133, Revenge After Ten Years

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

133, Revenge After Ten Years

Postby jeffbert » 11 years ago

This episode involves an otherwise innocent robot, who was programmed as a SLEEPER AGENT, & whose mission was to liberate criminals from a prison, somewhat similar to Alcatraz.

Note the presence of the Light bulb robot & the one in foreground who is facing away; I believe Fred Ladd dubbed her Melody.

Poor little Riboryu, he apparently failed to work out the algebra problem; but his problems are just starting!

The siblings try to console him.

Uran is mocking Higeoyaji-sensei; mimicking his mustache with hand gestures.

:p Note the inverted tower in the background; the robot school as 1st depicted in #57, Robot School (37, Astroboy goes to School).

Now the scene shifts to Riboryu's home.

The Siblings come to call.

Obāsan (who made her debut in 093, Cobalt).

Riboryu awakens abruptly. Note the glint in his eye!

Since when did he have antennea?

Likewise whence come the :astro: -style briefs? :hyo:

Elsewhere, at the Rock, the scene is appropriately scary:

Another thing, whose origin is not specified, this cool triangular vessel.

Anyone remember these two? I have been unable to find their names for this episode, but the bearded one is known among the English speakers as 'Rasburton' & was Cleopatra's creator in episodes #44 & 45 (in both J & E sequences); while the bald one 1st appeared as Mephisto (Patch) in #18, Gadem (15, Gangor the Monster), but most recently appeared in #129 Atom vs Atom (no dubbed version). BTW, the bearded guy's name is Baribari, which I believe means crunching or tearing.

As the group discusses the jail break, the history of the escapees comes up:

As far as I can tell, their group had been convicted of some very serious crimes, & after conviction, Baribari shook his fist & said, "whatever happened to my Transylvania Twist?" :lol: --No, he vowed revenge!

Returning to the present, this is the only frame I have that has mama fully on camera:

Always put your coffee down before you begin gesturing!

BTW, I never could find a name for the dopey little crook, so, I call him Dopey. No known name for the hooked-nose crook, either.

Scene we never expected to see:
:lol:

After the two henchmen are defeated, poor little Riboryu is treated like a common criminal:

Though he insists he knows nothing of helping the crooks escape, nobody takes him seriously.

Who could blame him for running away? He is just as mystified as they are, as to why he helped the bad guys escape. :confused: Also, note that the debris from the hole defy physics, they should be pushed outward, through the hole. :p
Last edited by jeffbert on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

The mid-air fight begins:

On the space station, Baribari & Mephisto are at work, preparing for vengeance:

Yes, I do have enough frames for an animated GIF! just PM me with your email address!

Now, Mephisto turns on Baribari, & pistol whips him.

:heart: Awww! Three little heroes!

Now it become a bit weird; this large machine is Riboryu's mama!

I find this really out of character for Baribari!

Poor Riboryu, his mother just exploded right bore his eyes! :cry:

:heart: I wonder if Riboryu is one of those robots designed to help the elderly? Though, admittedly, Obāsan seems far from feeble.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

COBY IS FLYING WITH REAL ASTRO-JETS!!!! YAAAY!!! :heart:

I'm wondering if there's some reason why Riboryu so closely resembles Atom and Cobalt (even flies with leg jets). :confused:

Then I was surprised to see A and C tied up - would have thought ONE of them could have quickly grabbed Dopey and his cohort . . .

I do love seeing all the siblings together. And maybe someday, if they ever sub these, we'll get a clearer idea of how Tezuka had them play off of each other (and that might make it more obvious why he decided to change A's brother from a "good" robot to a "less than perfect" bot.:cool :)

THANKS JEFFBERT - JUST LOVE SEEING THESE!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Another rare episode from the '60s series where Astro is not 'naked' all the time. Cobalt too! Also Cobalt was flying, I though he didn't have jets. Riboryu must have been built with stolen plans for Astro, he's too much like him (maybe not 100,000HP but....). I think two of the criminals were the same as ones from "Cross Island".

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

It's a cutie pie!
I'm on Twitter.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I think Kobalto was wearing strap-on leg jets; sorry I failed to notice which. :p Anyway, Kobalto wore them in some other episode.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 11 years ago

Thanks are in order again to Jeffbert! It is great to see another one of the "89"!

#133 (I prefer Schodt's title of "Revenge on the Tenth Year"!) I believe I have seen the "dopey" little guy in "The Wonderful Christmas Present" (Am. Ep.# 91)

Yes, Jetto did fly with small jets strapped to his legs like backwards spurs and I believe it was in Am. Ep.# 90--"A Deep. Deep Secret" (If I'm wrong, some one please correct me.) (But apparently in this episode (#133), he has received an upgrade!)

Any way, arigato gozaimasu, Jeffberto-san!

I :heart: :astro: :)
Last edited by ASTROBUDDY on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

You are welcome, ASTROBUDDY, & all others also. I have just made all new captures for disc 27, & am now doing #24. So, I will soon upload new threads for more than a few episodes.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

Cobalt doesn't seem to be wearing his strap-on/magnetic jets this time around... hmm...

I love Atom and Uran's "D'OH!" faces in that one panel. And Riboryu and Cobalt are all like "Crap!" :D

Y'know, I don't think Cobalt was ever meant to be "perfect". Even from his very conception he was fairly badly flawed. He's as smart as his brother (even if he struggles a little bit in this department), he's as strong as his brother, and he can even home in on his location. But he's clumsy, and isn't very good with his hands. Complicated and overly detailed tasks (i.e. dissassembling an alarm clock) go right over his head, and quickly frustrate him. But he's still a good robot all-around.

Also, does anyone else think Cobalt has kind of a derp-face? :3
lolwut

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I think Cobalt suffers from the same flaws as Hymie (Get Smart), Yoyo (Holmes & Yoyo), & Andy (the robot on the short lived Quark show). They all tend to interpret figures of speech literally; though with Kobalto, it is a bit more of a stretch to say this, because of the language difference. Though they all have their own characteristics, I think this one is common.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”