Reading through all my Tezuka manga

Off topic discussion.
MightyAstro
Robot President

Reading through all my Tezuka manga

Postby MightyAstro » 11 years ago

I've been through my entire collection of 23 Astroboy books over the past year or so. Now I've read my Lost World book and in the process of reading my Metropolis book. As I finish them I'm storing them in bags to protect them.

My lady in Texas is interested in them. She says if hardback versions of them all come out we can buy them to read one day and keep the softbacks stored for collectibles.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Like hell many of Tezuka's manga are going to be released in Hardback well maybe even more than from some other things but that's not the point it still isn't even doing that good in the USA ...

Vertical hasn't even put out anything new in how long ? yes that long and Adolf isn't even new for the English market because it was released in the 90's many pepole already have it (i'm being that foul that's going to buy it twice but yeha Hardback :D din't got the Dororo omninous because it wasn't even hardback)
At least DMP has finally taken a stand in publishing Tezuka works with there kickstarter projects we could expect about anything from them at this point i guess :cool: ?

even in that western tezuka paradise called France they don't publish much of his works in Hardcover only a view have been most of them werent from the first printing,

But then again if you take care of softcovers there about to happnen nothing with them at least that's how i see it, i'm a Otaku and i'm not gonna put my manga in bags.

And Come on Vertical step on your Tezuka game again
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

MightyAstro
Robot President

I understand just because hardback is so much better doesn't mean everything's going to be released in hardback editions.

But that's okay. I do try to look after my paperbacks. Astroboy book 13's cover was somehow accidentally bent while I was visiting my fiancée in America. We don't know how it happened but she bought me a replacement copy just in time. It certainly is extra protection to bag them and take them out only when you want to read it.

I've finished Metropolis and I'll begin the first book of Nextworld soon. I'm starting with Tezuka series I have complete sets of. All 23 Astroboy books plus what's known as the Great Science Fiction Trilogy: Lost World, Metropolis and Nextworld. That's a four book set since Nextworld is divided into two installments.

I will keep you all updated as I go through my collection. I'm also booked to visit Michelle again starting October 27th. We shall be discussing our future wedding and all it will entail face to face. I'll let you all know about that also.
Last edited by MightyAstro on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I really admire and even envy you folks with soooo many mangas in your collection - but I'm about to have my own special Tezuka moment of glory: I was a supporter of the Kickstarter project to translate and print Tezuka's "Barbara" - and I'll be getting a first addition, plus t-shirt and digital companion any day now -- whooo hooo!! :w00t:

I think this story is going to be kind of "dark" and "adult" for my taste, but I think it will be very interesting to read his "serious" stuff, and this is great because it's never been presented to the English speaking world before, and my $35 helped make it happen. YAAAY Kickstarter!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

MightyAstro
Robot President

Congratulations Nancy. :w00t:

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

"AprilSeven" wrote:I really admire and even envy you folks with soooo many mangas in your collection - but I'm about to have my own special Tezuka moment of glory: I was a supporter of the Kickstarter project to translate and print Tezuka's "Barbara" - and I'll be getting a first addition, plus t-shirt and digital companion any day now -- whooo hooo!! :w00t:

I think this story is going to be kind of "dark" and "adult" for my taste, but I think it will be very interesting to read his "serious" stuff, and this is great because it's never been presented to the English speaking world before, and my $35 helped make it happen. YAAAY Kickstarter!!
I pleged 140 USD to the Unico-Atomcat/Trition kickstarter :D and i regret that i din't do it for Barbara kickstarter when the pledge was already made but i pre-orderd it already.

If you have never read any of Tezuka's adult works your in for a big suprise i love them more than about anything else in the world (along with his Sci-fi stories like The Crater) :lol: although Phoenix is my favourite which might as well can be placed in the category his real adult works have so much suspense and violance and some other things i'm not going to name here :lol: .

Tezuka's ussual sense of hope and love for all living things that we all know and love is completly gone in these stories although in some more than the other that has to be sad, if you want Tezuka's on his Darkest you have to go for MW or Alabaster (MW you can just get from Vertical,Alabaster recently got released in French and Italian but i'm sure it will see the light of day in English at some point)

Also you probably know that Adolf is also coming out soon from Vertical in Hardcover if you haven't got the release from the 90's.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Yeah, I'm more a of fantasy/sci fi/happy ending person - but I'll see how I like it. I saw MW in Barnes and Noble a couple years ago when I was purchasing Pluto - it looked very interesting, but if things getting gory, I'm likely to drop it.

Guess that's why Astro is my favorite!!! XD Still, I'm glad Tezuka was such a prolific writer and capable of great works in many styles.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I really admire and even envy you folks with soooo many mangas in your collection - but I'm about to have my own special Tezuka moment of glory: I was a supporter of the Kickstarter project to translate and print Tezuka's "Barbara" - and I'll be getting a first addition, plus t-shirt and digital companion any day now -- whooo hooo!! :w00t:

Is it already out yet for the rest of the world? I have been looking for Barbara for some time.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

"Hikari Tail" wrote:[QUOTE=AprilSeven;201949]I really admire and even envy you folks with soooo many mangas in your collection - but I'm about to have my own special Tezuka moment of glory: I was a supporter of the Kickstarter project to translate and print Tezuka's "Barbara" - and I'll be getting a first addition, plus t-shirt and digital companion any day now -- whooo hooo!! :w00t:

Is it already out yet for the rest of the world? I have been looking for Barbara for some time.[/QUOTE]It will come out soon you better to buy it at thebookdepository.com cheapest way to get it in europe

(niet op Bol.com kopen of zo zou het vast nog niet uit zijn en heel duur als je dat bedoelt met de rest van de wereld al wel :d oh :) .

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 11 years ago

"Tetsuwan Atom" wrote:[QUOTE=Hikari Tail;202135][QUOTE=AprilSeven;201949]I really admire and even envy you folks with soooo many mangas in your collection - but I'm about to have my own special Tezuka moment of glory: I was a supporter of the Kickstarter project to translate and print Tezuka's "Barbara" - and I'll be getting a first addition, plus t-shirt and digital companion any day now -- whooo hooo!! :w00t:

Is it already out yet for the rest of the world? I have been looking for Barbara for some time.[/QUOTE]It will come out soon you better to buy it at thebookdepository.com cheapest way to get it in europe

(niet op Bol.com kopen of zo zou het vast nog niet uit zijn en heel duur als je dat bedoelt met de rest van de wereld al wel :d oh :) .[/QUOTE]

Vind dat helemaal niet erg ;)
Ik probeer altijd Tezuka dingen te kopen, om te laen zien dat er wel vraag is in Nederland.

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

Return to “General Discussion”