Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Dororo (2019 Anime)

Postby Shiyonasan » 5 years ago

Official Website
First Official Trailer

Source: Anime News Network, Comic Natalie

Anime News Network wrote:Dororo TV Anime's 1st Promo Video, Cast, Staff, Visual Revealed

New series based on Osamu Tezuka's manga premieres in January 2019

The official website for the second television anime adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo manga began streaming the first promotional video for the series on Monday. The site also revealed the show's main cast, additional staff, and a visual. Additionally, the site revealed that the show will premiere in January 2019.

TVアニメ「どろろ」第1弾アニメPV

Hiroki Suzuki as Hyakkimaru

Rio Suzuki as Dororo

Mutsumi Sasaki as Biwamaru

Additionally, Mugihito will narrate the series.

Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Mobile Suit Gundam UC, Rurouni Kenshin, Getbackers) is directing the series, and Yasuko Kobayashi (Attack on Titan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Garo the Animation) is overseeing the series scripts. MAPPA (Yuri!!! on Ice, In This Corner of the World) and Tezuka Productions are animating the project from Twin Engine. Satoshi Iwataki (Ghost Hun) is adapting manga creator Hiroyuki Asada's (Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee, Cheer Boys!!, The Girl in Twilight) original character designs for animation. Yoshihiro Ike (Tiger & Bunny, The Great Passage, The Empire of Corpses) is composing the music. Amazon will exclusively stream the anime in Japan and overseas.

The supernatural historical manga previously inspired a 26-episode black-and-white anime series in 1969. The studio then, Tezuka Productions, describes the story:

The setting is the middle of the Muromachi Period, during the 1470s after the Wars of Onin and Bunmei. The story begins in the Noto Peninsula of the Hokuriku District. The main character (Hyakkimaru), who lacks as much as 48 body parts, obtains a fake body and eliminates 48 monsters that were made from his body to retrieve his missing body parts.

The story is based on Tezuka's original 1967 Dororo manga series. Vertical released the manga in a collected volume in 2012. A live-action film adaptation starring Kou Shibasaki and Satoshi Tsumabuki premiered in Japan in 2007.

Anime Sols held crowdfunding campaigns for two DVD sets for the 1969 television anime series, but the service shut down in May 2015. Discotek released the complete series with English subtitles on Blu-ray Disc.

The manga is getting a remake titled Dororo to Hyakkimaru-den (The Legend of Dororo and Hyakkimaru) that will launch in the December issue of Akita Shoten's Monthly Champion RED magazine on October 19. Satoshi Shiki is drawing the manga.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: Dororo (2019 Anime)

Postby jeffbert » 5 years ago

:D Given the extreme content of the series in 1969, I expect that this one will go further. :pirate: I can hardly wait.

Thanks for the heads-up, Shiyonasan!

I just watched the trailer, & it seems I will not be disappointed.

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Re: Dororo (2019 Anime)

Postby Uran-chama » 5 years ago

Neat! Didn't expect Dororo to ever get another adaptation. Looks pretty good so far!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

DORORO - new anime series; available on PRIME w/ subs!

I receive Tezuka newsletters, & just happened to click the link on the most recent one. DORORO the new series was all over it. Chrome translated the page: Tezuka newsletter. Scanning it, I just happened to see that PRIME will have it. I logged on, & sure enough; there it is, complete with English subtitles. :lol: :tezuka:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Re: DORORO - new anime series; available on PRIME w/ subs!

Watched the first episode a couple days ago, and it looks very promising. Looking forward to watching the rest of it!

Took them a day or so to get the English subs up but they managed to get them up asap.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 5 years ago

It's about time. I can't wait for the next episode tomorrow. Anyway, for those wanting to watch it, the link is here seeing as, unfortunately, Amazon made it as hard as possible to actually watch the show,

https://www.amazon.com/The-story-of-Dai ... rds=dororo

jeffbert
Minister of Science

:o I found it easily.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 5 years ago

jeffbert wrote::o I found it easily.

Unfortunately, same cannot be said for many people. I see quite a few comments on YouTube saying "where do I watch this?". Some are not even aware there is a legal source to support the show hence why there are people viewing it through YouTube. Oddly enough, if you're a Prime member, you can't just type in "Dororo" and find the 2019 anime (only the manga and 1969 anime), you have to go to Prime Video and then type it in. I'm not sure if that's how it works with other anime but if so, then that hurts visibility since Amazon Prime users who wants to watch it may not know how to get to it and if not, then that's an issue I want them to fix with this show.

Fortunately, the relatively notable anime personalities like ForneverEver and The Anime Man are lavishing praise for the show so here's to hoping that more people find out about it through word of mouth.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 5 years ago

How does it compare so far with the 1969 version? I haven't watched either of them and I'm choosing which one to start with.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

I'm watching the 2019 version, having not watched or read any Dororo before, and I think you'd be fine starting with this version if you want DrFrag.

Return to “General Discussion”