Astroboy colourised

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:I just found out that Earth Defense Army is available subtitled on the second DVD box set of the 60s series. :cool:

:eek: Thanks for the news. Could you post a link to where you found this info. The Right Stuf site has nothing on this. If it's true, then I'm pretty exited, because it's one of my favorite episodes. 60's Astro in full color is awesome. :astro:

There was one other Japanese episode made in color. "The Last Day on Earth" It's the one with the bomb robot "Bemo", I think was her name. The Japanese print was not in full color, but tinted hues. It started out in a blue hue and by the end of the episode the background, especially the giant sun, was bright red, but the forground, including Astro, was still in a blue tint. The U.S. print was in Black and White only. :hyo: I hope this is reproduced for dvd in the Japanese tinted color. :astro:

Both episodes were put together with one B 'n' W episode in a 1964 movie entitled "Astro Boy, the Brave in Space". I have this plus the episodes seperately in color. :astro:

Vellan
Kokoro Robot

Postby Vellan » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:Here's an experiment I did in colourising a picture from the 1963 Astroboy:

I think it's beautiful. Love your work, Dr F.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Atoman wrote: :eek: Thanks for the news. Could you post a link to where you found this info. The Right Stuf site has nothing on this. If it's true, then I'm pretty exited, because it's one of my favorite episodes. 60's Astro in full color is awesome. :astro:

This is the second Australian boxset which came out in February from Madman. The Right Stuf don't even have a second boxset listed for America yet, but they've been sharing resources so far so hopefully you guys in America will get the same deal:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=6072&method=view
**11th DVD PACKED WITH EXCLUSIVE EXTRAS**
Japanese episode with commentary (subtitled)
Japanese full-colour episode (subtitled)
Bonus Japanese final episode (subtitled)

Australian exclusive interview with Fred Ladd (Part Two)
Deleted Scenes
Fred Ladd Publicity Tour photo gallery
Character Art Gallery
Merchandise Gallery
Collector's Booklet

I didn't know "The Last Day on Earth" had colour in it. That's different from the very last episode, right? Anyway there's a colour episode and the final episode, both subtitled. I assume the colour one is Earth Defence Army, but if The Last Day on Earth is full colour then that's another possibility.

Vellan wrote:I think it's beautiful. Love your work, Dr F.

Hi Vellan! :D Thankyou. :)
Last edited by DrFrag on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

DrFrag wrote:This is the second Australian boxset which came out in February from Madman. The Right Stuf don't even have a second boxset listed for America yet, but they've been sharing resources so far so hopefully you guys in America will get the same deal:

http://www.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?releaseId=6072&method=view
**11th DVD PACKED WITH EXCLUSIVE EXTRAS**
Japanese episode with commentary (subtitled)
Japanese full-colour episode (subtitled)
Bonus Japanese final episode (subtitled)

Australian exclusive interview with Fred Ladd (Part Two)
Deleted Scenes
Fred Ladd Publicity Tour photo gallery
Character Art Gallery
Merchandise Gallery
Collector's Booklet

I didn't know "The Last Day on Earth" had colour in it. That's different from the very last episode, right? Anyway there's a colour episode and the final episode, both subtitled. I assume the colour one is Earth Defence Army, but if The Last Day on Earth is full colour then that's another possibility.

Hi Vellan! :D Thankyou. :)

Here is a quote from Shawne K:
shawnek wrote:...
We are including on set 2 the "lost" episode of "Beast from 20,000 fathoms" with a recently recovered Japanese soundtrack and Japanese commentary track (with English subtitles) as well as the final episode, in Japanese with English subtitles.

There are some other neat items on the 2nd set as well, once everything is finalized, I will drop another post here.

The first US release is set (at present) for 3/28/06. Madman has released the first set in Australia already, and the second sets should soon follow.

Enjoy!

Shawne Kleckner
Right Stuf
http://www.rightstuf.com

This is from the first of these, both of which I include for thoroughness:
Astro Boy (1963) Coming Soon
Astro Boy (1963) Set 1 Release Date Set

BTW, Digitaleyes shipped my set # yesterday! :D With my PC, I can watch two DVDs at once, & note the cuts in the English veresion.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Atoman wrote: :eek: Thanks for the news. Could you post a link to where you found this info. The Right Stuf site has nothing on this. If it's true, then I'm pretty exited, because it's one of my favorite episodes. 60's Astro in full color is awesome. :astro:

There was one other Japanese episode made in color. "The Last Day on Earth" It's the one with the bomb robot "Bemo", I think was her name. The Japanese print was not in full color, but tinted hues. It started out in a blue hue and by the end of the episode the background, especially the giant sun, was bright red, but the forground, including Astro, was still in a blue tint. The U.S. print was in Black and White only. :hyo: I hope this is reproduced for dvd in the Japanese tinted color. :astro:

Both episodes were put together with one B 'n' W episode in a 1964 movie entitled "Astro Boy, the Brave in Space". I have this plus the episodes seperately in color. :astro:

J: 71 The Last Day of Earth

E: 62 Attack From Space

:hyo:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

Originally Posted by shawnek
We are including on set 2 the "lost" episode of "Beast from 20,000 fathoms" with a recently recovered Japanese soundtrack and Japanese commentary track (with English subtitles) as well as the final episode, in Japanese with English subtitles.

It's in the first boxset in English (episode 34, disc 7). This must be the "Japanese episode with commentary (subtitled)" extra on the second boxset.

Kaileocomial
Metro City Citizen

Postby Kaileocomial » 17 years ago

OLD thread, I know... but incase anyone is still curious, the print of "Attack from Space" on the second box is indeed partially colourized. This is the regular episode, and not one of the included extras.

And you've answered the question I was going to ask, which was "Why is this one coloured?"

A GREAT episode IMO, coloured or not!
Last edited by Kaileocomial on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 17 years ago

Kaileocomial wrote:OLD thread, I know... but incase anyone is still curious, the print of "Attack from Space" on the second box is indeed partially colourized. This is the regular episode, and not one of the included extras.

And you've answered the question I was going to ask, which was "Why is this one coloured?"

A GREAT episode IMO, coloured or not!

It was made in monochrome, but in a blueish or reddish one, rather than grayscale:

zeo
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby zeo » 17 years ago

"there you go astro boy-(now in color)-on your mission today..."

sorry,could resist XD
thats brilliant! must'ave taken a while,even in photoshop.
yeah,i too have a deviant art acount ^.^ pop in some time to enjoy the fine art of rubishness!
as aproved by astro boy!
http://firelancess78.deviantart.com/
as aproved by astro boy!
ImageImageImage...what?

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”