27 Hurry up Black Cloud Island (PK)

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

27 Hurry up Black Cloud Island (PK)

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

At the request of Manetoys/Dragonrider1227, here is a thread with pictures of Brad:

Sapphire was blinded in previous episodes, and is wandering around

For the few who do not know the story, Mephisto wants his daughter Hekate to be more like a proper witch; though there seems to be some confusion over whether he wants Sapphire's male or female heart, depending on which version we consider. Here, I believe he wants the male heart.

But naughty little Hekate likes herself just the way she is, so she sets out to foil her parents' plan.

Skipping ahead, the girls have sailed to the island where Sapphire's parents had been turned to stone.

Realizing the futility of her quest, Sapphire chooses the easy way out.

"No suicides here girl, this is a kids' show!"

Again, we must skip ahead:
Sapphire has lept into the sea, though I do not recall if this is another suicide attempt or not. I think the Nakayoshi version manga is fairly well followed in this series.

It seems that pirates or seamen in general have a superstition about women on ships, & Sapphire's costume ain't fooling anybody. :lol:

Especially not Capt. Brad, who falls in :heart: with her.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Now Sapphire begins to recall her past:

Sorry for the poor quality of this frame.

I suppose these mermaids are modelled on the Sirens from the Odyssey, and lure sailors to their deaths.

Despite her constant insistence that she is a man :D , Brad persuades her to wear a dress; though this may be Brad's fantasy.

They have landed on an island with a pond of healing water. Tezuka's ANGEL'S HILL also features such a pond. :tezuka:

As her vision begins returning, Sapphire sees this:
:o hmy:

"Oops!"

The mutiny quashed, Sapphire has proven herself worthy of the crew's respect. Though the fact that she interfered with two men's battle should have brought their eternal wrath on her. :lol:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 12 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:==

Especially not Capt. Brad, who falls in :heart: with her.

Okay, I have to wonder. How old is he and how old is she? He looks old enough to be her father :/
BTW thanks for these. I'm actually thinking of cosplaying as this character. Though I prefer is manga name "Captain Blood"

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Blood and Brad must sound the same with a Japanese accent ;) (and use the same romaji) The official site uses the name "Brad", so I wonder if maybe Vertical made a mistake or got the OK from Tezuka Pro first.

the 鉄腕アトム fan
Beyond the Stars

Postby the 鉄腕アトム fan » 12 years ago

That's a really awesome episode ^ I can't wait to read more.
Go Go Go Assstttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooo Boooooooooooooooooy :astro:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I myself wonder about 'Blood'; Errol Flynn was Capt. Blood as was Louis Hayward in the 30s or 40s, & the translators may have been inspired by those characters, but who knows for sure. :p I myself thought 'Brad' ('Brado') was used in the anime.

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

Wow, this episode looks fun to watch. Seeing all the Princess Knight stuff on these forums has grown my interest in this series.

The name thing is interesting. I think you are right, both blood and Brad can be spelled ブラッド(buraddo) in katakana. Personally I like Brad more than Blood.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:blush: I had not even thought about the L/R thing! Thanks, Satus!

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 12 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I myself wonder about 'Blood'; Errol Flynn was Capt. Blood as was Louis Hayward in the 30s or 40s, & the translators may have been inspired by those characters, but who knows for sure. :p I myself thought 'Brad' ('Brado') was used in the anime.

I thought maybe Tezuka simply liked old Errol Flynn era swashbuckler films. :/
Maybe we can say Brad is his first name and Blood is his last name :p

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 12 years ago

Blood makes a lot of sense if it was a captain name in classic movies. The official site can be engrishy at times and shouldn't be considered like an ultimate source when it comes to names. What a mystery...

Return to “General Discussion”