1960's Astro Boy Season 1 DVD Box Set (Discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
OsamuTezuka
Kokoro Robot

1960's Astro Boy Season 1 DVD Box Set (Discussion)

Postby OsamuTezuka » 18 years ago

my 1960's Astro Boy DVD box set arrived today (the R1 one from RightStuf, that I ordered from DeepDiscountDVD.com for $70 ;D)

The set comes in 6 slim (but not quite as slim as the Manga 80s set) clamshell cases inside a thick cardbord box/cover with nifty art. Each clamshell case has reversable box art covers in them. The outer box cover has the cover artwork you've seen on websites, and the inner box shows the inside parts of Astro's chest. We've got 11 discs including and extras disc that features Part 1 of an interview with series producer Fred Ladd, original character art gallery, merchandise gallery, and original japanese episodes #1 and #20 with japanese subtitles. Like the 80s Astroboy sets, this set also includes a 32-page booklet. This booklet is NOT the same one that comes with the 1980s Astroboy sets. Although there is some material (like Tezuka's bio) from the 80s booklet in it there is also some different stuff like a history of the 1960's Astro Boy series.

the "lost" episode #34 (Monster from 20,000 leagues) is included. Also of interest is that on the back of each clamshell case there is an image from each episode on the contained discs. The image for episode #32 (the Moon Monsters) is in colour. I haven't watched any of these DVDs yet but I'll add more to this thread when I do. All in all a very nice DVD set from first glance.

Was the episode order shuffled for the english version like what was done for the 80s and 2003 series? The booklet only contains one episode list but it has descriptions of all the episodes.

So does anyone else have this set yet?

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 18 years ago

I'll add my comments for the Madman (Region 4) version of the same thing.

It comes in a silver metal box, and contains 11 slimline DVD cases with B&W artwork. (there's pictures of them at the Ministry of Science)
On the backs are screenshots for the episodes that are on that disc. Episode #32 has a B&W picture, I haven't watched that episode yet so I don't know if there's any colour. The "lost" episode is included.

The booklet is probably the same, it has a bit about Tezuka, then Shawne Kleckner's (from The Right Stuf) article on Astroboy and the episode guide.

The extras disk sounds the same as the R1 release too. Two subtitled episodes, part one of the interview with Fred Ladd, and some artwork and merchandise pictures.

The episode order is different from the Japanese order, but the two lists are usually kept separate anyway. I think this is because the English order skipped episodes, so re-sorting them would introduce gaps. I have a list here, but I haven't matched them all up yet. Jeffbert probably has though. :)

Atoman
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Atoman » 18 years ago

Hey all,

:w00t: I too have the U.S. release from the Right Stuf. I too noticed the inconsistency with the color pic of "Moon Monsters" and the BnW print on the disc. But I contacted the Right Stuf about it and they said that they didn't recieve the color print in time for the box 1 release, but they said it will be on the extras disc in box set 2 later this year. I guess they didn't have time to change the color pic. on the case before release either. I was so releaved that it will be included later. :astro:

Box set 1 is great. they did a nice job restoring the episodes, concidering what they had to work with: Secondary English prints, low-fi soundtracks on some("Colosal"/"Franken" is one), and sometimes having to use Japanese prints fused with English soundtracks. But there're so much better that the vhs tapes. As soon as box set 2 is released, I can get rid of my tapes and free up some much needed shelf space. :astro:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 18 years ago

Wow! This one just kind of snuck up on me. Order placed! (should be noted that deepdiscountdvd.com is temporarily out of stock.) I've always wanted to see these episodes since they seemed closest to the spirit of the manga (though obviously changed a lot more by the US than the 80's version was.)
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

OsamuTezuka
Kokoro Robot

Postby OsamuTezuka » 18 years ago

O2Destroyer wrote:Wow! This one just kind of snuck up on me. Order placed! (should be noted that deepdiscountdvd.com is temporarily out of stock.) I've always wanted to see these episodes since they seemed closest to the spirit of the manga (though obviously changed a lot more by the US than the 80's version was.)

Although I haven't really seen hardly any of the 60's series, I believe it's the only one of the three that features Astro's robot brother (not Atlas, the other one).

Atoman wrote:I too have the U.S. release from the Right Stuf. I too noticed the inconsistency with the color pic of "Moon Monsters" and the BnW print on the disc. But I contacted the Right Stuf about it and they said that they didn't recieve the color print in time for the box 1 release, but they said it will be on the extras disc in box set 2 later this year. I guess they didn't have time to change the color pic. on the case before release either. I was so releaved that it will be included later.

So this episode was colourized? I've also seen colourized images of the "lost" episode too. Was that really also colourized? What's the deal with these odd colourized episodes anyway? :confused:

The image/audio quality really is pretty good for stuff that's over 40 years old. I love how the menu seamlessly transitions into an episode when you select an episode. Great stuff! :astro:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I think it was at the end of the B&W anime era. They started production of Kimba in, what, 1965? And that was all colour. In fact I think they were making colour Kimba while they were still making B&W Astroboy.

I don't know why they picked one or two to colourise though.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 18 years ago

OsamuTezuka wrote:Although I haven't really seen hardly any of the 60's series, I believe it's the only one of the three that features Astro's robot brother (not Atlas, the other one).

If you're speaking about Cobalt, yes he has appeared only in the 1960 serie.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

jennytablina
Metro City Citizen

Postby jennytablina » 18 years ago

To the people who have brought the sets:

How does the 60's series stand after all these years? I've watched only the first episode and was kinda surprised at how much further it went into the story than the 2003 or even 80's went to a degree. The video I watched was also quite jumpy. Is this the same quality or better?

Might pick this up sometime though I think I'll wait. After being burned with my attempts at getting the kimba sets. I'm not quite so keen on buying online as I was before.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I never grew up with the 60s series, so at first I couldn't get over the poor animation quality and lack of colour.

But after watching a few episodes, the style and story has grown on me and I quite enjoy it.

The animation quality seems to be consistent, but there are a few episodes with really poor audio quality. Sounds like someone held a mic up to a TV to record it (and then cleaned it up digitally). Which may have been not far from what happened, since a lot of work was done finding lost copies and who knows what condition they were in.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

1963 English sequence & titles

Postby jeffbert » 18 years ago

Astroboy 1960s
Episode list

Episode Titles Sorted by the English Sequence
(Only shows those episodes that were translated into English)

English Number English Title Japanese Number Japanese Title

Data regarding these titles and this (English) sequence:
18 VHS cassettes TRSI;
http://www.astroboy.tv

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/astroboy.htm

Data regarding these (Japanese) titles and this (Japanese) sequence:
http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/subtitle/ts002.html

These data were in 4 columns, but are rather sloppy in text-only form. The 1st numbers and titles are the English versions, 2nd, are Japanese. If only my HTML were enabled.

1 Birth of Astro Boy (1 Birth of Astro Boy)

2 Colosso (2 Frankenstein)

3 Expedition to Mars (3 Adventure on Mars)

4 Sphinx (5 Sphinx)

5 Cross Island (12 Cruciform Island)

6 Grass Boy (15 Plant People)

7 Zero, the Invisible Robot (6 Lightning Man)

8 Silver Comet (16 Vehicle, White Planet)

9 Hullabaloo Land (17 Robot Land)

10 Spirit Machine (8 Ghost Manufacturing Machine)

11 Strange Voyage (10 Fool Ivan)

12 Artificial Sun (14 Artificial Sun)

13 Deep Freeze (9 Black Looks)

14 One Million Mammoth Snails (4 Guernica)

15 Gangor the Monster (18 Gadem)

16 Secret Agent 3-Z (30 Fuhrer ZZZ)

17 The Haunted Ship (62 Phantom Ship)

18 Time Machine (11 Time Machine)

19 Cosmic Giant (19 Astro Boy vs. Garon)

20 Toxor, the Mist Man (20 Gaseous Beings)

21 Satellite R-45 (21 SatelliteR-45)

22 Sea Serpent Isle (22 Sea Serpent Island)

23 Deadly Flies (23 Mutant)

24 Kingdom of the Sea 24 Submarine Kingdom

25 Strange Birthday Present 37 Uran-Chan

26 Don Tay's Infernal Machine 26 Atlas

27 Pearl People 27 Planet Pearl

28 Wacky Machine 28 Mad Machine

29 Memory Day 29 Memorable Day

30 The Super Duper Robot 59 Robot Buron X

31 Mysterious Cosmic Rays 31 Black Cosmic Ray

32 The Moon Monsters 56 Earth Defense Army

33 The Three Magicians 33 Two Magicians

34 Beast From 20 Fathoms 34 Midoro Marsh

35 Planet X 35 Human Farm

36 The Elixir of Life 36 The Religion of Pui Pui

37 Astroboy goes to School 57 Robot School

38 The Asteroid Menace 38 Disturbed Small Planet

39 Mysterious Cat 39 Red Cat

40 The Abominable Snowman 40 Neo Caesar

41 Deadline to Danger 41 X Bomb

42 The Island of Mystery 58 Thirteen Mysterious Statues of God

43 Ditto 43 His Highness Dead Cross

44 Cleopatra’s Heart 44 Egyptian Conspirators

45 Return of Cleopatra 45 Cleopatra's Necklace

46 Phantom Space Ship 46 Robot Spaceship

47 Gigantic Space Crab 47 Cosmic Crab

48 Great Space Horse 48 Tenma Tribe

49 3D Tee Vee 49 Transparent Giant

50 Westward, Ha! 50 Astro Boy Goes to the West

51 Jimbo the Great 51 Little Elephant Pura

52 Snow Lion 52 Snow Lion

The end of Set #1. I have just a few titles to confirm, but I would be surprised if any are wrong.

Set #2 (I have yet to confirm the titles):

53 Dogma Palace 60 Demon Bees

54 Man-Made Iceberg 63 Artificial Iceberg

55 Vampire Vale 64 Count Bat

56 The Terrible Tidal Wave 65 Brave Escapee

57 Vikings 66 Space Viking

58 Devil Doll 67 Heroes of the Night

59 Dinosaur Dilemma 68 Rebellion of the Dinosaur People

60 Clock Tower Mystery 69 Secret of the Clock Tower

61 Flower Monster 70 Rafflesia

62 Attack From Space 71 Last Day of Earth

63 Shipwreck in Space 72 7 Days of Drifting in Space

64 Big Titan 73 Big Titan

65 Mission to the Middle of the World 74 Earth Expedition

66 Inca Gold Fever 75 Flying City

67 Monster Machine 76 Monster Machine

68 “Hooligan Whodunit?” 77 Cape Town Lullaby

69 Funnel to The Future 78 World in Five Hundred Thousand Years

70 Super Brain 79 Dr. Brain

71 Mighty Minute 80 Humanoid Bill

72 Dream Machine 81 Dreaming Machine

73 Robot Olympics 82 Robot Olympics

74 Dunder, Bird of Doom 83 Strange Bird, Garuda

75 Dolphins in Distress 84 Dolphin Civilization

76 Mad Beltway 85 Demented Beltway

77 Terrible Time Gun 86 Time Gun

78 Space Princess 87 Princess Kaguya

79 Mighty Microbe Army 88 Bacteria Corps

80 Horrible King Horrid 89 Gomes’ Ghost

81 Mystery of Amless Dam 90 Robot Fortress

82 Galon From Galaxy 91 Garon’s Counterattack

83 Three Robotiers 92 Three Robot Knights

84 Brother Jetto 93 Cobalt

85 Angel of the Alps 94 Angel in the Alps

86 Magic Punch Card 95 Evil Punch Card

87 Great Rocket Robbery 96 Robot Future

88 Contest in Space 97 Confrontation in Space

89 Gift of Zeo 98 Zeo's Legacy

90 Deep Deep Secret 99 Little Columbus

91 Wonderful Christmas Present 100 Robot House

92 Uncharted World 101 Unmapped World

93 Jungle Mystery 102 Queen of the Devils' Place

94 Terrible Spaceman 103 Stairs Leading into Space

95 Mighty Mite From Ursa Minor 106 Boy from Outer Space

96 General Astro 105 General Atom

97 Mystery of the Metal Men 107 Release of the Earth

98 Super Human Beings 108 Saturn Man

99 Phoenix Bird 109 Phoenix

100 Menace from Mercury 110 Expedition on Mercury

101 Dangerous Mission 113 “Back,” the Country without Laughter

102 Planet 13 119 Flying Lens

103 Prisoners in Space 121 Ganimate

104 Double Trouble 124 Parting Gift

© Copyright 2006 Jeffbert

I place my copyright here, because even though these data are from other sources, I took the time to match episode titles and descriptions between the two versions.
Last edited by jeffbert on Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”