Can you name this sad Anime film?

Off topic discussion.
jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

Can you name this sad Anime film?

Postby jarvic » 17 years ago

Hey everybody, I am wondering if you can help me.

A good number of years ago (at LEAST five) I was flipping through the channels late at night and came across a GOOD but dark anime film. I was only able to start watching it about 1/3 of the way into the film I guess. I missed the start. I was never able to find out the title of the movie or when it was made. I really want to see the start.

It's about a brother and sister who survive an atomic bomb. I remember a scene when it rained black... then later on the little sister got very ill and had bruises/blisters all over her body... (the girl played around in the weird rain) :o hmy: I think her hair began to fall out too... later she died... :( the older brother kept hope that his dad was still alive... but near the end of the movie he was told the entire Japanese navy was "sent right to the bottom!" :unsure:

Wow, :whistling: like I said it's a dark movie but I remember it being pretty darn high quality like a Miyazaki flick, but that is all I have to go on. I don't know what else to describe... I mean I remember it was in colour...

So if anyone knows the name of this film, who made it, what year, etc, can you let me know??

Thanks a bunch!!

J

Kaileocomial
Metro City Citizen

Postby Kaileocomial » 17 years ago

Very sad movie indeed, but with an amazingly powerful message about war. What your talking about sounds VERY MUCH like "Grave of the Fireflys" which was made my studio Ghibli, if not directly by Miazaki himself (so good call there). This movie was made at the same time as "My Neighbor Totoro" with both offering very different looks at children coping with life in post-war japan...

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

:w00t:

Bingo!!!! That's the one!! Yes! Now I know what to look for.

Grave of the Fireflies. (I just looked it up on wikipedia.) :cool:

Thanks!

J

mr skunk
Robot President

Postby mr skunk » 17 years ago

The girl didn't get sick from playing out in the rain. It was just a case of starvation and illness, what many people died of during WW2. I first saw the movie in sixth grade, it really disturbed me. :( But it's something I believe everyone should see.
"Make like siamese twins and split.... and then one of you die."

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 17 years ago

That was the first movie that came to mind, then I thought it couldn't be that because I don't remember the girl getting radiation poisoning. :confused:

They made a live action version of it recently.

jarvic
Rocket Ball Champion

Like I said it was quite a while ago and I missed the start of the movie. So I wasn't certain what happened. But yes that is the movie I was thinking of. The wikipedia article has a picture and I remember the boy's hat.

J

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 17 years ago

Kaileocomial wrote:Very sad movie indeed, but with an amazingly powerful message about war. What your talking about sounds VERY MUCH like "Grave of the Fireflys" which was made my studio Ghibli, if not directly by Miazaki himself (so good call there). This movie was made at the same time as "My Neighbor Totoro" with both offering very different looks at children coping with life in post-war japan...

That's what I was about to say. :)
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

Latu
On a Flight into Space

Postby Latu » 17 years ago

DrFrag wrote:They made a live action version of it recently.

Oh, wow. I'll have to look that up.
"Astro, you must exceed the limitations that humans cannot!
You must be go beyond nationality, ethnicity,
pilosophy, and religion,
starvation and poverty,
and war!
Exceed these limitations created by man!
You must fly high! Higher than any human has ever flown before!
To reach for the future that no human has been able to so far!"
:tenma: :astro:

Return to “General Discussion”