140, The King and Atom

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

140, The King and Atom

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

I do not know if this episode has anything in common with THE KING & I, as I have never seen that film.

The ruler of an Island nation visits the Ministry of Science, & begins to abuse Ochanomizu's nose, though his purpose is other than that.

It appear that certain species that should not live in the tropics are there anyway.

after the sea plane came to rest on the ocean, everyone leaped into the canoe, including the King.

:p

Frames for animated GIF available.

:hyo:

:lol:

:p

So, somebody made a wind-up bird that went after Higeoyaji's forehead!?
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I have the frames need for an animated GIF of the ape rocking Higeoyaji to sleep. Just PM me with your request & email addy. :p

This has got to hurt. GIF frames available. :p

:hyo:

Here is the rare image of B&W Atom using arm jets.

It appears that the King needed $, so he made a deal with the military, which somehow went bad. He now rethinks how to solve his money problems.

So, everything worked out--

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

Hi, Jeffbert! No the plot of this episode has no similarities to "The King and I"!

You haven't seen it?! Well if you like musicals then it is a must see. If you don't like musicals you may still like it as the songs are well known and I am sure you will probably recognize a few from your youth, especially if you went to camp or summer school or after-school activities.

I like how the female looks, (the one with the pony tail) and I can almost imagine the sound of the voice of the late, great Billie Lou Watt as she speaks for the character.

So what does that make now 20 of the 89? For me this is cheaper than hoping for the release of the episodes in subtitled form.
(The likelihood of that happening aside, your posts will do "until the real thing comes along"!)

Thank you again for posting them!

I :heart: :astro: :)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

This is probably one episode that would have never made it past the censors over at NBC, too politically incorrect. Jeffbert, I don't know what the subject matter of your pending book will be, but it would be great to have a plot outline and frame shots for these episodes in a book.

BTW someone in another thread mentioned that the opening sequence for the '63 series was different in the last three seasons but NBC only used the opening from the first. I don't think that was just a matter of money, the second though fourth season opening would have identified it as taking place in Japan (Bullet train, Mt. Fuji), the first season opening didn't have that problem. NBC wanted the show to look at home in the US 50 years into the future.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Without checking, I think there were actually three versions of the opening.

kscharf: please explain why you think this is Politically incorrect.

ASTROBUDDY: the very thought of watching a musical is boring me. :p Though I know that they are far from boring, I just cannot bring myself to sit through the musical parts, unless Shirley Temple or some other cute kid is in them. :p irate: I fast forward through such scenes when watching A & C meet the mummy, etc. The only film with Fred Astaire in it that I have watched is ON THE BEACH, though I have seen scenes in FGuy.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

"jeffbert" wrote:kscharf: please explain why you think this is Politically incorrect.

Just the way some of the 'natives' were represented. I know that the same thing was done in old Betty Boop cartoons, but by the 1960's we were getting more sensitive to it. Tezuka wasn't trying to be racist of course as was explained in the Dark Horse intro to their reprints of the Manga.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Oh, I should have know you referred to that; but such natives were depicted in earlier episodes that were dubbed, though I am drawing a blank for examples. :blush:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I thought that cute girl in the dress would have turned out to be yet another of Atom's many female admirers :p - but it seems she was connected with another robot!

And Jeffbert, I think you might find the King and I very charming - there ARE a lot of adorable little children in it, and Yul Brenner is a hoot. But no, I wouldn't say this is anywhere near that plot.

Thanks, as always . . . because there is definitely a different "energy" to these episodes. Maybe because the original manga tales had been told. . . and he was either becoming more "playful" with the animation and scripts, or had inspiration from the rest of the world (by then he was known worldwide). I really love seeing these "new" old episode images! :heart:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;206852] kscharf: please explain why you think this is Politically incorrect.
Just the way some of the 'natives' were represented. I know that the same thing was done in old Betty Boop cartoons, but by the 1960's we were getting more sensitive to it. Tezuka wasn't trying to be racist of course as was explained in the Dark Horse intro to their reprints of the Manga.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to disagree. It would be more accurate to say that by the late 1960s into the seventies parents groups may have begun to get sensitive to some stereotypes, but not in the early sixties when "Astro Boy" was originally under production.

There was a show, "The Dick Tracy Show" which wasn't really about Dick Tracy as it was about his fellow officers with stereotype names and characters like: "Joe Jitsu, an Asian detective and "Go Go Gomez", a Mexican detective. This show was very popular in the sixties.

What the censors were more concerned with was depictions of sexuality and extreme and what appear to be cruel depictions of violence.

Two examples are: In the episode 'The Mysterious Cosmic Rays" scenes of nude paintings in the lair of the villain had to be removed or covered up.

And there is of course the rejection of "The Hot Dog Soldiers" episode as too cruel for broadcast in the US because so many children have pets and it was considered that the episode might prove too upsetting to children; especially the younger ones.

Point being that the depiction of the natives in this episode would most likely not be a problem in choosing this episode for dubbing.

I :heart: :astro: :)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

OMG I forgot about the "Dick Tracy" tv show. What a stinker that was!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”