111 Robot Polymer

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

111 Robot Polymer

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

Here is another one that Fred Ladd rejected.

Kawaii! :heart: :p

Atom awakens to a noise outside-

But the source soon comes inside.
This is Polymer, & he is out to make a name for himself, by defeating :astro: .

They go outside to fight:

When Polymer vibrates, he can pass through solids, & they also pass through him.

I recall an episode of the SUPERMAN series, in which a crook was hiding inside an impervious cube waiting for the statute of limitations to expire, so he could go free. But a scientist convinced Superman that he, using the vibration technique, could penetrate the cube, & thus determine if the crook was indeed inside. :p They then messed with the clocks so the guy used his acid to open the side & emerge some 5 to 30 minutes before the expiration of the statute of limitations. :p

Polymer makes a withdrawal, & returns home:

At center is Professor Jura, right is his assistant Yowai, & at left, the professor's daughter, Kasumi. If you think she is familiar, she was Yuriko (Maria) in 85, Demented Beltway (76, Mad Beltway).

Cobalt is not doing the TWIST, he is showing how Polymer vibrates.

This is the lab assistant, whose name as far as I can tell is 'Yowai', which means 'FEEBLE.' :p

Professor Jura thinks he can divert suspicion from Polymer by copying Yowai's mind into Polymer, thus making the robot cowardly.

For those who have seen the deleted scenes in the TRSI boxed set, you may recognize Kasumi's ahem, you know-- :p

"That's the guy who attacked us!"

Jura assures Ochanomizu & co. that his robot simply could not be the one they seek, for he is a coward.

Much later, Jura wants to destroy Polymer, but his daughter intervenes.

Polymer is ashamed of his cowardice, so he becomes tough.

Now Kasumi shields papa from Polymer.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Though Kasumi attempts to reason with him, Polymer goes on a rampage, & causes trouble all over the city.
Atom drops Cobalt, who acts as bait, & pursues Polymer.

I have enough frames to make an animated GIF of Cobalt slapping his own tush, and taunting Polymer. I can only guess at his dialogue, though. :lol:

I include this one only because of the flat screen wafer thin TV.

Working together, Atom & Cobalt lure Polymer to a haunted house.

"If you're so brave, I dare you to go in that haunted house!"

"What is this!?"

I assume that these Frankenstein-bolts hold Polymer's brain or something like it.

"'Wimp' am I? check out this muscle!"

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

Oh man, this episode is chock full of goodies!!!

I love that image of Cobalt telling Polymer to "Kiss my grits!" that would be a completely hysterical animated gif. I'd be tempted to swap out Epsilon for that as my avatar!!! :lol:

And hey did you notice another Tezuka "got that right" vision of the future. Two actually - the flat screen large screen TV and also Kasumi's highlighted hair (a half century before Cora's purple locks), so she was the "bootlicious" woman in the out-takes? That was pretty funny.

And why the heck doesn't Ochanomizu stick some jets in poor Cobalt's legs?! It's like Tezuka was afraid to let him be as powerful at Atom, WHY? Ironically his subsequent "brother" (Atlas) was made his equal. I don't think Cobalt has an ego that would ruin Atom's status as the "star." :p And I love to see Atom and Cobalt working together :D

And what's with the "triple nipples" on Polymer? Do they DO anything? Looks like he needs to be plugged in or something. :eek:

Thanks so much Jeffbert, this was a real delight!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

As I said, I have enough screen caps to make an animated GIF of Cobalt saying, "kiss my--".

If you want them, just say so.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 12 years ago

WANT 'EM!! XD
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

check your PM box. If you need cropped versions, I can make them for you.

Solarcat20
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Solarcat20 » 12 years ago

i'm wondering why fred ladd rejected this episode? :confused: it looks like it'll be funny. did it have something to do with cobalt slapping his butt :lol:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I can only guess, based upon FL's criteria for acceptable episodes. But, as I am writing a chapter on that subject, I must defer comment. :p

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

I love this episode so much. And I haven't even seen it yet! XD

I've noticed some differences between Atom's and Cobalt's faces (aside from the immediately obvious). This is what I've noticed: Atom has "bangs" that sort of go down in a perfect "V"; Cobalt's fringe is similar, but rather than having something like a perfectly triangular shape, his just curves smoothly to an acute point- sort of like on Micky Mouse's face, actually. And it doesn't stop there: Atom has little "curls" of a sort that curve upwards, in front of his ears. Cobalt's fringe not only curves smoothly to a point on his forehead; it also curves smoothly downward (almost in a "C" shape) in front of his ears. While he does seem to have little bits of "hair" in front of his ears like his brother (and sister, whose fringe mirrors Atom's), there is no upturn of his fringe in front of his ears. Hooray for hyper-analyzing things! :D
(oh man, I seriously need a life...)

@AprilSeven: FOREVER JEALOUS OF THAT AVATAR. When I first came back several months ago, I'd wondered where you'd gotten it. When I found /this/ wonderful page, I decided to add it to my Wii's favorites, where it now serves as a delightful portal to the forum. :D
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Cobalt also has a larger nose drawn as an upsidedown U.
Wasn't the this episode released after the one that was called double trouble? That would explain why it wasn't part of the us series as the second contact for 52 episodes was fulfilled.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”