MegaMan reboot style and AstroBoy Reboot style

Off topic discussion.
OrangeToonist
Kokoro Robot

MegaMan reboot style and AstroBoy Reboot style

Postby OrangeToonist » 7 years ago

Okay, am I the only one that thinks that they're copying the art style from the new AstroBoy Reboot? Seriously, go look at the MegaMan reboot. It's really similar.
Can't they come up with their own art style?

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 7 years ago

After a lot of thinking I decided to move this to the general subsection of ABO since the subject is Megaman.

As for the discussion itself Megaman and Astro Boy have had unconfirmed history! Megaman right out of the gate has always seemed to emulate Atom down the the large volume of his arms and legs down and little shorts to basic plot similarities as well. Dr. Light may be based on Dr. Ochanomizu while the antagonist of the classic series Dr. Wily may very well be loosely based off of Dr. Tenma. So them being 'kindred' is nothing new.

As for 'copying' the art style I am very hesitant to say they are flat-out intentionally copying it (maybe the same artist is doing the designing of him?) It is a -very- pleasing style and is super clean and different.

For a visual here is what we have for Rock.

Last edited by Earthshine on Fri May 27, 2016 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 7 years ago

I guess it does look pretty similar... But nothing comes up when I search about this. Is it an actual thing?

P.S. I've always thought that Super Smash Bros. incarnation of Megaman looked a lot like Atom :D

Edit: Never mind I found it and the more I look at it the more I stress out.

I'm really worried that this will spark even more controversy between the two fandoms. I have the feeling that there's going to be comparisons and copyright shenanigans amongst the fans because the new Megaman is airing a year before ABR is- I hope I'm just thinking too much about this.
Attachments
static1.squarespace.jpg
static1.squarespace.jpg (64.23 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Last edited by YJ_Doodle on Fri May 27, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 7 years ago

They have no right to complain (although knowing Megaman fans, they will anyways); the AB Reboot has been in development for a long time now, and the look seems to have been decided on in the early stages. Idk how long whatever this is has been in development for, but the ABR still arguably came first. (Again, though, somebody is going to complain...)

It's not nearly as nice-looking as the Reboot's style, I think. This looks a little cheap in comparison...
lolwut

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 7 years ago

I was going to say that the style reminded me of the show Tron: Uprising and after a quick search lo and behold I was right.

The company, Polygon Pictures, also animated Transformers: Prime and Transformers: Robots in Disguise as well as the 2008 Star Wars: The Clone Wars series.

They definitely have a noticeable style. I've seen their animation and it's ok.

Earthshine

So no 'stealing' art styles after all, as I suspected.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 7 years ago

There are some similarities (style, colours and face), but other than that, I do not think it is enough to warrant any complaints.

Earthshine

I am honestly surprised there are any complaints in general, however then again as Little Brown Fox said people WILL complain no matter what.

I am excited for both to be quite honest as a fan of both Megaman and Astro Boy. It will be interesting to see them both in action.

Return to “General Discussion”