Will we hit 200 active members by the New Year?

Off topic discussion.
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

"GhostATR" wrote:This might seem like a stupid question but how often do you have to deal with trolls. (people who just post rude comments and are just there to get a reaction out of people)

That has been rare, fortunately!

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

I'm really amazed how in only a couple weeks, we already have 920+ active members. New year means tons of new members, I guess.
Last edited by Astro Boy2866 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

atoms_gf
Robot President

Postby atoms_gf » 13 years ago

hes right! we have 920 active members!! :)

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"Astro Boy2866" wrote:I'm really amazed how in only a couple weeks, we already have 920+ active members. New year means tons of new members, I guess.

The majority of them are bots though.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

Yeah, but they still add on to the active members category.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Even if a botnet is involved, I didn't think that we would ever reach 900. And its now 926! :w00t: :eek:

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 13 years ago

lowsey black hats have they nothing better to do then atack our little peace of the internet.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Just curious, how many members can this forum possibly hold? I don't know if it has a limit...

Also, normally how long do botnet attacks last? :confused:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

I suppose there can be as much data as the database allows it, but I can't access it so I can't give you specific numbers.

I don't have the answer to your last question. I suppose it will last for as long as the humans will make the robots do it. We'll try to see if we can do more on our side.

Vergere
Administrator

Postby Vergere » 13 years ago

Even with modest storage space, a forum can old millions of users and posts, and the limit for integers is beyond 2 billions. vBulletin forum has 318007 users when I write this message (more than 7000 of them being active), and phpBB forum is well past a million users already.

A botnet can continue attacking for months or years if nobody changes the targets. The only reason for them to stop is if it becomes more "productive" to attack elsewhere. By reducing their spam next to nil, we make our forum less interesting for them. Unfortunately we have no better solution than taking the spam in the face, wash it away, and wait until they see it is of no use. By reporting the spam that you find, you contribute to cleaning up the forum very fast, as our system will prioritize reported posts containing the word "spam" (and for this reason, make sure to spell it correctly, the system may fail to recognize the word if it has a typo).
Restless guardian of this forum.

Despair spammer ye who enter here.

Return to “General Discussion”