Disney now owns Lucasfilm and Marvel . . . Could they eventually own Tezuka?

Off topic discussion.
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I'll take an arrogant studio that gives me a chance to read the stories I've been literally waiting 50 years to enjoy! I don't see anybody else doing it.

And it would be a shame to assume they wouldn't want "little" Tezuka Pro . . . then again, maybe that IS how an arrogant studio would think! :rolleyes: :lol: I get your point!

oh, well, . . . I can hope . . . and dream! :astro: :cool:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I'll take an arrogant studio that gives me a chance to read the stories I've been literally waiting 50 years to enjoy! I don't see anybody else doing it.

And it would be a shame to assume they wouldn't want "little" Tezuka Pro . . . then again, maybe that IS how an arrogant studio would think! :rolleyes: :lol: I get your point!

oh, well, . . . I can hope . . . and dream! :astro: :cool:
Yeha know what you mean i have been holding off to get that second Japanese Astro Boy set for a while now just to name something, being European i may have a little more Tezuka manga than you Americans have but that also woudn't add up still so much awesome stuff missing ...

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

I don't see them going after Tezuka as like F-Man said, they aren't big anymore. If it weren't for Astro Boy, I'm not sure where they would be today.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

I would not like to see Tezuka company being sold to Disney and I have no faith in that company who goes buying other groups to add to their own industry.
If Tezuka was bought by Disney, then it would lack a lot of quality with weak plots and everything just to fit the western interest in every possible show.
We don't need such a thing to happen.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

"Toshio" wrote:I would not like to see Tezuka company being sold to Disney and I have no faith in that company who goes buying other groups to add to their own industry.
If Tezuka was bought by Disney, then it would lack a lot of quality with weak plots and everything just to fit the western interest in every possible show.
We don't need such a thing to happen.

True. But to be fair, that already kind of happened with the way Sony handled the 2003 series for Western market.

Personally, I feel we shouldn't be judging Disney too much at this point. After all, nothing has really come of the merger just yet. And I think the same thing may apply to Tezuka Productions of Disney ever bought them. And besides, people had the same reactions when Disney bought Marvel. While it certainly led to some bad stuff (such as the cancellation of Spectacular Spiderman), we've also gotten a lot of good out of it (like The Avengers).

So while I don't see a Tezuka merger happening anytime soon, I certainly don't think it would mean the automatic dumbing down of the company's legacy. But, that's just my take on it.

Toshio
Banned

I don't wish to think about them merging.
It doesn't make sense, it's like selling years of tradiction for cheap.

Astroboy599
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Astroboy599 » 11 years ago

It would b e very interesting to see, I would really love and want Astro to be more popular, If disney was thinking of buying Tezuka productions, i'm all for it
Astro: "Dr. O'shay....... Do I have to do my homework?" O'shay: "yes Astro, you must do your homework" Astro: "darn it!"

鉄腕アトムのルール :astro:
My youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/Aang599?feature=mhee

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 11 years ago

I don't think they will merge with Disney. Tesuka Productions is owned by Nippon Television Network Corporation (NTV) who owns many other Japanese animation corporations. How do I know this? If you go to the Official Tezuka Productions website (http://tezukaosamu.net/en/) and look on the VERY BOTTOM it says "Copyright (symbol): NTV" Also, Japanese Anime producers are VERY strict with whom they share their licenses with outside of Japan. Funimation sometimes pays more then $10,000 for one ep of a show. Maybe more if its popular enough. If Disney were to buy out one of these corporations they would also need to license the works as well.

On a side note, Tezuka Productions' works are being licensed all over now! I think someone recently officially released episodes 1-24 of the 03 series of AB in the original widescreen format with both ENG and JPN dub! If people are licensing this and other Tezuka works then Disney won't be able to get em all at once.
Now active on MyAnimeList

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

"Bakabits" wrote:I don't think they will merge with Disney. Tesuka Productions is owned by Nippon Television Network Corporation (NTV) who owns many other Japanese animation corporations. How do I know this? If you go to the Official Tezuka Productions website (http://tezukaosamu.net/en/) and look on the VERY BOTTOM it says "Copyright (symbol): NTV"

That NTV copyright is merely there for the "Young Black Jack" picture which they own.

"Bakabits" wrote:On a side note, Tezuka Productions' works are being licensed all over now! I think someone recently officially released episodes 1-24 of the 03 series of AB in the original widescreen format with both ENG and JPN dub!

You'd be wrong, unless you mean the Korean DVD release which is almost as old as the show. But you're right about the works being licensed all over, first by Viki, and starting next year by Anime Sols.
I'm on Twitter.

Toshio
Banned

I think is pointless for Tezuka sell themselves and there is even a issue which Disney wanted to hire Tezuka and guess what he REFUSED.
The fact that Disney is buying other companies shows that they're lacking creativity in several of their works.
Don't forget the plagiarism which they did in the past and also the lack of quality in their recent cartoons.

Return to “General Discussion”