The Amazing Video Game Music thread!

Off topic discussion.
Kimba
Rocket Ball Champion

The Amazing Video Game Music thread!

Postby Kimba » 18 years ago

Since Mr. Skunk is covering music on a global scale and Latu is covering Anime music, I'd figure I would cover the only type of music left: video game music (ok, there's also TV themes outside of Japan, but we've heard those countless times).

So, again, one song a day. Also, along with the song, I'll cover what the game in general is about. Also, most of these will be obscure music (such as music from Ristar).

I'll start off with two, since I'm like that.

Title: "I Just Smile"
Artist: Pamela Driggs
Album: Burning Rangers Soundtrack

As a game released at the end of the Sega Saturn's life span, it wasn't well known. It was meant to be Sega and Sonic Team's final farewell to the system, and the start of an entire year of hibernation for the company. The plot revolved around saving people from fires across the galaxy. The title never got a sequel, but it later had references in the Dreamcast game Phantasy Star Online. If you look carefully in the game, you can rescue people who worked on the game AND the two kids from the hit Saturn game Nights into Dreams!

Download "I Just Smile"
http://rapidshare.de/files/24748737/25_i_just_smile.mp3.html

Title: "This is My Happiness"
Artist: Takenobu Mitsuyoshi
Album: Space Channel 5 Part 2 Soundtrack Vol. Chuuu!!

Space Channel 5 was a title released in Japan for the Dreamcast in 1999. It took place in the year 2500 and starred a 22-year-old girl named Ulala who's been a reporter for Space Channel 5 nearly all her life. She discovers aliens (who are actually being hypnotized) are forcing people to dance, and must stop it. The game is basically a game like PaRappa the Rapper, except the directions to move are called out instead of arrows. This particular song was sung at the end of the sequel "Space Channel 5: Part 2" by the president of the galaxy "Peace". In the sequel, robots (and the main character on the left in the picture) are being controlled by an evil mastermind to force people to dance and kidnap them to put them all in an arena. The sequel was on the Dreamcast and PS2 in Japan, and as part of a Special Edition (paired up with the first game) on the PS2 in America. This game series also has a port of the first game on the GBA. Ulala has also appeared/been referred to in "Sega Superstars", "Feel the Magic XY/XX", and "Sonic Riders". An alien from the series also appeared in the Sega game "Rez" as a playable character. One possible reason this series hasn't gotten anymore actual games may be due to the fact that Sega was sued by Lady Miss Keir (Keir Kirby) in early 2003 for using her likeness and catchphrase.

And your eyes don't decieve you, that IS Michael Jackson. He appeared in both games and did both the Japanese and American voices for his character "Space Michael". :lol: (actually, the picture is from the first game, but it doesn't really matter)

Download "This is My Happiness"
http://rapidshare.de/files/24754318/27_-_extra_-_this_is_my_happiness.mp3.html

If you notice, I put less things about Burning Rangers than Space Channel 5. The reason is because I've never even played Burning Rangers. :lol:

So, what are your thoughts on these songs?
Last edited by Kimba on Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punch-Out: Astro Style!

Starring: Astro as Little Mac, Dr. Elefun as the Referee, and Daddy Walrus as the Fat guy Who Makes You Wear a Pink Jogging Suit!

Kimba wrote:Wow, this thread fell faster than Astro flying really high with low energy.

Kimba
Rocket Ball Champion

Any comments at all?

Starring: Astro as Little Mac, Dr. Elefun as the Referee, and Daddy Walrus as the Fat guy Who Makes You Wear a Pink Jogging Suit!

Kimba wrote:Wow, this thread fell faster than Astro flying really high with low energy.

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 18 years ago

I was thinking of making a thread about video games..... :p
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

crazyd2000
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby crazyd2000 » 18 years ago

for remixes like this go 2 http://www.OCREmix.org
(I am not affiliated with this site and are not advertising)

Kimba
Rocket Ball Champion

crazyd2000 wrote:for remixes like this go 2 http://www.OCREmix.org
(I am not affiliated with this site and are not advertising)

What remixes?!? These are the ORIGINAL songs!!!

I'll post the OFFICIAL remixes of these songs later tonight, though.

mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 18 years ago

Oh Boy! I inspire people! :w00t:

I think this is a nice idea. I admire the fact that you put so much detail in the descriptions of the game. You obviously know a great deal about them. Just wait till Lynny sees this.... video game music is her favorite! :)

Oh yes, get used to not getting comments, or at least not that quickly. But I understand the feeling. IT'S AGRAVATING WHEN PEOPLE DON'T TRY NEW MUSIC AND DOWNLOAD WITHOUT COMMENTING. (looks around) :p Lol, you know I love you guys. Okay! Onto the songs....

I'll start out by saying I dislike video games. :unsure: They make me nervous when I play them, lol. One thing I've notice, though, is the incredible music they seem to have. You picked some wonderful choices, Kimba.

I personally enjoyed "this is my happiness" more than "i smile." The latter was obviously better quality, but you know me, I'm kinda a wacky person... :cool: I went for "this is my happiness" because of how feel good it was. It made me smile. However, I enjoyed the jazz qualities of "I smile".

Overall, great songs to start off your rotation. May I suggest something from Zelda or Fatal Frame? oh boy oh boy oh boy......
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

Kimba
Rocket Ball Champion

mr skunk wrote:Oh Boy! I inspire people! :w00t:

I think this is a nice idea. I admire the fact that you put so much detail in the descriptions of the game. You obviously know a great deal about them. Just wait till Lynny sees this.... video game music is her favorite! :)

Oh yes, get used to not getting comments, or at least not that quickly. But I understand the feeling. IT'S AGRAVATING WHEN PEOPLE DON'T TRY NEW MUSIC AND DOWNLOAD WITHOUT COMMENTING. (looks around) :p Lol, you know I love you guys. Okay! Onto the songs....

I'll start out by saying I dislike video games. :unsure: They make me nervous when I play them, lol. One thing I've notice, though, is the incredible music they seem to have. You picked some wonderful choices, Kimba.

I personally enjoyed "this is my happiness" more than "i smile." The latter was obviously better quality, but you know me, I'm kinda a wacky person... :cool: I went for "this is my happiness" because of how feel good it was. It made me smile. However, I enjoyed the jazz qualities of "I smile".

Overall, great songs to start off your rotation. May I suggest something from Zelda or Fatal Frame? oh boy oh boy oh boy......

I'm glad you like the music! :) I like "This Is My Happiness" better as well. Though, I sorta like the remix that was done around the same time more. :p (Yeah, I'll post the remix in a little while)

And, yep! I'll eventually get to Zelda and Fatal Frame! Probably for Tuesday and Wednesday (I have the wackiest of all video game music planned for tomorrow).

Latu
On a Flight into Space

View this video if you have spare time. I think it's pretty good. :)
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 Opening Theme Song
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!

Kimba
Rocket Ball Champion

Latu wrote:View this video if you have spare time. I think it's pretty good. :)
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 Opening Theme Song

Seen it before. Still pretty good, though. :)

Latu
On a Flight into Space

I'm watching the DBZ Cooler's Revenge movie at the moment. Tomorrow I'll watch the sequel, Cooler Returns. :D
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!

Return to “General Discussion”