WABAC to the Future

Show off all your awesome art, writings and other creations here.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

WABAC to the Future

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

OK, here is yet another crossover story that I'm starting. I guess I'm not happy unless I'm juggling three balls at once! This time a more recent movie is the subject of my Astro-izing. Let's see if anybody spots the Manga story I've mixed in here. (Where is DanNavy?)

WABAC To the Future

One.

My publisher has been bugging me to to get back to writing the autobiography I've promised him for some time, and I feel guilty about not getting the first draft to him by now. Of course I've been a little busy, I mean between working on my acceptance speech for the Nobel prize in physics, and the world coming to an end a few months ago, I've been rather busy.

What, you didn't hear about the world ending? Well, that was actually in an alternate universe, but it almost did happen in the one in which we inhabit. Fortunately I was able to fix that little mistake, it was really my fault in a way as I should have been a more responsible parent, sorry about that.

Well I guess I should start this story at the beginning, rather than at the end, though I promise I'll get back to the bit about how I saved the human race from premature self destruction.

It all started with my former owner, an MIT physics graduate student named I. M. Flipout. This was back in the days of LSD being a hobby for many college students with too much time on their hands. I.M. experimented on himself and my brother and I after rescuing us from the recombinant DNA lab over on the other side of the campus. I'm glad he got us out of there in time, that was just before some of the scientists there created a giant honey bee that looked a bit like Richard Nixon and accidentally let it loose on Cambridge Mass. But that's another story, for another time! Anyway, I.M. named me after his recently deceased grandfather, P.D.Q. Peabody.

I don't know whether I should be mad at I.M. or not, he fed my brother and I large doses of LSD, as well as tripping out quite a bit himself. My poor brother didn't survive the experiment, but the drug had a profound effect on me, increasing my I.Q. by many orders of magnitude. After that I took to following my master to class everyday. I sat besides him absorbing the lectures while he often dozed off.

I was so enthralled by the Physics lectures I attended that started to write a thesis on the subject of space-time interactions. I made the mistake of using I.M.'s computer when he was sleeping. I should have password protected my work, as my master who was having trouble writing a thesis of his own, borrowed mine and submitted it as his. Fortunately the professor realized that I.M.'s paper was totally out of character and correctly deduced the work was plagiarized. The day after he submitted the work he was called into the Dean of Physic's office, and naturally I accompanied him.

“Mr. Flipout, It's clear to me that you didn't write this paper. It's too good to be your work, who did you steal it from?” Professor Habib demanded. I.M. just stood there with a drug induced blank stare on his face, so I answered the question for him.

“Actually Professor Habib, that thesis was mostly my work, I can bring in the original document tomorrow if you'd like to see it.”

The professor looked down at me. “And what would your name be?” he asked.

“You may call me, Mr. Peabody.” I answered.

Well to make a long story short I received my doctorate in physics and I.M. Flipout dropped out of MIT. He disappeared for awhile, and later turned up in the east village selling artwork. I really think he's happier as an artist than as a physicist anyway.
So I stayed on at MIT and was hired by Lincoln Labs. I spent a few years working on a few top secret government projects, and then left to do a bit of inventing on my own. I felt unfulfilled however, and I wanted some companionship. I felt jealous of my peers who had families of their own, and I got the idea that I wanted to become a father. Why not? I thought, if a boy can have a dog, why can't a dog, especially one with an I.Q. of over 200 like myself, have a boy?

I moved to N.Y.C. and bought myself a penthouse apartment with plenty of room for my workshop, and lots of space to raise a growing boy. I visited many orphanages, and I soon met the most precocious child. We bonded instantly, and I knew I had to adopt him. So I petitioned the courts and applied for the right to bring the boy home with me. Did I mention that I also had gotten my jurisprudence degree? I guess that slipped my mind. Anyway, I represented myself and convinced the judge that I would make an excellent father. And so Sherman came to live with me.

I made the boy's education a primary concern of mine. I was really torn between the idea of home schooling him and having him attend public school. In the end I decided that it was important for his social development that he be schooled with children his own age, but I took it upon myself to supplement his education with additional instruction.

Sherman wasn't doing very well in history, so I figured that seeing the past unfold before his very eyes would be a good way to increase his appreciation of the subject, and so I built him his very own time machine. Thinking back on that now, I guess it wasn't the best idea I'd ever had. Mind you the WABAC machine was one of my greatest achievements, and I still thing that it will go down as one of the greatest achievements that mankind (or at least dogkind) has ever conceived. However allowing a nine year old child to man the controls of such a device was something that I should have put a little more thought to.

I did of course instruct Sherman on the responsibilities of operating a time machine. I warned him that going backwards in time could lead to dire consequences if he wasn't careful. Not that I was worried about him ever committing a homicide, but I did point out the problem of murdering his grandfather and causing a temporal feedback loop that could dissolve the universe. I did of course accompany him on every trip that we made back in time to visit all of the events that he was studying in school. I was careful to point out the important happenings that we witnessed, and allowed him to carefully interact with some of history's most famous people. I'm sure that the piano lessons he got from Beethoven, and the art lessons from Picasso will enrich his personality. The science that he learned firsthand from Da Vinci and Newton will certainly help him when he gets to High School.

“Gee Mr. Peabody,” Sherman asked, “Is it safer to go forward in time than backwards?”

“I never thought of that.” I told him. “But yes, I don't think you can muck up the future since it hasn't actually happened yet. Any interaction that you might have with future people could be undone when you later returned, however you'd have to be careful not to bump into your future self.”

“So I could possibly take the WABAC on a spin into the future by myself without destroying the universe?” he asked.

“I guess so, Sherman.” I said. I was kinda busy at the time, and I was only half aware of that conversation. Had I been more attentive I would not have answered the boy in that fashion. The consequences of that conversation would soon cause me quite a problem, remember my mentioning of the world ending earlier?

Sherman and I were watching the news on TV a few months ago, just a few days before the world ended (and then didn't thanks to me). A reporter for CNN news had broken a story about a raid made by U.S. Marine secret forces on a North Korean base where a huge secret stockpile of nuclear weapons were about to be deployed in an attack on US military interests in Japan, China and Russia. If their plans had succeeded the Koreans would have sparked the beginnings of a third world war. We were lucky that a Vietnamese born CIA agent named Kim Young Lee had been able to infiltrate the ranks of the Korean nuclear forces and blow the whistle in time for our military to mount a counter strike.

“You see Sherman,” I said, “how dangerous the proliferation of nuclear arms is. This incident was potentially more dangerous that the Cuban missile crisis was, and once again the world lucked out only because the right man was in the right place at the right time.”

Following the news we watched a PBS special on robots. It was a fascinating program that captured Sherman's imagination. Most of the work depicted was being done in Japan, and the CEO of one of the companies the TV crew visited predicted that in less than twenty years they would be building super intelligent robots that would be indistinguishable from people.

“Wow!” Sherman said, “I can't wait to see that!”

Then I made the mistake in saying, “You don't have to, we have a time machine!”

Two days later I was working in my lab when the WABAC machine re-materialized from elsewhen in time. Just as Sherman stepped out of the machine and cried out, “Hey Mr. Peabody, you'll never guess who I made friends with in Japan!”, the air raid sirens began to wail. The classical music station I had been listening to broke into their broadcast of Rachmaninoff's second symphony with the klaxon of the the emergency broadcast system. I put two and two together and quickly grabbed Sherman and jumped into the WABAC machine. With nuclear bombs exploding around us I quickly activated the WABAC's status field, safely freezing us in time.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!” I yelled at Sherman.

The boy's face was frozen with fear. “Nothing! I just went about a dozen years forward in time to Japan to visit with the robots!” he cried. “I didn't kill anybody!”

BTW, the bit about I.M. Flipout and the giant honeybee that looks like Tricky Dick came from a comic strip someone published many years ago at a former employer of mine (DIgital Equipment Corp.) entitled "Digital Dog and the DNA monster that ate Cambridge Mass." If I every find the copy I have stashed away I'll scan it and post it up on my website.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

That sounds... kinda weird. :T
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:That sounds... kinda weird. :T

Guess you didn't catch the Peabody and Sherman movie. That segment on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show was my favorite as a kid.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

My home page

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Oh no, I saw that. :P I was talking about the comic you said a dude drew with Bee-Richard Nixon.
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Yeah, that was right outta the 70s. I gotta find that thing.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Chapter 2

WABAC To the Future

Two.

I had described the WABAC as a 'time machine', though that isn't totally correct. I had intended to build a device that could travel though time, however the way the universe is built it isn't quite that simple. Space-Time is composed of five dimensions, four of which are obvious to physicists and cosmologists. Einstein, Hawking, and a few others have described the equations that govern the relationship between matter, gravity, and energy. The universe is both infinite and finite. It has no bounds, yet it does have limits. The WABAC machine actually digs a wormhole though the fifth dimension to connect two points in space-time, and then it jumps into the resulting tunnel to almost instantaneously pop out on the other side.

I had the physics of the device fairly well designed in my head, but I couldn't come up with the means to power it. I did have a suitable energy source, but no engine to work against the space-time continuum, I needed a platform to stand on and a means of giving it a 'shove'. It was during a vacation trip to London that I was given a strange blueprint for a device that would do exactly what wanted. I was in a seedy pub somewheres near the rail station and I found myself pulled into a high stakes poker game between a group of well dressed gentlemen. One of them, dressed in a very brightly colored suit decorated with a pattern of question marks, put up the engineering documents as his grubstake to keep himself in the game. What he didn't know was that I was one card away from a royal flush, and he was bluffing his ass off. My luck held, and I won the pot, including the blueprints that I thought were worthless at the time. But I'm rambling ….

Anyway, besides being a travel device, the WABAC is a recording machine as well. Its virtually unlimited computer memory records every detail of its surroundings wherever and whenever it is. The machine can project a wormhole just wide enough to peek though without leaving its current location, so I can examine history without going back physically to the past if I so desire. Of course actually being there is much more rewarding than spying form a distance, but sometimes discretion has its virtues.

So there we were, Sherman an myself, trapped in a bubble of space-time, isolated from the chaos swirling about us. “How can I have destroyed the present by going into the future?” Sherman wailed.

“Are you sure you didn't go backwards in time at all?” I asked.

“Positive, why don't you look at the travel logs?” Sherman insisted.

“Good idea!” I replied. Since the WABAC keeps an accurate record of its travels I could easily reconstruct exactly what Sherman had done. I could also recall the world events leading up to the disaster since the WABAC is constantly observing and recording everything. Then by using the wormhole telescope to look back from our current position in the continuum, I could theoretically determine what what changed, just as Mr. Spock had done on the Star Trek “City on the Edge of Forever” episode.

It took me only a few minutes to program the WABAC's data base retrial system and I quickly obtained the information we were looking for.

“See, that's where I was.” Sherman replied, pointing to a futuristic looking complex of buildings. Though the signs were all written in Japanese Kanji, I was able to read them, “Institute of Science Complex”, I noted.

“Yeah, they had lots of robots there.” Sherman bragged. “I spend almost an entire day in the company of one who was a boy about my age.”

I used the scan wheel on the WABAC's video processor to quickly scan though many hours of video until I came up with an image of Sherman and a boy about his size touring though the city. The boy was a robot wearing only a pair of red boots and a pair of dark briefs topped with a wide green band. He had brown eyes and dark hair with two large pointy cowlicks at the back of his head.

“That's him!” Sherman said. “His name was Atom, and he flew me all around the city.”

“You didn't do anything that could have caused a paradox?” I asked.

“How, we didn't go backwards in time or anything?” Sherman said.

“Did anything unusual happen?” I asked.

“Well there was a report of a strange UFO appearing over the harbor. Atom wanted to go investigate, but as there were other robots heading towards the scene he elected to stay with me.” Sherman replied.

“So you prevented him from investigating a UFO?” I asked.

“I guess so, is that important?” Sherman asked.

“I don't know, but for now that's all we have to go on.” I replied. “Now let's see what, if anything, has changed in the time frame from a few days ago.”

I ran a data scan for anything leading up to the nuclear attack on the city. The news report we had seen detailing the raid on the North Korean nuclear stockpile did not show up in a new wormhole scan I made. Neither did any mention of a Kim Young Lee. I then ran a side by side comparison check for data I'd gathered on the Vietnam area during a time travel visit Sherman and I had made for a history report he did on the Southeast Asia conflict. Sure enough, the WABAC did have a record of a Ms. Lee escaping from a village in suspected Vietcong territory, and making her way to the US where she grew up in San Francisco. I ran a new scan and found no record of her, the village she came from had been totally destroyed in a bombing raid, and there were no survivors. Apparently this was the divergence between the time lines.

Previously the village where the future CIA spy was born had been spared from a misguided attack by the USAF when a strange 'Angel of Death' had appeared in the skies over Vietnam destroying the attack force before they could reach the village. In the new time frame, the bombing mission was never diverted and Kim Young Lee died in the attack, she was not available to spy on the North Koreans, and the CIA never had advance warning of the nuclear danger. The 'Angel of Death' was absent.

I crossed my fingers and did yet another data scan. At one time the WABAC had made a visit to the Area 51 air force base at Groom Lake Nevada. Sherman and I had debunked the myth of Alien UFOs hiding on the base, though we barely got away with our visit. Hopefully the WABAC might have stolen some information from the USAF computers dealing with the Vietnam area. In fact, I lucked out. Buried in the petabytes of data on the WABAC hard drives was a report by the flight crew from the lead B52 on the bombing raid over Kim Young Lee's village. They gave a rather detailed description of the 'Angel of Death' that had destroyed their squadron. It was a nine year old boy in red boots.

Did I make any of you Whovians happy?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

FelicityRedbarrow
Metro City Citizen

Postby FelicityRedbarrow » 9 years ago

You said it was a brightly colored suit, so I immediately thought of the Sixth Doctor, but then you mentioned a pattern of question marks. Was it the Seventh Doctor?

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

I think in my mind I conjured up an image combining the aspects of the 5th, 6th and 7th doctors. I think the one who I could image loosing at poker though would be Sylvester McCoy. Come to think of it, I did say there were "several well dressed men" in the poker game, so it COULD have been all THREE of the doctors! (This HAS happened before!)

OH BTW, anybody realize by now which Manga story I've based this on? It's NOT one that was done in any Anime story arc.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Yeah, I noticed. Not one of my favorites, tbh, not the least because of how that particular part ends...
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Chapter 2 (continued)

“So how do you change the past by going into the future?” I asked Sherman. “Simple, you prevent someone from the future from going back into the past to change it!” I added, answering my own question.

“I don't get it.” Sherman said.

“Somehow your robot friend Atom was supposed to go back in time and prevent the destruction of a village in Vietnam.” I explained. “You apparently arrived in the future at a point in time such that you prevented Atom from being transported to 1969 where he became the 'Angel of Vietnam' that those pilots called the 'Angel of Death'. Go read the descriptions of the events from the pilots point of view. Those documents were never made public, and for a good reason!”

Sherman sat at the WABAC computer screen and read the reports that I had managed to uncover from among the vast storehouse of data collected by my invention during its many journeys though space-time. “That's Atom!” he sobbed, “You're right! Now what do we do?”

“Indeed.” I thought out loud. “By preventing him from going into the past you changed it at several key points. This creates a time paradox, but not a circular one, for since Atom never went into the past, the world ends now and Atom will never exist to even go into the past.”

“It sounds like we can't fix this,” Sherman sighed, “For now there is no future to go into where Atom exists so we CAN send him into the past!”

“Maybe not.” I said. “If the time line had been irreparably damaged one would expect that our knowledge of what was would have evaporated. Since we clearly do remember the events of our own time line, then it must logically still exist. Right now we are floating in a status field within the 5th dimension, a region that exists between the planes of the four dimensions of space-time. It is though this 5th dimension that the WABAC projects a worm hole to travel between points of existence in the space-time continuum. I believe that there are alternate planes of existence, parallel universes in which different realities co-exist. By changing the past you've merely jumped us from one plane of existence to another. Perhaps the WABAC can find the plane of existence where you prevented Atom from time traveling. Then we'd have a chance of repairing the damage.”

“Do you really think so?” Sherman said hopefully.

“Logically, it makes sense.” I replied. “Now, I'm guessing that the UFO you were talking about was some sort of time ship, and that by coming in contact with it Atom was transported back in time to 1969. What we need to do is to arrive at a point in time just prior to where you met Atom in the first place. Then we make sure that he finds that UFO.”

It took me several hours to make the necessary calculations, and a few more to rewire the WABAC's control systems. The machine had never been designed to move selectively along the 5th dimension, and I suddenly realized that there was yet another coordinate in the matrix that needed to be considered if this was going to work, effectively creating a 6th dimension to space-time. I hoped I was correct, and vowed to send correspondence to Stephen Hawking about my discovery if we ever got back.
Sherman helped me enter the necessary commands to the computer, and to double check my coding. When we were both happy that I'd gotten it all right, I allowed Sherman to hit the energize button.

A long and winding wormhole appeared in front of us, which sucked the WABAC machine into it. Brightly colored rainbow like lights filled the tunnel, as a star field blue shifted in front of us, and red shifted behind us, filed the view screens. The machine began to vibrate and rotate clockwise due to friction with the walls of the worm hole, and the temperature inside our command capsule rose. We both watched the hands on the travel meter, the 'from' hand and the 'to' hand on the clock like dial approached each other slowly at first, and then much more rapidly. The two indicators met at the 12 o'clock position, and the WABAC came to a violent stop.

We were suspended about twenty feet in the air, a few hundred feet off shore near the harbor. For a split second it seemed like we'd just hover there forever, but then all at once the law of gravity was once again being obeyed and the WABAC plummeted towards the ocean below us. We barely missed hitting several ferry boats full of passengers as the machine hit the water with a huge splash and sank below the surface. It was then that I realized that our stealth shield hadn't been activated, and that our appearance over the harbor had been seen by quite a large crowd.

I quickly regained control of the WABAC, the machine is capable of flying though the air, or in outer space, and can also withstand the pressure of traveling under water as a submarine. I brought the craft to the surface, this time with our invisibility shield powered on, and flew us towards the institute of science building. I checked our current coordinates, we had arrived several hours before the WABAC's previous landing in 21st century Japan.

“Now all we have to do is to find Atom and make sure that he gets abducted by that time traveling UFO that will take him back to the 1960's,” I told Sherman.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Return to “Fan Creations”