Why you hated the Astro Boy Movie?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 11 years ago

I did not hate the movie but imo the movie didn't do justice and didn't took a chance to make a great story. Instead of felt like a terrible cheezy astroboy vesion of the movie the Lorax.

First I did liked the side character Cora and the little Tezuka references plus the humor.
Buts thats it.

They made Tobio much older and a lot more different. He was supposed to be 6 or 10 years old not a young teenanger.
Astroboy was not Astroboy but Tobio since his memories and character was still left intact.
The change in Tenma made no freaking sense, Tenma got Tobio back just the way he wanted and suddenly out of no where didn't want him anymore. It felt forced and badly written.

The issue or how robots are treated by humans is not just important its a BIG THEME in both the manga and anime. It...was turned into a joke in the movie where they had a few sillyrobots that were not funny at all to add the theme not to mention the topic was hardly an issue and near the end of the film it doesn't seem people changed their mind much about robots at all.

While Stone was funny as a bad guy he didn't ad any drama to the plot or was not that interesting. The creators could have gone with any evil robot from the manga or anime or a human character that hates Robots which is SOO much options and yet they chose to make their own cheesy bad guy.
Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?
http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/
Visit my DA account!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

HikariTail

Actually, I found Stone to be very remenistent of some of the one shot baddies in Astro Boy. He's stubborn, driven by greed, and really doesn't listen to anyone, including the experts who actually know what they're talking about.

As a result, I don't really find him all that cheesy, but that's just me.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Stone would have worked better as some sort of general, instead of a president. He's militaristicly-minded, ego-centric; he seems like the kind of delusional guy that would at some point, stage a coup, or something (a bit like Lamp in the 2003 series). He's a violent, proud sort of man, convinced that he is right, and refuses to listen to reason.

And I remember another character point about Hamegg: Hamegg wasn't actually evil; he was a kind, jovial sort of fellow, up until the point he attacked Astro. What his deal was, was that he simply did not see robots as anything close to human; he did not think of them as sapient beings, capable of free thought and feelings. He only acted the way he did around robots; he was a good guy towards those he believed to be human. But naturally, this was irrelevant towards the end, given the black-and-white portrayal of such ideas in American children's movies... regrettable, really.
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Yeah, I can see what you're saying Brown Fox. Regardless, I like what was done with Hamegg. so even if he's not the cruel circus master he's known as, I don't think there's anything wrong with reinterpretation o certain characters, so long as they're good.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

I like him, too; it's just that he's written off as evil, when technically, he isn't (even if he was meant to be). I'm just hyper-analyzing crap again, though, so don't mind me. It probably wasn't intentional, anyways.
lolwut

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:I like him, too; it's just that he's written off as evil, when technically, he isn't (even if he was meant to be). I'm just hyper-analyzing crap again, though, so don't mind me. It probably wasn't intentional, anyways.

That's okay, I'm the same way.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

Now that I read the last few posts about Stone being stubborn & ignoring the experts' advice, he reminds me of Duke Red's character in the Garon story. He, & the guy in the MONSTER MACHINE story are just 2 scientists whose curiosity was stronger than their caution. Oh, & likewise, the guy in the ROBOT BRON X story. "

Hmmm; I have found alien technology, I will assume it is safe to use, what could possibly go wrong?" :lol:

So, Stone, assuming greater power was all that made the difference between the Red & what ever color the other core was, likewise disregarded caution.

Toshio
Banned

Postby Toshio » 11 years ago

Stone was not even necessary for such a plot, he ended acting like either Duke Red or the scientist who wanted to use Garon in the 1983 series.
Also, it felt ridiculous that keept obsessed with that technology after a human boy was desintegrated by his machines.
It felt completely heartless.
Also, I don't like the idea of Dr. Tenma trying to recreate Tobio after that tragedy occurred.
Also, it seemed stupid saying that "Tobio robot" was not human enough.
It's his own fault to put a lot of non human specs in the robot like arm cannons, jets, butt machine guns and a area of his chest which can be open any time.
Being a robot version of his son, it's not quite possible to make him too alike.
I think the original story much better and have much more emotion than that half assed movie.
Last edited by Toshio on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

"jeffbert" wrote:Now that I read the last few posts about Stone being stubborn & ignoring the experts' advice, he reminds me of Duke Red's character in the Garon story. He, & the guy in the MONSTER MACHINE story are just 2 scientists whose curiosity was stronger than their caution. Oh, & likewise, the guy in the ROBOT BRON X story. "

Hmmm; I have found alien technology, I will assume it is safe to use, what could possibly go wrong?" :lol:

So, Stone, assuming greater power was all that made the difference between the Red & what ever color the other core was, likewise disregarded caution.

It's funny, I was sort of reminded of that story when I was typing up my viewpoint on Stone.

Hikari Tail
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Hikari Tail » 11 years ago

"Prettywitchiusaka" wrote:HikariTail

Actually, I found Stone to be very remenistent of some of the one shot baddies in Astro Boy. He's stubborn, driven by greed, and really doesn't listen to anyone, including the experts who actually know what they're talking about.

As a result, I don't really find him all that cheesy, but that's just me.

When reading Astroboy the old manga's all of the bad guys are indeed driven by green and are stubborn but they were really really evil.

Stone was just...a saturday morning bad guy,,

Like art? like water coloring? like pointless rants ?

http://hikaritail.deviantart.com/

Visit my DA account!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”