Japanese Astro boy 2003 in English Subtitles

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 10 years ago

Thanks for the info, guys. It was one of those things where I was pretty sure, but I never heard it in just the right combination of words to be completely sure it was exactly what I was looking for. And I have seen a lot of series that just don't offer closed-captioning style subtitles.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

I have the complete series now in Japanese, but no subtitles though.
Not all are the greatest of quality but I'm fine with that. :)
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Atomars
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atomars » 10 years ago

"Dante69" wrote:I have the complete series now in Japanese, but no subtitles though.

Good for you :) , I still hope they will release 1080p Blu-ray for this series though.
I will definitely buy it.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"Dante69" wrote:I have the complete series now in Japanese, but no subtitles though.
Late response, but I was actually searching through threads to see if anyone had the complete Japanese (日本語 ;) series. At least we have one.

I plan on getting the 日本語 2003 series as well; although it may be a long while before I can get it and understand it due to my nearly non-existence knowledge of 日本語. Speaking of which, I do have a question:

Let's say that I did know Japanese, did have all of the DVDs and translated all fifty-one episodes available via fansub. However, the fansub extends only to translating the episodes and providing a download for the translation. The episodes are not present with the episodes and anyone that wants to make use of the translation will have to buy the Japanese DVDs. Also under this circumstance, I am not paid by anyone to do this.

Would this be legal to do?

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

If you don't make illegal copies of the actual video available, but only provide the subtitles which could be linked to the video by someone who owns the video, I doubt that would be illegal. It would be sort of like posting your own commentary on the video, a parallel work.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 10 years ago

Scripts as well as any (even fan-made) translation of them are technically illegal to share. Think of it like uploading a novel without permission. It's unfortunate, since I do agree sharing subtitle files to use with DVDs actually promotes sales of the video product.

But then again, it also promotes people to stick them onto illegal video downloads.
I'm on Twitter.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

Well that sucks. I was hoping to work on a translation of that series to share. Given there is no way Tezuka would approve a fan sub for this, that leaves Anime Sols as our only hope for a worthwhile 2003 English translation.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

I feel compelled to suggest that there's not a lot of difference between a fan-sub, and a translation of what is being said on the DVD's (one could read along with the DVD's - or at least read the story and then watch what is happening so as to understand the action).

It's one thing to upload and/or view bootleg videos, and another to purchase Japanese DVDS - and have no way to fully enjoy them. Such is the case with me, as a few months ago I purchased a box set of "The 89" from the 1960s - much to my frustration, I can only guess as to what is being said (and thanks to Jeffbert's story summaries) - but it is a far cry from truly knowing what is happening.

I paid for these dvds, and if someone had fan-subs or a translation I would be elated!! It's not like I had an OPTION to purchase the set with sub-titles and was trying to be "cheap" or steal anything.

Some of this is just too, too "extreme" as to border on ridiculous. (IMHO)
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

And I really can't see Tezuka productions going after a takedown for a post of a fan sub script for the animes so long as the videos didn't end up on YouTube. I can't say the same for Sony however!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 10 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I paid for these dvds, and if someone had fan-subs or a translation I would be elated!! It's not like I had an OPTION to purchase the set with sub-titles and was trying to be "cheap" or steal anything.

Same here, of course. In fact that's what I do with some of my Tezuka DVDs already.
I'm on Twitter.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”