Weird question.....

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Astra4822
Kokoro Robot

Weird question.....

Postby Astra4822 » 11 years ago

Just out of particular curiosity.... what would Astro's hair feel like? I know hes a robot and everything, but does that mean his hair would be metal-ish? Cuz when he was in the sky with Squirt and Squeegee, it was windy a little and his hair moved like as if it were real hair or something (near end of movie) and so ive just been wondering :confused: and also, does the same go for his skin? How must THAT feel? I mean he is a robot, but if it were to feel metallic, the kids would've known this was weird and would've found out. It must feel like something else, right? And I don't mean to be pushy (ok yes I so do :D ) but what about his red boots?! Does he take those off? What if he needs to sleep and stuff, and how do those feel? Is everything about him metallic feeling?! :eek:
Last edited by Astra4822 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heart&Soul
Kokoro Robot
Location: Metro City (but I visit Las Vegas from time to time)

Postby Heart&Soul » 11 years ago

R@cheL: Those are some pretty good questions! Eve, wanna help out here?

Eve: Why not~? Okay, let's see here... I think Astro's hair was actually a super gelled wig. Or at least, as far as I could tell... I'm still not sure though. As for the skin, it's almost like real skin. It feels warm and everything! Depending on how much time and money Dr. Tenma had, the skin probably has little hairs too. But anyways, it's just like touching a more rubbery skin. The boots are stuck on there. I'd know. -points to slipper shoes on her own feet- We do sleep in them but it doesn't really matter. It's like we're automatically used to it. -shrugs-
R@cheL: Now... I wonder where I can go today?

Eve: I dream about a lady who kinda looks like me. Astro, do you think I'm actually dreaming?

Sarah: I haven't seen Cobalt in awhile... Oh well, I suppose.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Welcome, Astra, and I'm smiling because I couldn't wait to ask all those questions when I first joined the forum!! :D Get ready to become a little confused, though - in fact, you'll probably end up VERY confused!

First . . . there are SO MANY "legitimate" interpretations of Astro Boy, his story, the names of the other characters, and different endings, and powers and how he works, and what he runs on . . .

The short answer is -- there is no, one, correct answer to your questions.

I saw his spikes kind of "wobbling" in the movie, too, so it seemed like maybe they were rubbery.

If you watch the anime from the 1980's there are a couple episodes where he crashes and actually DENTS his "hair" so it has to be replaced! (Sea Serpent Isle is one of them)

Back in the 1960's anime and also in the original manga you see Astro sometimes drawn with his boots, and other times not! :eek:

In both the 1960's anime and in the 2003 anime you'll see close-up how the foot of his red boots "collapses" and turns into a jet . . . BUT in the 1980's anime, "Cathy" from the robot circus gave him the boots (they were hers when she was a girl) - and throughout the series you see him take them off, put objects into them . . . but he also flies with them on (which, of course, DOESN'T make sense!:rolleyes :)

As for his "skin" - he appears to be "shiny" (especially his head) to one degree or another, in every incarnation except for the 2009 movie. I agree with you, that any child with metallic, shiny skin and "hair" would NOT look like a real human to me! Yet they portray him as fooling people all the time. I guess folks aren't too observant in Astro's world!! :lol:

For whatever reason, Dr. Tezuka (and now, his son and Tezuka Productions) have continually made changes to Astro's appearance, age, powers, and story over the past 60 years, and some of these things ARE in conflict with each other, but there really isn't anything we can do about it . . . Tezuka was completely comfortable with retooling Astro as he saw fit (and when he actually lost the legal right to create more anime using Astro, he plagiarized himself by making an Astro Boy copy named Jetter Mars . . . and that's ANOTHER whole story!! :o hmy::eek :)

But confusing or not . . . it's fun to speculate, and personally, I believe they would give Astro realistic hair, and some kind of soft-to-the-touch covering so he wouldn't be shiny and metal-looking.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Astra4822
Kokoro Robot

:eek: .... so right about the confusion in the end! Had to read that twice, but very good points, both of you were actually right on with my thoughts. I did see a episode (forgot which version) where Astro had his boots off and everything, but many people are always saying how he cant take them off! :shifty:
[sigpic][/sigpic] He looks so cute when wanting to show his unique paper airplane!!! :wub:
Astro: Look at my paper airplane, Orrin! :D
Orrin: Excellent!
Tenma: WHAT DID U DO TO MY BOOKS?!?! :mad: *sees plane* Ooooooh what a nice airplane! :lol:

Nora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Nora » 11 years ago

You know I thought the same thing, but I figure it must look real to the naked eye since he passed for a human for a bit with the kids and Hamegg right? So it must feel right...just geled :D
I'm a Literary Artist...not the Doctor!

http://shadowedinnocents.deviantart.com/

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 11 years ago

I think in the movie he may have fake actual hear, but in the anime it is plastic.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Astra4822
Kokoro Robot

Those were my thoughts as well! Though if he has fake hair, it cant come out of its "gel state"? Does it always stay the way it is gelled up, or maybe Tenma made it so that it can get messed up like a humans since Astro is supposed to be based on a human and BELIEVE hes a human? :ninja:
[sigpic][/sigpic] He looks so cute when wanting to show his unique paper airplane!!! :wub:

Astro: Look at my paper airplane, Orrin! :D

Orrin: Excellent!

Tenma: WHAT DID U DO TO MY BOOKS?!?! :mad: *sees plane* Ooooooh what a nice airplane! :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”