Any Good Shows?

Off topic discussion.
Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Any Good Shows?

Postby Juanita » 9 years ago

Hey! I'm looking for some new shows to watch.
I'm mainly looking for current shows (within the last year or two) that are ongoing. They can be live action, anime, or cartoons. My favorite genres are comedy, action/adventure, and fantasy, but if you have a good show that doesn't fall under those categories you can still recommend it. I'd also prefer if the rating is TV-14 or lower and that the show doesn't have a lot of sexual content.
Examples of current shows I like:
Legend of Korra
Parks and Recreation
Sherlock (while I do like it, I haven't seen much bc the episodes are so long)

Can't wait to see your recommendations!

(Also, if you guys want show/movie recommendations, you can ask for them in this thread too)

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

I'll go ahead and recommend two of the shows I'm watching right now:

One of them is RWBY, which is an online show made by Rooster Teeth (and the only RT show that I watch). I mainly started watching the show because of my familiarity with the creator of the show and his previous work, Dead Fantasy, which is a show the creator made independently before he was hired by Rooster Teeth.

I binged the entire series up to the, at that point, current episode last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fortunately for new viewers, the show is only in its second season and the episodes are pretty short, ranging from 5 minutes to 15 minutes.

There is some blood in the trailers for the show and click for spoilera giant bird gets decapitated, but with no blood or gore. Beyond that, the show is very clean in terms of objectionable content.

You can view every episode up to the current one on Crunchyroll.

I also recommend Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. It's a steampunk anime that takes place in 1889. I'm part way through the series currently and loving it.

It's available on Hulu.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

Being the comic book nerd that I am I have been satisfied with Gotham and CW's The Flash premiered just on Tuesday. I really enjoyed the pilot of The Flash much more than Gotham though.

Right now I am watching the murder mystery of Gracepoint and so far it has been pretty interesting and sort of somber. Really refreshing actually because I normally don't like these kinds of shows.

As for recent movies Maleficent was just superb. It comes out on DVD/Bluray next month I think.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

@Shiyonsan - I have actually seen the first episode of RWBY, and I could not get past the terrible animation. I know they're not professionals (right?), but it was still a big problem for me. It had potential from what I remember, but it hurt my eyes to watch it.

The second anime sound interesting though. I'll definitely check it out!

@Earthshine - I actually forgot about Gotham! It looked interesting to me. I'll have to check that out too.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can watch Gotham on Hulu and Fox's official website. It was a pretty okay show (a little weird if you are familiar with the comics, but as a show it is pretty good).

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

I'll second the recommendation for Gotham and The Flash. I didn't watch the entirety of either first episode for both series all the through, but from what I saw of both, they were pretty good. Gotham has a TV-14 rating and is pretty dark though, just as a forewarning.

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:@Shiyonsan - I have actually seen the first episode of RWBY, and I could not get past the terrible animation. I know they're not professionals (right?), but it was still a big problem for me. It had potential from what I remember, but it hurt my eyes to watch it.

The animation, and the show itself, do get better as the show goes on. They aren't "professionals" by the traditional sense of the word, but in the creator's case, I know he has had a lot of prior experience with 3D animation. Rooster Teeth is a private company and pretty small from what I've gathered (again, I don't watch their other stuff and am not too familiar with their work).

I will admit though that the voice acting isn't the best at times. It's not completely unbearable though in my opinion.

It's not a show for everyone, but I gave it a chance and personally liked it. I understand though if you wouldn't personally like it.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 9 years ago

I personally like Doctor Who. I watch both the classic (usually Tom Baker era) and modern episodes. Um, you can also check out the new Sailor Moon anime, Sailor Moon Crystal. It's closer to the manga, and it updates every other week. The animation is so pretty! 7 episodes are out so far, and you can watch it subbed on Nico Nico.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

@Anime Girl - I did want to start Doctor Who, but i decided not to. It's very long, even if I start from like the 11th doctor. I'm also not a big fan of starting from the middle of a series.
I also tried watching SMC, but I wasn't a big fan. I didn't like animation style or the story. I never watched the original Sailor Moon so there was no nostalgia to keep me watching either.
I appreciate the recommendations though! If you can think of anymore, feel free to suggest them.

Return to “General Discussion”