How did you discover Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

I miss many of these users (even some who weren't around anymore when I joined). :cry: But I'm glad there are a few of you still around! :astro:

"Mark" wrote:I used to watch the show on TV when I was young, but it wasn't until the series was re-released on video in the late 90's that I became really obsessed with Astro :)

I bought all the videos straight away - and got some very strange looks from cashiers, wondering why a teenager was buying "childrens videos" :P

Now this is funny... I discovered the show as a child in the 1980s and fell in love when I realized it wasn't one of those violent robot shows (in my mind at the time, at least).

Years later, I wanted to watch a few episodes again and rent some tapes. I too was wondering what the cashier would think! :blush: :lol: Am I the only one to worry about these things sometimes? :unsure:

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 13 years ago

I never really discovered it persay. It was passed down through generations. I'm glad its a continued thing.
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

Ghost
Banned

Postby Ghost » 13 years ago

I sorta wish I was born a few decades earlier to have grown up with the 80s series at least. Unfortunately I was born in 1995,(I'm 16 as of now) a few years after Tezuka died.

I remember seeing ads for the B&W 60s series on Adult Swim back in 2007 when I was 13 and I didn't think much of it. I use to hate anime and the way it looked and sounded didn't appeal to me at the time. It wasn't until I saw a trailer for the 09 movie that a bit of interest in the series sparked. At the time I knew the name, and the character's face, but nothing more. I didn't like the way Astro looked for some reason; I think it was his classic outfit, or it may have been because he looked like a Disney character. Back then I hated Disney and most "Kiddie" stuff. (I was into more dark and violent stuff, still am, I'm just more open minded now.) I don't remember exactly why, but I just didn't like Astro Boy when I first laid eyes on him.

I started on the 80s series, I didn't like it at first, but I liked the complexity of the plot. Astro/Atom eventually grew on me after I watched a few episodes. I just couldn't take my eyes off him for some reason after I watched him for so long; now he's one of my favorite animated characters. (I really don't know what made me like the character so much, I think it's because of his origin behind his creation and his father. Again, I don't remember.)

I've said many times before that I didn't think much of the movie. In a way I hate to say that I became aware of it because of a crappy CG adaptation that wasn't even a success. But at least I know of it now, and I'm glad. There needs to be more animated shows like Astro Boy today on TV instead the crap I've seen on Cartoon Network for the past 5 years.

Rick
Metro City Citizen

Postby Rick » 13 years ago

I think i have see Astro in the past, but right to know i have him from the
2009 Movie. I have read in a magazine about the movie and i like it from the
first moment.
Astro love the Earth and the Earth love Astro. :astro:

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Gotta Love ASTRO BOY » 13 years ago

Well at first i thought i was reluctently watching the movie in october of 2010 with my little brother but then i was watching for the fourth time then the fivth then i went on youtube and found out about the three series and started to watch the 2003 series then in late december of 2010 i found a book that said this was Astros official fan site and on January 2 2011 I got on here for the first time

atoms_gf
Robot President

Postby atoms_gf » 13 years ago

WELL, AGAIN i used to watch it when i was 3 or 4 then when the movie came out i randomly remembered it and then got ubsessed with the 03 series :p

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

Cool i would have been 6 at the time the 03 series came out and even though i was watching alot of cartoon network back then i dont remeber Astro boy

Gotta Love ASTRO BOY
Cosmic Ranger

@ Ghost: I have a friend who hates the japanese anime stile but shes always like " Oh I hate anime" and Im like " You hate animations?" and shes like "No just anime" then Im like "There the same word only ones shorter" and then she says "No anime is Japanese for animation" and thats were i normally slap my forhead and walk away. :lol: I've always loved the Japanese anime style so i guess Ill never understand her

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 13 years ago

I discovered Astro Boy thanks to a wonderful invention called a television. :p
It was the 1980's series that I was first introduced to, loved it as a kid and still do!

"Astro Forever" wrote:Years later, I wanted to watch a few episodes again and rent some tapes. I too was wondering what the cashier would think! :blush: :lol: Am I the only one to worry about these things sometimes? :unsure:

No, I don't think so. I went to a blockbuster and they were having a huge sale on DVD's, Astro Boy the movie being one of them. I ended up buying 3 movies of the horror genre and Astro Boy. The clerk gave me a perplexed look. I'm sure he originally assumed I was buying it for someone else but then I pulled out my Astro Boy wallet... :astro:

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"Gotta Love ASTRO BOY" wrote:@ Ghost: I have a friend who hates the japanese anime stile but shes always like " Oh I hate anime" and Im like " You hate animations?" and shes like "No just anime" then Im like "There the same word only ones shorter" and then she says "No anime is Japanese for animation" and thats were i normally slap my forhead and walk away. :lol: I've always loved the Japanese anime style so i guess Ill never understand her

Anime is the Japanese word for animation, so yes it's used in English to describe Japanese animation. And manga is Japanese comics.

I really don't get clerks giving their customers weird looks based on what they buy. I work in that field and I would never do that. In fact it's always the customers who start laughing and make comments when one of their own selection is a family feature. I keep wondering why they do that, I mean many of the best movies of all time are family features!
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”