Write a novel this November

Off topic discussion.
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Write a novel this November

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

Signups have opened for the National Novel Writing Month 2006 (http://www.nanowrimo.org), so if you've ever thought about writing a novel this is the time to do it. They're expecting 75,000 people from around the world this year.

The idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in exactly one month, so it's pretty intense but a lot of fun because you can write what you want. Fanfics are allowed. ;) This will be my fourth year.

If you succeed, it will forever change the way you look at writing. Especially essays, because nothing is scarey once you've done 50,000 words. :D

1magus
Robot President

Postby 1magus » 17 years ago

DrFrag wrote:Signups have opened for the National Novel Writing Month 2006 (http://www.nanowrimo.org), so if you've ever thought about writing a novel this is the time to do it. They're expecting 75,000 people from around the world this year.

The idea is to write a 50,000 word novel in exactly one month, so it's pretty intense but a lot of fun because you can write what you want. Fanfics are allowed. ;) This will be my fourth year.

If you succeed, it will forever change the way you look at writing. Especially essays, because nothing is scarey once you've done 50,000 words. :D

Sounds need I have a story that is 11,000 words but probably not wanted because of it's subject. Always wanted to do a real Fan Fic on Astro Boy or Perhaps Yu-Gi-Oh! mm maybe I will try. Do you get anything if you win btw :confused:
"You're wrong. The heart may be weak, and sometimes, it may even give in. But I know, deep inside it, there is a light that never goes out."-Sora

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

1magus wrote:Sounds need I have a story that is 11,000 words but probably not wanted because of it's subject.

You must not write a word before the beginning of the contest, you must start from scratch.

Do you get anything if you win btw :confused:

You get only the warm feeling of having achieved something great :cool:
Submitting a novel consists in submitting a text file to a CGI script which will do nothing else than count the words. Even if the words are random, it will be ok. Of course, there is no point in cheating if there is nothing else than that warm feeling to win ;)
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

I think it would take me about 60 hours to write that much... But I'd have to have some inspiration!

Oh, and that's my speed in French... :unsure: In English, it would be more than that, for a not very impressive result! :lol: And since there are less words in each sentence in English, that's another factor to take into account...

Anyway, whatever, that's still a lot of time for just one month! Good luck to all the participants! :)

mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 17 years ago

That's such a wonderful idea! :) Too bad I don't have the time to write one. Do you know if we'll be able to read any of the submitted novels?
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 17 years ago

mr skunk wrote:Do you know if we'll be able to read any of the submitted novels?

Only the novels actually published by the authors. The submission is "secret" in the sense that it is submitted to the CGI script, then discarded after the word count has been noted.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

Kaileocomial
Metro City Citizen

Postby Kaileocomial » 17 years ago

LOL, I envy anyone with that much time on their hands, I really do! Seriously though, best of luck to those who get involved. This kind of initiative is a great kick in the pants to anyone who has a great story kicking around in their brain (I have a few myself, but I only have time for one hobby & I chose music!)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

1magus wrote:Sounds need I have a story that is 11,000 words but probably not wanted because of it's subject. Always wanted to do a real Fan Fic on Astro Boy or Perhaps Yu-Gi-Oh!

No subject is out of bounds, it can be anything you want. You don't have to show anyone either. No one has read the last two I wrote, which is probably for the best. :lol:

1magus
Robot President

Postby 1magus » 17 years ago

DrFrag wrote:No subject is out of bounds, it can be anything you want. You don't have to show anyone either. No one has read the last two I wrote, which is probably for the best. :lol:

PM me them than I will keep my mouth SHUT! :whistling:
"You're wrong. The heart may be weak, and sometimes, it may even give in. But I know, deep inside it, there is a light that never goes out."-Sora

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

I've learned that we could write in other languages than English, so I'll give it a try in French! :D

Return to “General Discussion”