01 ZZZ 02 ATOM & MICHELLE

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

01 ZZZ 02 ATOM & MICHELLE

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

Previous segment / episode: 1, ONE-LEGGED TRACK

O.k., I will now begin filling the gaps with segment #2:

Recalling #1, Atom had just rescued Michelle from the reservoir.

Mrs. Ochanomizu.

It appears that they are evaluating some of the gas that the ZZZ gang had used against its victims.

This rock has certain properties that allow Ochanomizu to track its position.

Here, Atom sees the parent-child relationship, that for him, will not become reality until the 5th story at somewhere around the 55th segment. Recall, that ZZZ is the 1st 13 segments of a 65 segment or episode series. :astro:

Despite the name HULA-HOOP, this was invented by WHAM-O, not the Hawaiians.

What comics are Michelle reading?

In case you cannot tell, the one character's top hat & the other's face indicate this is a Donald Duck comic.

I believe this woman is Michelle's nanny.

The older man is the Japanese Prime Minister, & one of ZZZ's targets.

I had to crank the contrast way up, just to make clear that there is a letter stuck in the arm rest.
This is the letter that was stuck in the armrest.
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

This is fascinating. I wonder why Atom's hair spikes are more "Uran-like" instead of being in the "12-and-9" or "12-and-3" positions.

Maybe they didn't want to constantly have to switch "hairstyles" so used this "compromise?" Also Michelle doesn't appear to be Asian . . . :confused:

And how about that turtleneck sweater :astro: is wearing! :cool: :ninja:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 12 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:This is fascinating. I wonder why Atom's hair spikes are more "Uran-like" instead of being in the "12-and-9" or "12-and-3" positions. Maybe they didn't want to constantly have to switch "hairstyles" so used this "compromise?" Also Michelle doesn't appear to be Asian . . . :confused: And how about that turtleneck sweater :astro: is wearing! :cool: :ninja:
If you look closer, it is not a turtleneck sweater per se but more like a dickey covering his neck and the top of the costume Masato is wearing to help create the illusion that he is a real robot boy. I think you are right about Atom's "hair" though. There are many Japanese who do not necessarily appear to be what is usually considered "Asian". The actor, Jerry Ito, who is best known in the West as Nelson, the main villain from the original "Mothra" (1962) comes to mind. Some times in Japanese films (and apparently some TV shows) they would hire Japanese actors who appeared least "Asian" to portray foreigners as in the case of Ito playing the foreigner Nelson in "Mothra" (1962)
Also the little girl appears to be reading a "Scrooge McDuck" comic book. Scrooge McDuck is Donald Duck's uncle and was a very popular comic book series back in the fifties.
I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:This is fascinating. I wonder why Atom's hair spikes are more "Uran-like" instead of being in the "12-and-9" or "12-and-3" positions.

Maybe they didn't want to constantly have to switch "hairstyles" so used this "compromise?" Also Michelle doesn't appear to be Asian . . . :confused:

And how about that turtleneck sweater :astro: is wearing! :cool: :ninja:

LIVE-ACTION MIGHTY ATOM has some screen caps from the opening & closing. The boy removes some of his costume.
Last edited by jeffbert on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: 01 ZZZ 02 ATOM & MICHELLE

Postby jeffbert » 5 months ago

Next Segment / episode: 3, THE PRIME MINISTER ATTACKED

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”