120 TIME HUNTER

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

120 TIME HUNTER

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

The synopsis from the Tezuka webpage says this is a remake of #11 [(18)], Time Machine, but in my opinion, it is more of an act of desperation. I think they were shorthanded of animators that week of May 22, 1965, when this was broadcast, & they cobbled together a story using not just cels from earlier episodes, but entire clips from them.

FROM MY NOTES:
Shares scenes with #11 (18), Time Machine & #69, Rebellion of the Dinosaur People (59, Dinosaur Dilemma)
Wrecks Higeoyaji’s house
Uses frames from #29, Memorable Day (Memory Day)

From #11:

Not merely influenced by Welles' Time Machine, but using imagery straight out of it, as in these next two frames:

Back to #68. For those who know little of the B&W series, but are familiar with the 2003 series, the following part was used as the basis for the Franken episode:

Compare “Kazuske-kun” or, perhaps “Karusuke-kun” (“Disko Teck” :lol :) to Fujimoto Taku (Jack Fuller) on the 2003 Franken episode. Both were separated from the group & captured by the marauders.

:tezuka: appears in a frame from this clip of the crowd fleeing, but I do not have it in the frames from this episode. :cry:

Compare Hanako-Sensei (“Miss Ann Thrope” :p ) with Midori-Sensei (sorry, I have no data on her dubbed name). Hanako-Sensei seems shaped more like a mother, while Midori is more like a big sister.

BTW, unlike more than a few, perhaps most characters given pun names by Ladd & co., Miss Ann Thrope does not live up to her name. :astro:

BTW, :tezuka: does appear as both a boy & a man in #69. :p
Last edited by jeffbert on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:lol: :p

I think this was one of only a few clips actually originating in this episode. :hyo:

:heart:

Returning from the trip to the past, we find Higeoyaji's home is still a shambles (as was Uran's flower bed in the 1980s time travel episode).

And, another idea that was reused in the 2003! :p

:D

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

this episode reminds me of an episode in the 2003 series it's sad I haven't seen the 60s series but I want too
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

This is because it is essentially the same story, but with certain details changed, racoonangel.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

This image, and the sequence before it remind me of "Cecil the seasick sea serpent"
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I can't help but face-palm at the image of the dinosaur with breasts, even if they're implied.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

:lol: I vaguely remember that series, Tetsuwan Penguin.

:mad: I thought I had a translation of the marquee, but -- hmm, I think it was among the deleted scenes on the TRSI boxed set extras.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”