Newbie Reccomendation

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Newbie Reccomendation

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

One of the nice things about a character like Astroi Boy is that there are no bounds. What I mean is that the character has been around for so long, that there have been many incarnations of the story, penned by Tezuka or someone else. Some of them are bright and op[timistic, some of them are dark yet cynical, and some are in between. Depending on our interests, we can find our favorite version among these different incarnations. And the best part? We get to express our favorites with other fans in peace, and harmony! (corney, I know. But, it's true.)

But what about the people who are just getting into the character? Surely they need help finding their favorite incarnation as well. I know we've talked before about Astro's lack of popularity over here. But considering the many people we get signing up here, I think it's safe to say that Astro (and Tezuka in general) still has a place in our modern society. That being said, we're still a small community. And as a result, it's only fair we reccomend whatever we can to those interested. That's what I'd like to focus on today.

What version of Astro Boy would you reccomend to someone?

Personally for me, I'd reccomend the movie first. I know that's a bit surprising, especially given how vocal I've been about my mixed opinion of that film. But hear me out; I think it's important for a new commer to see all they can afford. And yes, that includes the less successful parts of the franchise.

Also, I think if one watches the movie first, they probably won't end up hating it. Whereas if you're already familiar with Astro mythos (which I was at the time), you already know how you feel. And most likely, you'll have one of three reactions;

a. you love it
b. you feel mixed about it
c. you vietmenly despise it

Aftre that, I would reccomend them the 2003 series, and then tell them to work their way down. I say this not just because I personally love the 2003 series, but for two other reasons.

1. It's the easiest version to find via legal streaming.

2. Depending on their interests, a lot of modern otaku tend to either ignore, or just have a hard time getting into old school anime. Showing them the more modern stuff first gives them a chance to discover what they've been missing, and to seek out more.

What version of Astro Boy would you reccomend?

Tobiofan
Metro City Citizen

Postby Tobiofan » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:One of the nice things about a character like Astroi Boy is that there are no bounds. What I mean is that the character has been around for so long, that there have been many incarnations of the story, penned by Tezuka or someone else. Some of them are bright and op[timistic, some of them are dark yet cynical, and some are in between. Depending on our interests, we can find our favorite version among these different incarnations. And the best part? We get to express our favorites with other fans in peace, and harmony! (corney, I know. But, it's true.)

But what about the people who are just getting into the character? Surely they need help finding their favorite incarnation as well. I know we've talked before about Astro's lack of popularity over here. But considering the many people we get signing up here, I think it's safe to say that Astro (and Tezuka in general) still has a place in our modern society. That being said, we're still a small community. And as a result, it's only fair we reccomend whatever we can to those interested. That's what I'd like to focus on today.

What version of Astro Boy would you reccomend to someone?

Personally for me, I'd reccomend the movie first. I know that's a bit surprising, especially given how vocal I've been about my mixed opinion of that film. But hear me out; I think it's important for a new commer to see all they can afford. And yes, that includes the less successful parts of the franchise.

Also, I think if one watches the movie first, they probably won't end up hating it. Whereas if you're already familiar with Astro mythos (which I was at the time), you already know how you feel. And most likely, you'll have one of three reactions;

a. you love it
b. you feel mixed about it
c. you vietmenly despise it

Aftre that, I would reccomend them the 2003 series, and then tell them to work their way down. I say this not just because I personally love the 2003 series, but for two other reasons.

1. It's the easiest version to find via legal streaming.

2. Depending on their interests, a lot of modern otaku tend to either ignore, or just have a hard time getting into old school anime. Showing them the more modern stuff first gives them a chance to discover what they've been missing, and to seek out more.

What version of Astro Boy would you reccomend?

I'd recommend it in that order as well. Not only for the reasons you mentioned, but also because thats the order i went in.
My Deviant Art page
Astro Boy: (started April 30, 2012)
1960's: 104/104 + 193
1980's: 52/52 (will rewatch when english subs available)
2003: 50/50 (yay all Astro Boy seasons finished!)
Detective Conan: 656/656+ (all caught up! :D ) (started Jan 1, 2012)

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

I'd recommend the manga first. Each of the anime adaptations have their own issues that someone could hate them for. Even the excellent 80's version has animation that's a bit too stiff most of the time and would make modern anime fans cringe. The manga though is a universal masterpiece that can only be disliked due to bad taste.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

I think I agree with F-Man. It's Astro's essence, and there is less chance of a fan being turned off by the animation or some of the choices that were made in the 2003 series or the movie which I find questionable.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

I would recommend the 2003 anime since it's the most recent of the three anime, is well made, and like Prettywitchiusaka said, is the easiest to find via legal streaming. My second recommendation would be the manga since it is an easy read and is not hard to enjoy. Plus, you could really jump in anywhere and not wonder what's going on, like with many manga on the market nowadays. I would recommend the first volume though, so they at least know the back-story of how Atom came to be.

The 1980s anime would be my second recommendation since it has a proper DVD release with both English and Japanese language tracks.

I can't vouch for the movie or the 1960s anime since I have not watched the former and seen very little of the latter.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

That's very true actually, the manga isn't really bogged down in continutiy, so it would be very easy for a new reader to get invested in.

My only problem with reccomending the manga first is that it's hard to find. After all, the manga is slowly going out of print, and it's nowhere to be found online (even via legal streaming). But I guess people's best bets would be to search for spare or used copies on places like Amazon, Ebay, and Half.com.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

Perhaps eventually electronic versions of the manga could be sold? I think Dark Horse has started to do that for other series. Perhaps we should ask them or keep an eye on it. It would be a little bit like what Viki provides now.

I could add one more thing: with perhaps a little montage from the first 45 episodes or so, and including the Tenma arc of the last episodes, the 2003 series might be a good introduction.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:Perhaps eventually electronic versions of the manga could be sold? I think Dark Horse has started to do that for other series. Perhaps we should ask them or keep an eye on it. It would be a little bit like what Viki provides now.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tezuka-osamu-magazine-club/id434584307?mt=8

I wish I had an iPad just for this. Only $10 for a month of Tezuka? That's long enough to read the entire Astro Boy manga. Too bad I already own almost every translated Tezuka.

About streaming, I thought Crackle's Astro Boy streams were just for Canada now? Or did they change it?

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

I don't know. I actually live in Canada, so even if Crackle only streamed Astro Boy here, it wouldn't really affect me.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 11 years ago

I'd recommend the movie for first timers as well. Especially children.
For adults, I'm with F-Man. Though I already knew of the character before reading the manga, the manga was my first real introduction to him, his world, and the artist behind it all

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”