159, Devil and Angel (--, --)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

159, Devil and Angel (--, --)

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

This is another intelligent plant story, but also includes the element of genetic engineering as in #80, Humanoid Bill (71, Mighty Minute) & Bagi. It seems the emphasis is on the folly of scientists creating things, especially sentient beings, with no thought for their welfare, only caring that they can create them. For that matter, Both Atom & the Frankenstein monster fit the category.

This is Botanist Leaf, he has created several new species of plant,

including this one, Zaboa, a carnivorous one.

This is Freru, she & Zaboa are sister plants; literally, Dr. Leaf's daughters.

Freru considers the broken flower a fellow plant, & is rather emotional about it.

Compare Freru to Bill (Minute); both must spend time sealed under a glass cover.

Leaf has invited Atom & Ochanomizu into his home, to show off his creations, but they are observed by Norse Necktall (called Snoopy Scoop in the ELV episodes) because as a reporter, he is a nuisance. He will follow them.

Having had enough of Necktall's questions, Ochanomizu is closing the scene:

:lol:

Norse has just used his flash camera, & Zaboa did not like it! As a carnivorous plant Zaboa has the ability to catch prey using hypnosis.

Upstairs, Leaf is still showing his creations:

Asked to explain how he came to be unconscious in Leaf's basement, NN tells his tale:

To think they say that smoking is bad for our health! Anyway, Zaboa was very upset, & went crashing through the wall, & is out wrecking the city.

I could not find the duck or any of the others whom one would not expect to see in such a gathering, though they did appear in earlier episodes. :cry:

This is one of GRUMPY's few roles as a good guy. Atom calls him 'SHIGUN-DONO.’

Here is a CROWD FLEEING IN TERROR sequence; these are the same people who fled in episode 1, & in many others as members of both sexes, adults & children, though here, & in #19, Atom versus Garon (Cosmic Giant), they are soldiers. Note the sizes of them, & that one carries a purse!

To be continued--

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Continuing:

:p Zaboa shoots laser beams & flies. :lol:

I assume Leaf' dying words were regret for having played God.

These next two images-- :blush:

Freru is obviously leaning on Atom for emotional support, but--

I assume Freru died because she had been out of her glass case for too long.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 10 years ago

Buh, this is kinda sad. The little plant girl is adorable, btw. And animation errors galore, gee whiz...
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

I can just see someone photoshoping Atom's face with a different expression here. Someone with a slightly sick mind. And you know who you are!

BTW this was at least the second time Tezuka had "plant" people in a story.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

EyeOdyssey

Postby EyeOdyssey » 10 years ago

Zaboa looks kind of like Hedorah in a way.
"jeffbert" wrote:

No comment.
Last edited by EyeOdyssey on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
For more, have a stop by The EyeOdyssey Lounge.
http://eyeodyssey.tumblr.com/

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 10 years ago

Thank you for all the wonderful 60's pictures you keep uploading Jeffbert! Sometimes stills can provide even the bigger emotional impact than the actual animation! :) :heart:
"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:I can just see someone photoshoping Atom's face with a different expression here. Someone with a slightly sick mind. And you know who you are!

I really didn't need to read this. And in case you were referring to me by saying "someone with a slightly sick mind", you can rest assured I wasn't ever going to post anything related around your lines. Thanks for completely destroying a harmless and cute frame.

I'm outa here.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

Strange Wings@ I certainly did not have you in mind, and I'm sorry if my reaction to Jeffbert's comment wasn't taken in humor as intended.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

Sorry you took offense, Strange Wings, but even Jeffbert posted a :blush:
-- certainly it was innocent, but certainly it was :blush: too!

And I absolutely wouldn't have thought of YOU as the person to do the Photoshopping! I think I know who was being thought of . . . :whistling: but I won't post the name here, and NO we don't want to see it!! Bring it to TIE 18+ forum, thank you very much! :d evil: :rolleyes: :lol:

Thanks Jeffbert - I actually watched this episode, and it certainly is wacky. I love when Elefun lost his nose! There also seem to be a number of "monsters" with their eyes on their chests like the beasty in this episode. Very bizarre, indeed! :eek:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:cry: I seem to have caused the type of controversy I would never intend. :blush:

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

I noticed those frames when I previewed the episode, and laughed out loud. :lol:

I'm sure it was all in innocence, but that's where censors can actually be helpful. You can be darn sure that in the US that would have been clipped or modified. :rolleyes:

There are LOTS of these goofies, as well as other animation errors. It's fun to spot them. This one is a real classic. :p
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”