A bat has moved in above me...

Off topic discussion.
The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

A bat has moved in above me...

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 12 years ago

Okay, I like bats. No, seriously - they're cute, they eat bugs...did I mention they're cute? But, I don't like bats so much that I want them as roommates.

A bat has moved into our roof. Okay, no biggie - he leaves at dusk and comes back at dawn, making a little noise here and there. At least, this is what I thought. But, this is not the case. :eek: This guy wakes up and flies over our yard all night clicking. I get home from work at around 1 or 2 in the morning and all I hear is...Click, click, click, click, click...

I...don't want to hurt it. But...I want mah sleep. :mad: What should I do...? (If I call pest control, they'd kill it as soon as they got it since there is a small outbreak of rabies in the next town, and I don't want that...

The worst part is that the bat lives right above my bed. I sleep in a loft bed. My face is two feet away from the ceiling.
Click, click, click, click, click...
Last edited by The Tawashi Bus Hat on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic - I'm currently obsessed with ghosts...
*dust*

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 12 years ago

hi- any way you can set a trap to catch it - food with something to gently put it to sleep so you or someone can take it somewhere else to live and fix or cover up the entrances into the roof- hope this idea is not too dumb- THE TAWASHI BUS HAT- PRAY YOU ALWAYS THE VERY BEST ALWAYS

WAS THERE SOMETHING ELSE YOU MENTION ABOUT GHOST- ONCE TALK TO A GIRL WHO WAS HAVING A PROBLEM WITH SOMETHING WORST THEN A GHOST
Last edited by avatargirl on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 12 years ago

LOL!
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 12 years ago

Welcome back!

I say retaliate with garlic! Those lil' creatures of the night can't stand the stuff. :sick:
Last edited by Novacain on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic, talkin' bats, not vampires.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

It's so Good to See You Again!!

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

I'm almost glad you're going "batty" TBH !! :whistling: I just mentioned the other day how much I missed you around here.

I have a couple ideas for you:

Call the local DEC office (Dept. of Environmental Conservation) - they might be willing to relocate the little fellow, or recommend someone who could.

Next choice would be your local Cooperative Extension service office extension.org will help you find your nearest office if you're not sure. I happen to work at one of these places and we get calls all the time for everything from bedbugs to bees to bears (doesn't have to be a "B" word, but it's interesting we're talking bats). It's quite possible they might have a connection for humanely removing and relocating him.

Otherwise I'd suggest looking up wildlife rehabilitators who might be willing to help or have another contact.

If there is a rabies outbreak however, you might not be able to get someone to move him (there could be an ordinance to destroy bats). So if you know where he/she is getting in, you could possibly patch the opening (at night so he's not trapped inside), then he'll simply have to move.

We had bats in our home growing up - in the attic and sometimes they'd fly down the chimney and out of the fireplace into the living room!! :w00t: Let me tell you, that is one big surprise! My parents had to patch up little openings in their attic/roof and they've been bat-free for a long time. :)

Hope everything else is going well for you, and that your sister is doing well!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

@avatargirl - The problem is that there are so many ways to get into the roof that I'd have to hire a contractor to fix them all up, haha! Considering investing in a live trap...

@animegirl - :shifty:

@Novacain - Not a bad idea. I am growing garlic...

@AprilSeven - (My sister is fine, but she broke her arm a week before Christmas. She was chasing a lizard, tripped on a stump and broke her arm. How do you explain to the paramedics that your 24 year old sister broke both arm bones while chasing a lizard?! The real irony is that the paramedics that helped her were the same ones that resuscitated her when she almost died. Kinda neat, I guess...anyway.)
There is an animal reserve center that I have been trying to get in touch with recently. Two problems - 1, since I live in a small town, the nearest center is...more than an hour away, haha! 2, I'm not sure if they are willing to risk taking in a bat with the rabies outbreak.

Thing is, I know the little guy isn't infected since I've seen my share of rabies cases. BUT, I don't know if he's carrying it all the same. I'm considering getting one of those little bat houses and putting it on the shed. You know...maybe he'd move there instead?

Maybe he just needs a girlfriend, lol.

Ah, it's good to be back guys. ^_^ Nice to see everyone is still here.
*dust*

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 12 years ago

you can close off all the posible entrences, the bat will be using just 1 point to get into the place, if you hang mesh in front of that hole, he can get out but will not be-able to figure out how to get back in, then he will go find somewhere else to life, once he is gone close up the hole permanently.

use half-inch wire mesh, kinda like small chicken wire, I saw on tv the show verminators, that is what they use to block places for pests to land or get in.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

Welcome back, The Tawashi Bus Hat! :)

I've had similar issues with birds. I thought it was a nest but later found out there were many of them, it was more like a condo. :eek: I was also going to suggest covering up the entrance since that's what I did (after the little ones had grown! :D ). But if it's not possible, huh... :unsure: Good luck!

In any case, you are an excellent story teller! ;)

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 12 years ago

hi- so glad you are back THE TAWASHI BUS HAT! MEANT TO SAY THAT IN MY PREVIOUS POST HERE- PRAY you always the very best

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

@diehard - The mesh idea actually sounds good. I think I'll try that this weekend - I still got some black mesh from when we were gardening last year...I put boards over most of the openings tonight. Maybe those will deter him?

@Astro Forever - Thankfully it's just one bat right now, hehe. As cute as baby bats are, I don't want them clicking around all night. xD

Story teller? :confused: You crackin' wise? xD

@avatargirl - :wub:
*dust*

Return to “General Discussion”