where did very one go?

Off topic discussion.
CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 17 years ago

Stupid home work I hate it, so how ever has home work. I know what it feels like.

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

Does anyone have a way of studying History? I take lecture notes. How do you study lecture notes?

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 17 years ago

I used to read at least 2 or 3 times what I had to learn. The best was to read them once right before going to bed, if not literally in my bed! :lol: At that point I wasn't trying to memorize everything, but I was very concentrated. The first thing you know by the next day is that you remember a lot even though you didn't put that much effort into it, or at least a lot less than if you had tried to memorize everything right away. I would do that at least twice.

Then I would take a sheet of paper and write the key points, remaining very general. After that, I would look at what I had just written and see if I could remember what was said in my notes (or the book) about a particular point. It made it easy to see what I could remember without having my book or notes in front of my eyes (sometimes I tended to see the first words of a paragraph and everything would come back to me, but if I couldn't see those few words, chances were I would forget the rest, which is why I liked to study a bit without the book or notes). Obviously, I would then focus on what I couldn't remember. ;)

Sometimes though just reading my notes and memorizing them without writing anything on paper would work. It depended on how hard everything was to remember.

It also depends of what kind of exam it is going to be. If you have a list of, say, 7 elements or dates or steps or whatever and you have to write them all from scratch, then you might have to memorize those. Even multiple choices can be very confusing, and even if you think you can get away without memorizing everything, sometimes you can't. :p I know I used to score better at the final exam than at the midterm exam, because I seemed to have a knack for adapting my study to the teacher's style of exam. I never understood why it didn't seem to be the case for most other students. :confused:

(This reminds me when I had to read books in English. :d oh: I could read a sentence, a paragraph and a whole page and understand every sentence and every single word. However, then I would then ask myself: "What did I just read? What's the main point of this paragraph?" It's hard to explain, but I just couldn't answer anything to those questions at all! :sick: It was as if my brain hadn't registered a thing! :cry: )

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

"stoogefreaky" wrote:Does anyone have a way of studying History? I take lecture notes. How do you study lecture notes?

To remember things, you must think about them. I created tables in WORD, which had various collumns, each one for a purpose. For instance, if the subject was a battle in the Civil War, I had collumns for generals, weapons, etc. I manipulated the data, asking myself questions about it, & writing it while reading it aloud. I stumbled onto the technique because one of my classmates was unable to take note, & I wanted to give her notes that would be meaningful. However, I know that I got far more benefit from actually creating the notes than she got from merely reading them.

One of the purposes of writing essays is to help you remember the stuff.

I even took a class in study habits, but the ways it suggested to help remember things were very unappealing to me. I found writng worked best.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Well I look at my home work see what my job is then go to the text with the information in it and read it over and over to I can find the answers. I then get the answers on to rough paper and see what else I know from my head what I’ve already learnt from memory and add it to the information I already have. I then look for the spelling mistakes and I do full stop and capital letters like what DrFrag and Jeffbert have learned me. And I’ve done the home work. But my hand I have a habit of righting too much and end up having about 2 to 6 pages of work.

stoogefreaky
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby stoogefreaky » 17 years ago

Studying is tough for me already. In high school, I faild evey test in my US History class except like two of them. The only reason I passed was because of the color worksheets he gave us. Sad... But oh well. I hate studying so much. It's so boring! My history teacher called me a meat head. lol

Yep, I gave my teachers a headach.

I'll see what I can do with my History studying. Y'alls methods are extreem. All I do is stare at my notes and just read them, but maybe I can try y'alls way of studying.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

"stoogefreaky" wrote:Studying is tough for me already. In high school, I faild evey test in my US History class except like two of them. The only reason I passed was because of the color worksheets he gave us. Sad... But oh well. I hate studying so much. It's so boring! My history teacher called me a meat head. lol

Yep, I gave my teachers a headach.

I'll see what I can do with my History studying. Y'alls methods are extreem. All I do is stare at my notes and just read them, but maybe I can try y'alls way of studying.

Well, do as best as you can, and see what comes out the other side.

Return to “General Discussion”