Astroboy colourised

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Astroboy colourised

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Here's an experiment I did in colourising a picture from the 1963 Astroboy:

I couldn't find a method to do it very fast, so I don't think I'll be colourising animations. But I think it looks good.
I used Paintshop Pro 6, with feathered magic marker selections and hue map adjustments.

Eileen sobora
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Eileen sobora » 18 years ago

Cool! :D so you used Paintshop Pro? what is that? I only know photoshop. :confused:
My Artpage http://daydream16.deviantart.com/
A perfect artist always needs to have one. ;)

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 18 years ago

ImageNice work, very TechniColor-like! The coloured-in shot comes very close to the 80's series.

This reminds me a bit at one of the first coloured movies ever made: The Wizard Of Oz. At the movie's beginning all is in b/w, and as soon Judy Garland enters the land of Oz, all is getting coloured in.Image
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 18 years ago

This is amazing! :) Interesting. I wonder if people would have prefered a colorized version of the 60s series.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

There was one episode that was made in colour, I'm not sure which one.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Eileen sobora wrote:Cool! :D so you used Paintshop Pro? what is that? I only know photoshop. :confused:

It's like Photoshop but cheaper and easier to understand. At least, the old versions were but I heard they changed a bit.
I tried following some Photoshop colourising instructions from a photography magazine but I got lost. :confused:

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 18 years ago

Hey, that's pretty cool. If I were to see the colored version and not know it was by you, i'd think it was official and be trying to find color versions of the show XD To be honest, you're actually better than most official colorizations. I seem to recall a Laural and Hardy movie that was SO badly colorized that people in the background where still in b/w >>
"This dress is supposed to be red but technicolor is SOOO expensive" :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:There was one episode that was made in colour, I'm not sure which one.

56th Episode: Earth Defense Army was the one. I think here was also a movie that basically clumped together 2 or three eps, remade in color. :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I just found out that Earth Defense Army is available subtitled on the second DVD box set of the 60s series. :cool:

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:I just found out that Earth Defense Army is available subtitled on the second DVD box set of the 60s series. :cool:

:eek: I had no idea. :hyo:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”