On January 1st, 2013, Anime (as we know it) will be 50 years old!

Off topic discussion.
Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

On January 1st, 2013, Anime (as we know it) will be 50 years old!

Postby Bakabits » 11 years ago

As we all know, the first anime to create the "Otaku" culture was none other than the Astroboy anime from 1963. Astroboy just so happened to be aired on new years day that year.

I created this thread to honor not just tezuka, but rather anime in general and how its changed over time. Over time I'll be posting all kinds of stuff related to Anime including (but not limited to) Openings, Endings, and scenes. I will try to show content that you may not be familiar with.

Feel free to share any anime content you want in this thread. We all should contribute! :lol:

I'll start by posting an opening that is considered the "Blueprint" for modern openings. This opening is titled PSI-Missing and was used for the anime "Toaru Majustu no Index" back in 2008.
Now active on MyAnimeList

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 11 years ago

Sailor Moon - An obvious classic shojo anime which is what got the magical girl genre popular. It was also my first shojo anime.

Astro Boy (1980's) - This was my favorite Astro Boy series as a kid growing up. It was my first shonen anime, (i believe I discovered both Astro Boy and Sailor Moon around the same general time period), and I grew to love it. I remember Daddy would always bring home Astro Boy video tapes, this was around the early 2000's. THis has a special place in my heart.

Speed Racer - I always loved to sing the theme song. A total classic anime.

Cutie Honey Flash - This is my favorite Cutie Honey series. It's also actually not too perverted in contrast to the other Cutie Honey series'. I also think it has the prettiest animation. This Cutie Honey series I can definatly compare to Sailor Moon sort of. I wish this series was released to the US, but unfortunatly the only way I can watch it is subtitled on anime streaming sites. :(

That's it for the old school stuff for now. XD
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

Some influential anime that I have watched over the years:

~Dragon Ball Z. My all-time favorite anime, mainly because I grew up with it and it was the anime that introduced me to anime. Been a fan of the series since 1999 and am still a huge fan today. Very influential anime that set the bar for all shonen anime after it.

I also love Dragon Ball and, to an extent, Dragon Ball GT.

~Astro Boy (2003). The anime that made me become a fan of Astro Boy! I first watched it sporadically back in 2004 and later revisited it in February 2011. Though I consider it to be my least favorite overall of the three Astro Boy anime, I think the final 6 episodes is one of the best stories I've seen told in an anime. I also love the '80s series and still have yet to see the '60s series in full. Great series and a great fanbase! :)

~Hunter X Hunter. My favorite on-going anime at the moment. Great storytelling and great characters (and character development). I prefer the 1999 anime a tad bit more (the opening is in my top 5 favorite anime openings), but the 2011 anime is very good as well.

~Now and Then, Here and There. Wow, where to begin. Just typing the name of that anime brings back a lot of memories. I first watched this anime back in September 2008 on the Sci-Fi Channel (now the Syfy Channel). It holds a special place in my heart and is what I consider to be the greatest anime I have ever watched.

The anime deals with putting children into war and the consequences behind that. It's a very emotional and dark anime. If you are 16 years old or over, I highly recommend watching this series. All 13 episodes are available free online if you want to watch it.

~Nobody's Boy: Remi. Based on the 1878 French novel by Hector Malot. Don't let the opening fool you. This anime, like Now and Then, Here and There, is an emotional roller coaster that some consider to be one of the most depressing anime ever. If you can get past the drama that this series holds though, you'll find this unknown gem to be a very enjoyable and satisfying experience. Sadly, the series is no longer available in full anywhere legally to watch online. When I watched this series, it was up for a limited time to stream on Anime News Network back in 2010. It was taken down recently though, most likely due to low view counts, which is quite unfortunate.

I could post more anime, but I'll leave off there for now.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

Yu Yu Hakusho - One of my favorite animes. I saw parts of this back when this was on Toonami and remember being appealed by the show. Then back in 2009, I went back to watch the entire series and loved pretty much every minute of it. I am hoping that this show returns to Toonami in its full uncut glory.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Series/movies/ova's that haven't been mentioned here yet that i have already seen (there is a hell of a lot that i still want to get to but haven't yet)

Space Advanture cobra the movie haven't seen the series

Ghost in the shell movie haven't seen the series so i go for the movie here

Akira

Golgo 13

Black Jack ova (Tezuka)

In the begging bible stories(Tezuka)

Lupin the third Castle of Cagliostro but the whole lupin francise in general

Phoenix series(Osamu Tezuka)
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 11 years ago

Fruits Basket - A sweet and funny anime with an interesting storyline. Me and Sis love to watch it together.

YuGiOh - That was one of my shows of my childhood. I loved watching the anime when it came on when I was 6 or 7. I really love the season 0, the true first season that didn't get released to the US, and I wish Funimation or something would pick it up. I also love YGOTAS, and Yugi is my current fangirl crush at the moment. LOL!

Ouran High School Host Club - LOL! THis anime is so funny. Such a bishonen anime.

Hetalia - History, not to mention stereotypes, have never looked so cute. In this anime characters are countries personified as handsome teenage boys (and a few pretty girls), showing world history in a new light.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

I din't quite mention everything in my last post

One Piece by far my favourite Shonen series and perhaps favourite series and it's grazy popular in Japan it has surpassed DBZ by far for those who don't know

Shinzo

Space Battle ship Yamato aka Star Blazers

Space Pirate Captain Harlock

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

OMG I CAN't BELIEVE THE ASTRO BOY SERIES IS NOW 50 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

The original anime is, anyway. Atom himself is over 60. :3

I don't think I've seen all of Fruit's Basket- just what streams on Netflix.

I'm on the fence about Hetalia (Netflix has got it, but it's rated TV-MA, and that usually means gross stuff, like gore or sexual stuffs).

I've seen a tiny bit of Chobits, but I couldn't even watch all the episodes that were on Netflix- Chi is adorable, but it's terribly boring, and full of perverted "humor".
lolwut

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

There is an articleabout the history of anime which is pretty informative.

Otogi Manga Calendar was the first anime starting in 1961.

Strangelly the article don't mention Tetsuwan Atom from what I read.

Another interesting article lies here (this time about Tezuka).

Return to “General Discussion”