was the practice drawing for today, and, surprise surprise, it's Black Jack! I usually don't draw him, so I thought I was well over do for a nice sketch.

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

Mr Skunk, I wish you worked for me in my unofficial studio(which someday will be a real studio, I hope.)

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

man, i can't get over on how good you are mr skunk;w00t: theres no words.

Return to “General Discussion”