Favorite childhood Christmas presents (or just any toy)

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Favorite childhood Christmas presents (or just any toy)

Postby jeffbert » 7 years ago

I would have to say that mine were

1. Gi Joes (and other 12" figures)
  2. LEGO
  3. Matchbox or HOT WHEELS (etc)

But I would almost surely put LEGO at #1, if I had been a kid anytime since about 1990; though Hasbro did give the Joes backstories, personalities, etc., since shrinking them. Not to mention better vehicles; but the creativity of building sets almost surely tops the GI Joes, regardless of what accessories, etc. they might have.

Still, my absolute favorite 12" figure is MARX Mike Hazard. A friend had one, & when he outgrew his, I begged it from him. James Bond could not have more spy goodies. Exploding attache case (used one cap from a roll), also had knife in its side, just like Bond's in From Russia W/ Love. A Luger with removable barrel swapped for a sub machine gun, wigs, glasses w/ beard, cool stuff. :ninja: I still have it. :p The odd thing about this figure, is that MARX never made an enemy for it. In the medieval knights & Johnny West series, there were the heroes and villains. But this guy was all alone.

One Christmas, I got a GI Joe Desert Patrol attack Jeep, modeled on TV's RAT PATROL. ALL IN ALL, I had 4 similar jeeps, 2 of these (begged the 2nd one off a relative, who had grown up). The mother of that family made great pan fried chicken! The friend mentioned earlier, had a green GI Joe jeep with cannon (that shot a plastic shell, & trailer with searchlight. Some Xmas, or was it a birthday? I also got one of those, but, safety-minded busybodies forced HASBRO to block the barrel, so it could not shoot the projectile! :mad: I painstakingly drilled out the rivets on the cannon, opened it, and filed out the blockage.

The 1st jeep was a Stony Smith SEARS exclusive. I do not believe it lasted very long, though. The Marx figures lost their ability to hold a pose after the notches inside the joints wore away.

As I hated everything about myself, I hated figures' light colored hair, & took black markers to color their hair more to my liking, but often slipped. Thus, few would want my collection of them.

LEGO back then, was rather boring, at least compared to current sets. Nothing much moved, though there were a few pieces that did. No minifigs, no, not for several decades. Still, building things was fun. :p

:rolleyes:

There were two electronic sets: One made by Raytheon, as I recall LECTRON, AND A radfio shack 100 in 1 set, but I had very little, if any understanding of electronics then. I did turn the so-called lie detector into a shock box, using a separate switch, and the set's relay, though I doubt if I understood how or why it worked.

Oh, Matchbox, HOT WHEELS & JOHNNY LIGHTNING. I had a JL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Lightning track that used sliding levers to catch hooks underneath the cars, & fling them forward. Johnny Lightning - Wikipedia. It did not last very long, though.

I had at least two slot car tracks, the 1st one had the 1930s style cars and a figure 8 where they were to collide. Fenders would fall off, etc. Not an HO scale, likely several times larger.
Last edited by jeffbert on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 7 years ago

I honestly can't remember... Legos were common and possibly my favorite toy throughout my childhood, but also board games or dolls accessories... My favorite probably changed from year to year. I think every year I was probably wishing for something just as much as I had the year before.

I'm younger than you are so there were probably differences, but I thought the Lego sets were interesting already in my childhood. I chose them as much for what they were meant to build as for the possibilities of doing whatever else I wanted with the pieces in the set.

I don't know about you, but I've seen some of the recent adult sets and I considered buying myself one for Christmas. But I had other expenses in December that, while useful and long thoughts, felt very much like Christmas gifts at the same time, so I would have felt guilty spending so much on a Lego set (those I like the best are almost the most expensive ones). Perhaps one day!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

INTERESTING; I thought that LEGO and most other building toys such as ERECTOR sets had really failed to catch-on among girls. The short-lived FABULAND sets come to mind, as illustrative of this. Though, admittedly, LEGO has recently re-entered the girls' toys market. :ninja:

Astro Forever
Administrator

Yes, I have heard the Lego designers overlooked girls tastes, but I was always able to find sets I loved. And even if I didn't, as I said, building my own ideas was the most fun to me, so I chose sets for the kind of blocks that came with them.

I had never heard of Fabuland, but looking up, my very first Lego set was indeed from that collection. It was precisely this one. It wasn't my choice, it was a gift from my parents. I was so happy to finally have a Lego set. I had wanted one earlier, but I think my parents were afraid I was still too young and might eat the pieces, and I was frustrated because I knew I wouldn't. :p Anyway, it was their choice, not mine, and I was eager to get a set with more pieces. I always got to choose my own sets afterwards though.

I was into this kind of set:

http://brickset.com/sets/6385-1/Fire-House-I (At least I think that was the one I had, they seem to have so many fire stations!)
http://brickset.com/sets/6378-1/Shell-Service-Station
http://brickset.com/sets/6386-1/Police-Command-Base
http://brickset.com/sets/730-2/basic-building-set-7
Last edited by Astro Forever on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

As I understood it, it was not that there were no sets that were intended for girls, it was more that they really had little interest in them. :shifty:

as I was searching for the 1960s Gears and wheels set, I found this:
lego.jpg
lego.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 3401 times

:w00t:

HERE IT IS:
LEGO 005 DISCOVERY SET..jpg
LEGO 005 DISCOVERY SET..jpg (113.41 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

I got one of these for Xmas one year.
Other than the axles, the only moving parts were those 4 white circles, which have rotating tops. As you can see, some of the gears are meshed. The axles, such as they were-- one is seen in the lower left & upper right compartments; a 2 by 4 stud axle block, with red wheels & gray tires attached. The white gears fit perfectly inside the large gray tires. This type was essentially all there was even during my teenage years when my youngest brother & I still played together.

More images on eBay, for now, anyway: [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-VINTAGE-005-DISCOVERY-SET-GEARS-BRICKS-Wheels-WINDOWS-1960S-/112243114493?hash=item1a223601fd:g:zNkAAOSwux5YWWT9[/url]
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Astro Forever
Administrator

"jeffbert" wrote:as I was searching for the 1960s Gears and wheels set, I found this:
[attachment=]6826[/attachment]
:w00t:

What is that? :o hmy: It looks like an optical illusion!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 7 years ago

It's one of MC Escher's most famous drawings.

Please tell me you've seen the movie Labyrinth...

Astro Forever
Administrator

"DrFrag" wrote:It's one of MC Escher's most famous drawings.

Thank you so much for the reference! Now that I saw the image, I even wonder if it had been posted somewhere on this forum over 10 years ago, but of course even if it had been, I had totally forgotten about it and would never have made the connection.

"DrFrag" wrote:Please tell me you've seen the movie Labyrinth...

:whistling: :blush:

I'm so not knowledgeable about movies. Years ago, I was playing a game online over general knowledge and I recall another player figuring out quickly how bad I was at it, and kept throwing me related questions so that I'd lose. :shifty: :mad: :lol: (Fortunately, most people simply assumed that me being female meant that sports questions would be too difficult for me. :rolleyes: )

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 7 years ago

Okay, that's it. I am personally flying to Canada to make sure you watch Labyrinth. :lol:

Astro Forever
Administrator

:lol:

I forgot to ask: have you ever managed to complete Lego Astro? :astro:

Return to “General Discussion”